Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the back under the bed I want to have some sort of track so I can have hooks and different movable attachments to help organize. I've thought about L track but that stuff is crazy expensive. It looks great but I don't need that kind of strength rating. For 8 feet just the track is about $90. I have Rubbermaid FasTrack in my garage and it could potentially work well. Here's a picture of the rear area I'm trying to organize. Nothing very heavy. Just things like backpacks, climbing ropes, harnesses, etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah, I've been looking at these systems for my block garage for shelves and such and even on sale they feel like a rip off. I'm considering building a French cleat system and was wondering if it could translate at all to the van.

Unsure how it might handle the forces of driving about. The Gladiator wall slats I have don't look much better. I fear the garage systems rely too much on gravity to hold things in place and a turn or other force in the wrong direction would send stuff flying. I think you need something with positive latching to hold stuff down and keep them from sliding in the rack.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
$52/100 inches about $6 per foot. Lots less than buying a set of AGM batteries over FLA. the difference would buy 25 feet and a bunch of attachments. I say go for it its just (your) money. If you forgo that lithium battery set you could buy about 700 feet of the stuff, probably enough for a real 737!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Steadymate-15545-Track-Recessed-Mount/dp/B0026FCGFE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512530907&sr=8-4&keywords=L+track[/ame]

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a bunch of E-Track all over my trailer and the straps and attachments to go with it. When I got the PM I wanted to use what I already have but not needing an anchor point every other inch . I found some individual anchors called Snap-locs . 1000# rated , reversible , put them where you need them . Zoro Tools had the best price . 5-16 carriage bolts them perfect to my "erector set" framing .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've put two pieces of L track/aircraft seat track on my floor. I was lucky as I had a friend that worked at an aircraft dismantling facility and they had lots of it for cheap. Just a thought if you don't mind used. It works well for my needs.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$52/100 inches about $6 per foot. Lots less than buying a set of AGM batteries over FLA. the difference would buy 25 feet and a bunch of attachments. I say go for it its just (your) money. If you forgo that lithium battery set you could buy about 700 feet of the stuff, probably enough for a real 737!

https://www.amazon.com/Steadymate-1...e=UTF8&qid=1512530907&sr=8-4&keywords=L+track
Problem is that is recessed. Can't use that. The other is more expensive.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've been looking at these systems for my block garage for shelves and such and even on sale they feel like a rip off. I'm considering building a French cleat system and was wondering if it could translate at all to the van.

Unsure how it might handle the forces of driving about. The Gladiator wall slats I have don't look much better. I fear the garage systems rely too much on gravity to hold things in place and a turn or other force in the wrong direction would send stuff flying. I think you need something with positive latching to hold stuff down and keep them from sliding in the rack.
The fastlock accessories actually lock onto the rail so they will stay put.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The fastlock accessories actually lock onto the rail so they will stay put.
Hadn't looked at the Fastlock stuff too closely, some hooks look like they lock others look like they could slide side to side in the rails. Regardless the cost of hooks and such sure does add up. I have two stacked stainless steel shelves attached to one wall spanning nearly the length the garage. Cost me $48 at an auction. I'll be hard pressed to put up even one 24" shelf using one of these systems for that price.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hadn't looked at the Fastlock stuff too closely, some hooks look like they lock others look like they could slide side to side in the rails. Regardless the cost of hooks and such sure does add up. I have two stacked stainless steel shelves attached to one wall spanning nearly the length the garage. Cost me $48 at an auction. I'll be hard pressed to put up even one 24" shelf using one of these systems for that price.
I use it in my garage but not for shelving. You're right the shelving is held on by gravity. I'd do the same as you for shelves. I just use all the hooks, bike hangers etc. The hooks and hangers actually need quite a bit of force to pop on and off the rails. They can slide down the rail but it doesn't just loosely slide. I used it in the garage because I can rearrange as necessary. That's the reason why I want something similar for the van. I already have 84" of the rail that I picked up from home depot after returning something and I have several of the hooks on the walls so at this point the FastTrack wouldn't cost me anything.

If looks like the FastTrack is going to be the direction I go. With L track I'd have quite a bit invested in the rails and the little stud pieces without any hooks to hang anything. I can always go back and get L track later.

BTW, If anyone is gong with L track this is the best deal I've found

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...TPo0WJ_FMqpdb78KMO_tTNhwdPwo4j_BoCVAkQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

https://www.amazon.com/Steadymate-1...e=UTF8&qid=1512530907&sr=8-4&keywords=L+track
BTW..... relentless :) comparing L track and FastTrack to FLA and AGM batteries is comparing apples to oranges.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Well yes thanks for the smile. The extra money we spend on things we probably don’t really need is the same for both. I could have been more blunt and omitted my feeble attempt at humor by saying, “We waste unnecessary money in many ways building these conversions so a couple hundred for L track won’t raise an eyebrow here!” No Apricots or Tangelos there.:laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts