Quality class = 10.9
Wrench size = 21 millimeter
Taper seat = Type "F"

Tightening torque = 180 Nm = 133 lbf ft

e.g. Febi part-number = 32442

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dropped off van to get tires replaced, now they tell me they can remove wheels due to frozen lug bolts. The ones they can remove are stripped. Tires were rotated 25k miles ago and I know they went in fine then. They say all hubs have to be replaced. Any solutions?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Replace the hubs. Back in the day up in salt crusted Vermont winters this sort of thing happened a lot. I resorted to anti-seise compound although they say not to use it. Lower the torque when tightening as the stuff lets the threads move easier and a lower torque will be a higher force.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote to replace hubs was $4200, that cant be right. Supposedly hard to get and hard to install and oddly lug bolts are $20 each. I need to check this out further.
Hub replacement should not be that hard especially on the rear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can insurance help?

If it's environmental damage (corrosion?), and not just that the last butchers tightened them up too much, maybe it falls under comprehensive coverage?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hubs:
front MOPAR https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...l+v6,3435466,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+hub,7632 >$100 need 2
Rear MOPAR
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing+&+hub+assembly,1636 $303 Kit that includes bearing seal etc. need 2
Lugs
MOPAR https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2017,promaster+2500,3.6l+v6,3435466,wheel,lug+stud,7680 $12.97 or aftermarket $5.95 Need 20
So the parts might be $900. A fair price to do them? How about $3300? LOL
Good Luck.
you forgot the bearings at $300 each x 4 they must be monster bearings.
lug bolts at $17 each x 20
dealer mechanic said removing the old hub usually damages these bearings

I went to a dealer yesterday to try to get lug bolts so I asked about pricing, no one but dealers seem to have parts for Promasters despite
their indications that they do. You can select hubs and right up until the item is ready to be ordered it says it wont fit.
They also said it was doubtful that the hub would be stripped, normally just the bolt would be stripped.
We shall see this weekend

they also said a Time Sert insert may also be an option

·
Registered
125 Posts
just checked a few lug bolts and it looks like the hub is fine but bolts are rusted starting at the bolt head and going towards the tip. Wire brushed the bolts, iffy ones will be replaced. Wire brushed holes and carefully sent tap through. Still debating anti seize on threads, for now just a bit of oil until I do brakes in a few weeks.

Seems like it could be a widespread issue to those of us who live in snow areas

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
I've always used anti-seize and, yes I do live in snow country. Never a problem with my lugs going on or off.

Reactions: bkhi

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
you forgot the bearings at $300 each x 4 they must be monster bearings.
lug bolts at $17 each x 20
dealer mechanic said removing the old hub usually damages these bearings
I went to a dealer yesterday to try to get lug bolts so I asked about pricing, no one but dealers seem to have parts for Promasters despite
their indications that they do. You can select hubs and right up until the item is ready to be ordered it says it wont fit.
They also said it was doubtful that the hub would be stripped, normally just the bolt would be stripped.
We shall see this weekend they also said a Time Sert insert may also be an option
Whoa Guy.
I did include the bearings and seals on the front but I believe you can clean and lube the rears so I didn’t include them. I also included the Lug bolts. I guess you didn’t carefully read the reply. It happens, I know. Why wouldn’t you think they have these? Contrary to what you said they do say they have these and they say they fit. Rockauto.com is a pretty good parts source when others may not be.
I wouldn’t be using a thread insert on my wheels, but then it may be because my brother was killed by a wheel that came off a vehicle. Live and learn.
Good luck this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,994 Posts
Hi,
Any particular type of anti-seize?

This one OK?
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DWWIY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Gary

·
Registered
125 Posts
Whoa Guy.
I did include the bearings and seals on the front but I believe you can clean and lube the rears so I didn’t include them. I also included the Lug bolts. I guess you didn’t carefully read the reply. It happens, I know. Why wouldn’t you think they have these? Contrary to what you said they do say they have these and they say they fit. Rockauto.com is a pretty good parts source when others may not be.
I wouldn’t be using a thread insert on my wheels, but then it may be because my brother was killed by a wheel that came off a vehicle. Live and learn.
Good luck this weekend.
We dont have a Rock Auto here, Advance, Napa and Autozone all said they had them, then they checked to see when they would be available and it said backordered with no in stock date. One large local place did not even have a listing for them. At Napa guy showed me lug studs and said they were correct uuhhh. nope

As of yesterday there are only 24 lug bolts in the Mopar Parts region warehouse

time sert- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJUOePvye6g&frags=pl,wn

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
RockAuto.com
You gotta order them! It’s a huge mail order parts supplier on the internet. Service is usually FAST. I included a kink to all the parts.
NAPA is a real good supplier I am surprised they don’t have them in a warehouse.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a tire shop strip out a lug bolt and of course they said it was not them and it was like that. I had to purchase a tap and clean out the threads in the hub. I got the new lug bolt on ebay. I have always used anti seize on my lugs here In PA and never had a issue. Did you try soaking the lug bolts in PB blaster for a week. spray them every day front and back. I have gotten some of the worst stuck and rusty bolts by just giving PB blaster a week to get the job done.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Check the spec's for your lug bolts/bearings and then go to the UK for lug bolts and bearings. Lug bolt at $2.96 ea x 20 = $45.20 and even with a very high shipping charge of $120 YOU SAVE $90. When doing bearings you should order a bearing kit or hub and bearing kit. The kit will include bearing, retainer ring and nut. The bearing nut is a one time use as it has a malleable lip that holds the nut in place. Here's a sample order for lugs/bearings £260($340) the shipping guide to US says £92 ($120) total about $460
https://www.autopartspro.co.uk/basket

1 - 20 of 22 Posts