Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do this or not. I have a maxfan that is in the front middle of my van. I am thinking about installing a sailing hatch over my bed in the rear. Do you know anybody that has done this? It would offer a way to get on the roof from inside vehicle, a way to shoot pics/videos while moving. It opens 100 degrees, is lockable from inside and outside, and should be waterproof.

I just don't know if this would compromise the waterproofing of the vehicle. 3-4 months of the year this van is in heavy snow.

Only van I know that has it is here:

·
Registered
167 Posts
My guess is that any hatch cover/vent that is designed for sailboats is going to be waterproof enough for a van, if it is properly installed. However, sailboats are usually a bit thicker skinned than vans, so you should check the specs for assembly before doing the real thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do this or not. I have a maxfan that is in the front middle of my van. I am thinking about installing a sailing hatch over my bed in the rear. Do you know anybody that has done this? It would offer a way to get on the roof from inside vehicle, a way to shoot pics/videos while moving. It opens 100 degrees, is lockable from inside and outside, and should be waterproof.

I just don't know if this would compromise the waterproofing of the vehicle. 3-4 months of the year this van is in heavy snow.

Only van I know that has it is here: (link)
Matt,

I also saw that same video and was also interested in using a sailing hatch. Did you end up installing the hatch? If so, how has it performed? Which specific hatch were you looking at?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed one of these sunroofs in my Promaster, above the bed. It is really easy to pop out for getting on the roof or shooting. I do like the idea of hatch though. The sunroof will pop open about 2" on its hinges, and you can drive with it open. To remove it, there are tabs on the two hinges that just pop open easily, and it is about as easy to replace it. The biggest benefit to the hatch is that it stays on the hinges when you open it.

The install of the sunroof was super easy. The hard part was having a nice finish around the round edge of the sunroof. Looking at marine hatches, they seem to be the same idea. Although ships are thicker than sheet metal, the ridges in the roof of the promaster make the mounting area effectively thicker, once you fill in the gaps. I'm not sure if this was a good endorsement for the sunroof or not, but it seems like a worthwhile consideration.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/C-R-LAURENCE-AP1530B5H-AutoPort-Universal/dp/B00QL4VIPA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522126240&sr=1-1&keywords=cr+laurence+sunroof[/ame]

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,712 Posts
Of course if you are looking for a sunroof, I have the same unit for sale. Was going to post on eBAY but didn't get around to it... maybe in a few weeks.

Until then, it's available! http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74722

I'm willing to split shipping to you... just $198

Hein said a while back that he makes an adapter to mount at the back.

Not my pictures.... borrowed from another thread from danvandam... thanks DVD!

Hope it's OK with the OP to add this as a possible Plan B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts