Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look at these manual double steps (for my short wife with the bad knees), for example https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Stromberg-Carlson/SMFP-2120.html, and I think they look great. But when I look under the passenger door I don't see any way to mount such a critter!

I know that there are any number of threads about steps, but I couldn't find where anybody told what brand of double step they used and how they mounted it. By the way this is a 2015 159" 3500 we are talking about. I have a road trip in about 3 weeks and would like to get this done for the missus.

Are there steps for the ProMaster? Some sort of mounting plate or outrigger that I need? Anything???

Help!

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
The price is right, but- the Promaster is quite low and no real room to mount them up out of the way I think. If you can return them it might be worthwhile to order on and try and make it fit. Good luck you’re going to need it ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably wasn't clear; I haven't bought anything yet, but would love some advice on the best way to put some steps on for my little lady. I suppose I'll end up adding a running board, but it's not really what I wanted.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
Consider a 10" wide Carr hoop step for the front, 20" for the slider. They effectively add a step about halfway from the ground and the van floor.

At 5'5" and 5'3" they work really well for me and my wife. Not too expensive, a little bit of a pain to install.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/CARR-103991-HOOP-Black-Powder/dp/B000CITTW0[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
this is what most of us use although, as Ed says, they are a PITA to install.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll have to settle for some portable folding steps. With her knees, she struggles with anything more than about 8" max. And spending $1000++ for power steps is way over budget! Too bad I can't find a fixed double step for the passenger door, though... that would be sweet!

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,494 Posts
Until you come up with a permanent solution, look at the one step stool by cosco, sold at all discount stores. This is lightweight, folds flat and will fit in the foot well with door closed. If the passenger needs to lift or let down the step I recommend a hook tethered to the door. Tethering to the door prevents the hook from falling to the ground if you loose your grip. A rope creates a tripping hazard.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,127 Posts
Hi,

When one of us was recovering from a surgery, we added a couple things to our running board setup that made entry and exit easier. They were so handy that we just left them in place after recovery.

One thing was a step that makes a wider spot on the running board. The running board is kind of narrow when getting out of the van -- wider step makes it easier.

Its just MDO plywood held on by stainless bolts.

More details on extra handles/steps on this page:
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/promaster-camper-van-conversion-running-boards/
Down at the bottom of the page.
The added post/handle at the sliding door is very nice for easy entry/exit.

The added steps/handles still don't solve the less than 8 inch steps, but does make getting in and out easier.

One think you might experiment with if you add the running board is attaching a step similar to the one in picture above, but bolted to the bottom of the running board instead of top -- this makes the first step about 8 inches.

Gary

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, gang. I will be using some sort of step stool until a better thing comes along.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
What is the brand of this running board please?
Here's a link. Ionic Factory Style Running Boards. I went with the long one on each side

1 - 17 of 17 Posts