Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering putting a marine hatch in the roof of my promaster above the bed. The idea is to have extra light, view the stars, have roof access, etc.

A guy did it to his promaster and put up a video here.

Before I pull the trigger on this, I'd like to know whether anyone has negative opinions or is aware of risks I might not have considered.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Screen?

·
Registered
2018 159"
23 Posts
Hi All,
We installed one in our build and it has been great for all the reasons you want to put one in.
Regarding the screen issue:
We utilize the screws that hold the interior roof panels to the vehicle and magnets to hold either a piece of insect screen or black out curtain (depending on the situation) over the opening. It's a bit hard to explain. I have included a picture of ours with no screen, hopefully you can see the screw heads that I am talking about that surround the opening.
The only negative I can think of is that as it is made of Aluminum and is both inside and outside, it has a tendency to accumulate condensation so the frame requires a wipe on cold mornings to prevent build up. It is not a big deal though.
We do really like the low profile nature of it and the fact that it should never leak as it is designed for far wetter applications.

Good luck with your decision!
20200221_124648.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Im in the process of building the van. I'm also putting a flat platform on the roof and plan to sleep up there during the summer night and using the hatch as an access port to the roof. Davo's setup is super clean, im still trying to figure out how to make it look clean in the inside.
I got mine new from a local marine surplus for 1/3 of the original cost.

Reactions: roisineva

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
We installed one in our build and it has been great for all the reasons you want to put one in.
We utilize the screws that hold the interior roof panels to the vehicle and magnets to hold either a piece of insect screen or black out curtain (depending on the situation) over the opening. It's a bit hard to explain. I have included a picture of ours with no screen, hopefully you can see the screw heads that I am talking about that surround the opening.
The only negative I can think of is that as it is made of Aluminum and is both inside and outside, it has a tendency to accumulate condensation so the frame requires a wipe on cold mornings to prevent build up. It is not a big deal though.
We do really like the low profile nature of it and the fact that it should never leak as it is designed for far wetter applications.

View attachment 61215
Davo, this is great. Can I ask how heavy your hatch is? I've just bought a marine hatch. It's a flanged version, now 'low profile' and is 10.5kg, feeling quite heavy. I'm trying to find out whether the roof can carry it or how best to go about the install to support it as much as possible. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im in the process of building the van. I'm also putting a flat platform on the roof and plan to sleep up there during the summer night and using the hatch as an access port to the roof. Davo's setup is super clean, im still trying to figure out how to make it look clean in the inside.
I got mine new from a local marine surplus for 1/3 of the original cost.
View attachment 61521 View attachment 61522
This looks great too! Can you tell me what weight your hatch is please? I just bought one that is 10.5kg and wondering whether it's too heavy for the roof

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know the weight but the roof can handle it. I actually tried stand on top of the hatch when its closed. But I don't put any weight on the aluminum edge when I climbing in and out of the roof since I can see it flex a bit. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

View attachment 61215
I'm in love with your photo - could you tell us more info about what hatch that is? Thank you!

·
Registered
2018 159"
23 Posts
I'm in love with your photo - could you tell us more info about what hatch that is? Thank you!
Hi VanBikeDog,
The hatch is a Bomar
We got it from West Marine, it was an ex demonstration model so the size wasn't something I chose, it just so happened to fit nicely between two roof ribs. The opening is a little over 19". I can dig up the exact part number if you like but, it was a few years ago now so it might take a couple of days.

All the best,
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi VanBikeDog,
The hatch is a Bomar
We got it from West Marine, it was an ex demonstration model so the size wasn't something I chose, it just so happened to fit nicely between two roof ribs. The opening is a little over 19". I can dig up the exact part number if you like but, it was a few years ago now so it might take a couple of days.

All the best,
Dave
Hey, thank you so much, Dave. But you don't need to go to the trouble. I decided to just go for it and purchased a Lewmar Size 54 (15x20 opening, I think). I am so excited about having it for star gazing and roof access. I want to get the hatch and the fan installed chop chop so that I can splurge again and order the Aluminess roof rack. Having a deck and access to it from the inside is my top priority - everything else just serves that. Thank you for responding to my request - I hope I caught you soon enough before you went to any bother. Cheers and see you on the road!
-Furgon Conclusion / Susana

1 - 14 of 14 Posts