Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking the seats out of my 2015 Ram ProMaster City passenger wagen and plan on making the back into a semi- truck/camper/whatever vehicle with a wood floor and adaptive bed boxes. Right now, I'm just gonna put in glossy stained (honey oak?) 1/2" ACX plywood, with metal runners on the floor. I envision a shelf up where the wheel wells bend back for a bed platform, like I had in my full-sized Chevy C-3500 Van back in the '70s. Also a removable rough wood truckbed liner box for hauling dirt (just take it out and wash it up when done). This is where I'm putting the photos for the operation. I'm not gonna make a camper conversion, I'm just gonna make it fit my style. Any comments/questions are totally welcome. Maybe something will inspire y'all.

By the by, the whole rear area seating/ paneling is available, just make an offer

Keepin up on keepin up -Mïk Watson

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is to honor the car I traded in. The 2002 PT Cruiser that I had for 17 years. It showed me a lot of what could be done in small packages.

[/url]End of Story by MïK Watson, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Xmas Present to myself, after my lady passed away. The PT Cruiser was her car, but I did grow into it. This was the best-looking compact van out there, I thought. I really didn't want a grocery-getter, and people assume that I'm working, though I'm retired.

Face Off by MïK Watson, on Flickr

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, to the mods...I bought a passenger wagen because it was a couple thousand bucks cheaper than most of its less endowed kin. I had to drive from the ocean, on the west side of Washington State, to North Seattle, near Green Lake, at the appropriately-named Seattle CJDR dealership. I didn't want the rear seats, 'cause I was planning this mod all along (I had a ball in my youth building my Chevy Van), so out they come, with the plastic panels and seatbelt mechanisms

Behind the Plastic by MïK Watson, on Flickr

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I covered the sides with carpet, only for sound-dampening as I plan on building in paneling and cabinets into it, too

Fresh Carpet and Bare Floors by MïK Watson, on Flickr

that's all the money i got for now, more to come next month

·
Registered
538 Posts
I covered the sides with carpet, only for sound-dampening as I plan on building in paneling and cabinets into it, too

Fresh Carpet and Bare Floors by MïK Watson, on Flickr

that's all the money i got for now, more to come next month

Very cool work! I'll enjoy following your updates! I have a full size PM I am turning into a basic sleep van as I can afford it. First thing I tackled were sound deadening, insulation and solar atop the huge roof.

Reactions: Moe Foe

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Rich! I really don't know where I'm gonna end up with this...I'm not planning a camper, but do want a bed, in case my wanders get too far afield. Living on the 'Wet' side of the Mountains in Washington, means it doesn't get below freezing, nor much above 80° around here and I don't need to insulate or heat, really. All my doings is also gonna be less money-intensive and more creative 'cause that's all I've got. The small-sized van, with 25+ mpg will support my wanders and picturating. As long as youre enjoing it, Keep on!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and one more very important detail...

Memorial to Nancy by MïK Watson, on Flickr

We have donated our bodies to the local teaching Hospital (Willed Body Program, at the University of Washington). Y'all might consider it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Woo Hoo! Sold the rear interior and now I gots some monet! Thank you, Dan & Kelly from Bellingham. I hope y'all enjoi them and be sure to post up your adventure. I already bought some ½" ACX hardwood plywood for the floor of the van. Phase II: Woodwork.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, y'all. I want to lay a plywood floor on a metal pan in the back. 1) Should I undercoat the back before screwing the wood down? 2) Is some kind of tape or rubber needed to be used to prevent squeaks and give the floor some flex? 3) screws or glue? Liquid nails? Combination of the two? Comment below...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks to Dan & Kelly from Bellingham, I got some traction on this project. I spent the day carving plywood:

[/url]Layin' Wood by MïK Watson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice Grain, huh? I love how the wood sits snug between the wheel wells.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem: The scuff plate at the rear door leaves a gap when I place the ½" plywood under it.

Mind the Gap by MïK Watson, on Flickr

Can the plastic be bent with a hairdryer? It has a kind of flange at the door. Or maybe some foam could be cut to fill it in...any thoughts?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Problem: The scuff plate at the rear door leaves a gap when I place the ½" plywood under it.

Can the plastic be bent with a hairdryer? It has a kind of flange at the door. Or maybe some foam could be cut to fill it in...any thoughts?
I got a stop-gap solution...pipe insulation. Wandering thru Home Despot, I found some black tube insulation in various diameters...the ½" is about 1¼" round. I'll just glue the noodle in place under the scuffplate.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm especially pleased with the front end fit...

Tight Fit by MïK Watson, on Flickr

Honey Oak is the Minwax finish stain, with Varithane water-based Spar Urethane, clear for 4 coats..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'll also have a sheet of plywood to cover the rear deck and the stainless bed strips for rough work. It'll just lay on top for throwing tools and boxes, and stuff on. I have, in my head, an idea for a short box to slide in to hold loose loads ( dirt, sand, gravel, plants. and other detritus as needed) that can be put in the garage. As I said, I'm putting a short shelf on both sides, at the top of the wheel wells, to hold a bed platform, that may double as the cover for the floor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bed rails got here today...so Metalwork is next on the agenda.

Scuff Rails by MïK Watson, on Flickr

Cutting, drilling, and re-polishing.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts