Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've had my van awhile, I'm amazed at some of the complaints posted here that I found to be a non issue. Mountains out of mole hills

So I thought it would be fun to give my list and ask others join in

1) Deal breaker, because I can't see out the top of the windshield. Say what! I'm 6'2 and can see traffic lights better than any car or truck I've ever driven.

2) steering wheel doesn't tilt. Yeah, but it is still easy to reach. It's just different. Like Ralf the buss driver, who loves Lucy. After lots of 10 hour drives, turns out I'm more comfortable and less fatigued in this drivers position than my pickup truck. I now love it so much

3) the package shelf blocks my view out the windshield. Huh! See number 1. I've got the package shelf. Love it. It should be standard. The best place for sunglasses I've ever had in a vehicle

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
Similarly, I have shaken my head at the complaints about the unlocking fob that takes TWO SEPARATE MOVEMENTS with your thumb to lock or unlock your Pm front and back. This might mean moving your thumb half an inch.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Dwight,

Ralph the bus driver loves Alice, not Lucy... Ricky loves Lucy!

Everything else you guys have said, I agree with. But....

You have to admit, the brake squeal IS annoying. And the fact that I can't get any info on the wiring going to the switch panel where the All Lock button is seems so simple, but it seems, so impossible!

All told, I'm about 95% happy with my choice to get a PM. No mountains here in CT!;)

Ed

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ralph the bus driver loves Alice, not Lucy... Ricky loves Lucy! Is this the time of free love again??? I don't know but I absolutely love my PM!

Yes PM's have their idiosyncrasies but every vehicle I've had had little things I'd have done differently if I was the designer.

One and only one Gripe: HATE the brake squeal, but will get different pads when I get the chance. Cheap and easy fix...

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Tho I only did a test drive let me add the automatically shifted manual transmission. A bit Quirky... yes, but satisfactory and in a few miles I was used to it and happy in the way it works. No Park is a bit discomforting though. I'd have expected it to be able to be put in Low gear when shut off as a "Park" I loved the Diesel, it's quiet, and it pulls like it had 295 lb. feet of torque...... Oh yea it does! LUV it!

RALPH

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
One feature that I love and that most of you hate, is the transmission braking when going downhill.

One my part, if it wasn't from the brake squeaks and the soso service I get from my dealer, I would be 100% satisfied.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The brake squeal, the TPMS yellow warning light always on even though the tires are a perfect 60/72, the cranky lock system, the dome light fuse blowing, the wiper sprayers dislodging, staying in low gear revving to 5k for no reason, the horrible traction in snow (stock tires), the rear door that won't latch periodically despite torx adjustment (meaning the whole van cannot be locked) .....
..... but I still love the van and would have still bought it knowing the above.

·
Registered
424 Posts
And in contrast to the above ...

I have the brake squeal "they all do it" but I consider it to be minor. Only time the TPMS came on was when one of the tires actually was a bit low. My locks work fine. The dome light fuse hasn't blown. Wiper sprayers have stayed put, the transmission shifts when it should (note that the 62TE has some inherent quirks, the 2-3 shift will sometimes be awkward but it's because of the way the transmission is designed, it's not that there is anything "wrong" with it). Yes, you have to slam the back door to make sure the latch catches all the way.

My only beefs ...

It would be nice to be able to override the auto downshifting on downhills ... or only have it do that when you tap the brake pedal, or only do it in "tow-haul", or not do it when I have manually selected 6th gear. Not to have *any* way to overrule this ... is a minor irritant and nothing more.

Haven't figured out how to make Uconnect work with USB. But ... streaming music from my phone works fine, so I stopped bothering with USB.

And the stock tires are probably good for load capacity and longevity, but horrible for grip.

The driving position and steering wheel angle are non-issues. I have found mine to be comfortable on long trips. Good enough.

Visibility out the windows? Hah, better forward and side visibility than anything else I've owned. Rear quarter visibility is terrible, though :)

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
My only complaint is the overpriced Uconnect 5. I would love a head unit that connects up with my iPhone & iPad seamlessly and had a viewable size screen instead of a toy like window.

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
My only complaint is the overpriced Uconnect 5. I would love a head unit that connects up with my iPhone & iPad seamlessly and had a viewable size screen instead of a toy like window.
I think the same. What also annoys me a little bit is that most of the programming (trip computer, date and time) is done via the touch screen. What happens if the screen stops working?

·
Registered
259 Posts
You must have a short upper torso because I have my seat as low as possible and I still have to stay WAY back from some traffic lights to see them (or bend forward and crane my neck.) I'm 6'0" tall.

1) Deal breaker, because I can't see out the top of the windshield. Say what! I'm 6'2 and can see traffic lights better than any car or truck I've ever driven.

3) the package shelf blocks my view out the windshield. Huh! See number 1. I've got the package shelf. Love it. It should be standard. The best place for sunglasses I've ever had in a vehicle

·
Registered
259 Posts
I live where there are lots of moderate hills and I find myself usualy having to GIVE IT GAS to get to the bottom of the hills not to mention the lost momentum for going up the other side so I hate the tranny/engine breaking. Must be a terrain thing.

Other than that and the forward visability issue for taller people and few other quirks I LOVE MY VAN. Wouldn't trade it for any of the other "new" cargo vans out there for (almost) anything. Checked out a Transit the other day, that high cargo area load in height would be a complete deal breaker for me.

Actually something I also like a lot.
One feature that I love and that most of you hate, is the transmission braking when going downhill.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I live where there are lots of moderate hills and I find myself usualy having to GIVE IT GAS to get to the bottom of the hills not to mention the lost momentum for going up the other side so I hate the tranny/engine breaking. Must be a terrain thing.

Other than that and the forward visability issue for taller people and few other quirks I LOVE MY VAN. Wouldn't trade it for any of the other "new" cargo vans out there for (almost) anything. Checked out a Transit the other day, that high cargo area load in height would be a complete deal breaker for me.

Does the engine/tranny braking also kick in when the cruise control is on?
i havent noticed my yet. Itll be a while till i drive out of town and encounter some hills.
thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
The automatic downshifting on downhills happens regardless of cruise control operation or not.

I can understand why it would be a good thing to do on cruise control, I can understand why it would be a good thing in "tow/haul", too. For that matter, I can understand why it would be a good thing if the driver has the brake pedal pressed even slightly. But otherwise ... let it coast! Especially if I manually select 6th gear! There is no way to override it.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I don't have cruise and it downshifts but you know I've actually got used to it and now I don't even think about it when it does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After close to two weeks of my new PM2500 my only gripes are:
the squeaky brakes and I really gotta slam my sliding door to get it to lock-
haven't noticed anything horrible with snow traction- and I'm getting used to the steering wheel configuration-
all in all I am pricing and configuring how I want to set up my shelves inside and once that and my cargo floor is in I think it will be heaven- can't even think of going back to my old work van- which I'm trying to figure out if I should sell it or not- my old work van that is.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have noticed that some have said they would not buy PM because it's Ugly? This seems illogical to me. If it works who cares what it looks like. Function over form.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts