Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for that info. I have almost 5000 miles now. Just wondering when maintenance light should come on.
When the light comes on will depend on the type of use. As mentioned "severe duty" such as off road use or dusty conditions, lots of short trips, extreme temperatures and/or trailer towing could be as short as 3500 miles. The suggested interval for normal use is no more than 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is for the Promaster van.
According to the manual the gasser doesn't require synthetic oil but I plan on putting mobil 1 in after the break-in period. Synthetic is by far the best oil and you also have to keep within the recommended specifications and that does say you can use it OR NOT if you decide to go that route. I think if I lived in a climate that never got below 40 degrees I would opt for the natural oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In regards to the oil change light coming on. I just changed my oil at 9250 miles. The light can on at about 9000 miles. I am waiting the results of the lab report to let me know what life was left in the oil. This will determine the change intervals in the future. I drive 800 to 900 miles a week at about 80% are highway miles. Oil change was very easy and I put a full synthetic in the pm and got between 1 to 1.5 mpg better right out of the gate.

Coffeeman331

·
Registered
20 Posts
In regards to the oil change light coming on. I just changed my oil at 9250 miles. The light can on at about 9000 miles. I am waiting the results of the lab report to let me know what life was left in the oil. This will determine the change intervals in the future. I drive 800 to 900 miles a week at about 80% are highway miles. Oil change was very easy and I put a full synthetic in the pm and got between 1 to 1.5 mpg better right out of the gate.

Coffeeman331
I just went to synthetic the first change (just over 5k miles ... that is just when I do it regardless) and my mpg jumped about 1 MPG as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, so right after I changed the oil, the oil change message showed up. How does one reset that? Looking all over and no answer yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My Ducato 2.3 Mjt has oil change intervals of 45000 km (27963 miles).
So the diesel will be cheaper to mantain than the gas version almost about the oil changes...

·
Registered
180 Posts
From the OM:
"Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Change Engine Oil” message will
display in the EVIC display. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent
upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and
release the MODE button. To reset the oil change indicator
system (after performing the scheduled maintenance),
refer to the following procedure.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not
start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly, three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just changed oil in diesel promaster. Oil cost $82, filter was $54. Think Gas motor oil change would be much less. Filter for gad is $7. oil is 52.

·
Super Moderator
9,479 Posts
I don't know where you are buying your oil & filters but you should look around. I just did mine over the weekend (gas) Wix filter and 6 qts of Pennzoil 5W-20 synthetic and my total cost was $28. I bought 10 filters up front (about $4 each in bulk) when I got the Promaster and you can always find the correct synthetic oil on sale for about $24/6 if you look around. I buy several cases when I find it on sale.

·
Registered
473 Posts
According to the manual the gasser doesn't require synthetic oil but I plan on putting mobil 1 in after the break-in period. Synthetic is by far the best oil and you also have to keep within the recommended specifications and that does say you can use it OR NOT if you decide to go that route. I think if I lived in a climate that never got below 40 degrees I would opt for the natural oil.
Mobile 1 does not meet Chrysler oil spec MS 6942. I use Pennzoil Pure Platinum 5w20 which does meet Chrysler specs.

·
Super Moderator
9,479 Posts
Exactly! On sale right now at about $27/6 also. Funny how gas prices go down and oil prices go up!:(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mobile "Super Synthetic" meets all specs. (Mobile 1 does not). I have found Wix filter and 5 quart combo for well under $30. Takes 10 minutes to change myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cut and paste from the manual

I searched my DVD for MS-6395 and this is what I got: (2014 3.6 gasoline of course)

MOPAR® SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®, Shell Helix® or equivalent. is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment” illustration in this section.

NOTE:
MOPAR® SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®, Shell Helix® or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts