Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Two questions for this very experienced group- What is the best product / technique to take care of the all the heavily faded black plastic on my 2014 Promaster? And question #2- What is the best product and routine to preserve the black on my 2019 I picked up in December? Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On my 14 I use Back to Black spray on. The molding are dark gray and t he spray makes them look 90% like new again for about 6 weeks. The only issue I have with the product is any over spray will dry sticky and collect road grime. Then it won't wash off easily. I wind up having to clean up with a cloth with some paint thinner on it. The directions say to wipe off the over spray after application. But that just smears it vice removing it.

Reactions: DavidMFear

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Yeah, Armor-All has issues with over spray, too. I apply it liberally on a rag and try to keep it off the paint, glass, etc. In fact, I won't buy it in an aerosol can. I look for a container I can pour from.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,263 Posts
Mothers Back to Black or Meguiar’s Ultimate black work best. Get the wipe on and like the others said don’t get it on the paint or you will spend hours cleaning it off.
I use Mequiar's Ultimate black myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IF YOU TRY THIS, TEST IT ON INCONSPICUOUS SPOT AND TAKE YOUR TIME.
old hot rod guy taught me this trick. i bought an $18.00 heat gun from harbor freight, i held the gun approx. 3" from the plastic surface and swept back and forth like a spray gun, you'll see the plastic start to change a little and keep moving, don't touch the surface, or it will burn a mark into it. keep sweeping and it'll turn back into a deep rich color. it usually last me about a year. it takes me about an hour. just my way, so be very careful and safe. take all necessary precautions, gloves goggles fire extinguisher etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
old hot rod guy taught me this trick. i bought an $18.00 heat gun from harbor freight, i held the gun approx. 3" from the plastic surface and swept back and forth like a spray gun, you'll see the plastic start to change a little and keep moving, don't touch the surface, or it will burn a mark into it. keep sweeping and it'll turn back into a deep rich color. it usually last me about a year. it takes me about an hour. just my way, so be very careful and safe. take all necessary precautions, gloves goggles fire extinguisher etc.
Have done this for about 10 years on a Chevy Avalanche (plastic heaven), works great but here in the South you'll be lucky to get 6 months before having to do it again. I noticed that after about 3 years of doing this, the black plastic has given up the ghost with it looking as good as before.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 159 HT
61 Posts
I just happen to have a heatgun. I remember the guy at the body shop said something about using some heat. Makes sense now. Proceeding with caution. ?

·
Registered
2018 Carado Banff
3 Posts
I used Rustoleum Plastic Paint and painted all of the molding black. I've done this to the fender flares on my Wrangler and it will last 4 or 5 years over several salty roads and mud. I intend on removing the three front bumper pieces on my PM painting them. It's a lot of work, with the preparation and painting, but the deep black color lasts a heck of a lot longer than any spray on protectant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
Two questions for this very experienced group- What is the best product / technique to take care of the all the heavily faded black plastic on my 2014 Promaster? And question #2- What is the best product and routine to preserve the black on my 2019 I picked up in December? Thank you in advance for any help.
Meguiar's Ultimate black

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,858 Posts
Ok, I know this is a vintage thread but the last reply stuck in my mind and after using Aerospace 303 Protectant, which is also recommended on the Forester forum, I was seriously disappointed and felt a need to respond back here.

It looks great after you first put it on, not too shiny either, but unfortunately it's water-based and when it rained overnight I had a streaked mess on all the external black plastic. It ran all over the place during another recent rain, hence this reply. Great for interior plastic but not too sure of it's longevity or effectiveness, and certainly don't think it's worth the extra cost. Used to be able to buy low gloss Armor All so may look for that again.

A friend suggested having all the exterior plastic painted to match the van, has anyone here done that?

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,858 Posts
Not freshly washed that day but yes very clean and as I wrote, it looked really good afterward. Has yours help up well even after being rained on? I noticed upon rereading the label it says to wipe it off after applying, which I didn't do with Armor All so didn't do with 303 since there wasn't much if any to wipe off anyway. I've still got most of the bottle so will try it again when there's no rain expected and see if it holds up better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts