Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the campervan world and just in the first stages of converting so this question may be a stupid one. I completed my sub floor and decided I would take a test sleep in the van with a futon mattress and sleeping bag just because I was excited to have the floor done. I tried 3 different nights and I noticed a sensation of wanting to pass out which I thought was very odd. I have the maxxair fan installed and open but not hooked up to power. Is it possible the main battery is off gassing and since I'm sleeping on floor its causing this sensation. I know this seems far fetched but I cant think of anything else. I ended up cracking the front windows to get some airflow and issue seemed to go away.

• I suppose I should note Ive never had this problem sleeping before (this is my first time sleeping in a van)
  • The van is angled but I sleep with head at higher elevation
  • Its been raining and cold
  • Could it be the foam board glue in the subfloor (installed 4 days prior to sleeping in it)
  • Im parking in a residential area so shouldnt be any issues with area being contaminated
  • I have not opened the battery to see if its actually vented but I assume it is.
has anyone else experienced this. maybe just random coincidence

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
It is unlikely it is the battery as it out gasses hydrogen (and some Sulfur dioxide as the H2 bubbles leave) SO2 has a very strong smell I think you would notice and if there is not a large draw on the battery no out gassing will occur. Hydrogen is MUCH lighter than air and would rise above you.
More likely it is the installed foam and or floor materials. Always sleep in a van with ventilation. Always. The vent needs a source of air to allow ventilaton so crack a window too. Wire it up too. We normally sleep with our Fantastic Vent opened a bit or a lot depending on how cold it is and an awning window in the back opened some as well.
It might be your imagination.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured as much. Perhaps I'll look into making one of those front window vents that attach when the window is rolled down a bit
Thanks for info

·
Registered
278 Posts
Could it be the foam board glue in the subfloor (installed 4 days prior to sleeping in it)
^^^ This would be my guess. The adhesives are probably still curing, especially if the temperatures have been low, or some of it is trapped where air or moisture can't reach it. Batteries typically don't off gas unless they fail or are being charged. Plus the battery is the Promaster is an AGM which is far less likely cause any issues like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts