8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas on lowering the ProMaster Van 1500 LR
Thanks in advance for any help....
CQ

·
Registered
549 Posts
Truck suspension shops can recurve the OEM leaf springs on the rear for a lower profile. There was also someone on here who put the axle above the leaf spring instead of below. That dropped it several inches if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had the leaf springs re-arched to lower the rear about 60mm, and I wish I had cut one convolution off the bump stops and had the rear lowered even more.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Haven't done anything about it. Apparently you can unclamp the strut and simply re-clamp it lower. I suspect that there is a tab on the bottom of the strut that would require new holes re-drilled in a new position (or simply not used), and it will only be possible to do this to the point that there is no longer acceptable clearance to the CV joint boot. I just went out and shone a flashlight up in there, and it looks like you could get an inch or so out of it by doing this. Obviously it would need an alignment. I think someone on this forum (Bulldogneon?) has done this.

Don't know if lowering springs are available. Ducato parts should fit. You could go to full air suspension if you want to spend a lot ...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I had the leaf springs re-arched to lower the rear about 60mm, and I wish I had cut one convolution off the bump stops and had the rear lowered even more.
Brian, now that you've been driving it lowered for a while, can you tell if it's been hitting the bump stops regularly?

Have you removed a bump stop to see how cutting one convolution would affect it? I'm wondering if they are solid or hollow inside. Also, do you know if Ducato bump stops are shorter? Lastly, how much more would you have lowered the rear if possible.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The bump stops have a hole up the middle. They're easy to take off ... they just pull out of the little pocket that they are sitting in. I was going to cut one convolution off, but chickened out.

The current setup still has clearance to the bump stop, but I'm sure it does hit on occasion. It's not enough to affect the normal ride. Rolling down the road you cannot tell the difference.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably insist on another 20mm lowered together with taking one convolution off the bump stops. It still sits higher in the rear than in front. Right now, with the van empty, if I measure from a body line to the ground, it is still about 50mm (2") higher in the back than the front. You don't want it sitting lower in the back when loaded, but I reckon 30mm of "rake" ought to leave enough room for my normal max loading without the back ending up lower than the front. The spring rate is pretty high ...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Brian, so those who reversed springs under axle beam and lowered rear about 4 inches (roughly 100 mm) would make it about right height for you?

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
I agree with Chuckers on this. I read the 1500 high van was 101 inches tall but I measured one in a dealer lot and got 102.5 to 103 at the back (hard to do with a salesman yacking at you.)
My garage has 8'6" door opening which is 102. Dam close isn't it? The van looks lower than 101" on the front but the back is certainly jacked up. Anyone got a good real world measurement?

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is a bit crazy but i want to lower the van to fit in the garage
Nothing crazy about that... I would have done a lot of work on mine this winter if it fit in the garage. It was to darn cold to work outside this winter...

Hopefully Bulldog will jump in here, but I recall he flipped the axle on top of the springs. Got quite a drop and installed some airbags to level/raise it. There's a post on here about it. Good read, with info on the concerns, mainly the u-bolts which will have a completely different load on them.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
This is a bit crazy but i want to lower the van to fit in the garage
Same here. I don't want to park a new van outside. Partly to protect van, but also don't want to telegraph being gone for weeks at a time.

I've measured a couple of standard 8-ft doors and the openings were around 94-1/2 inches, making the possibility of lowering a high roof that much unlikely.

The low roof van is low enough but I prefer a larger van. Longer and taller. Too bad there isn't a middle roof height.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
P.S. -- As far as I know no one has done it yet, but one possibility is to convert to full air suspension and then have van kneel prior to going into garage. The manufacturer has data on total suspension travel as I recall. It's very expensive though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Brian, so those who reversed springs under axle beam and lowered rear about 4 inches (roughly 100 mm) would make it about right height for you?
Re-mounting the springs to the bottom of the axle would be a bit too much, but I was also concerned that the way the springs are attaching to the axle is no longer "as designed". Aside from the structural implications, we have random roadside vehicle inspections here, and commercial vehicles are a frequent target, and if something like that happens, my solution looks stock to a cop ...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Question Brian? Roughly what did the spring work cost you? I plan on doing the same, just haven't gotten around to stopping and getting a quote.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Question Brian? Roughly what did the spring work cost you? I plan on doing the same, just haven't gotten around to stopping and getting a quote.
It was a couple hundred bucks, I don't remember exactly.

Today's chore was loading up bikes in preparation for next week. The van now has two motorcycles in the back. There will be a toolbox and some other minor things but this is 90% of my max load. Right now (and this is with the springs re-arched about 60mm) if you measure from the bottom of the body to the ground at similar points just aft of the front wheelhouse, and just ahead of the rear wheelhouse, the rear is still about 30mm higher than the front. There is a fingers-breadth clearance, perhaps 10mm, between the bottom of the bump stop, and the top of the leaf spring. It rides fine ... I don't think the bump stops have much initial spring rate.

The springs have a high spring rate ... about 400 kg of load has compressed the rear perhaps 20mm.

I'm thinking that if your max load is somewhere near half a tonne then the thing to do is chop one convolution off the bump stops and have the rear springs re-arched about 80mm.

If you load the van near max capacity then don't do this ... if we estimate that there is around 1200 kg extra on the rear axle then you will need about 60mm of spring compression, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks, Brian.

Other than the occasional five sheets of plywood, stack of 2x4's or couple bags of concrete mix my load with normally be the wife, dog, camping gear, kayaks and bicycles on a rear bumper rack.

I had been thinking to level it some, maybe about 1/2 way between current and "level" . I'll look at those numbers and see what I think.

A 118"WB just looks odd with such a high rear end on it...

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
It is interesting that if you find any "fashion" picture of the van from FCA it sits level. When I first saw one at a dealer I was struck by the back end lift and asked the sales man if they had jacked it up.... Nope. This was true for 1500-3500 vans which we now know probably have the same springs anyway. I am hoping someone here knows the true height front and back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts