Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, anybody lowered the rear height of the van! I do not like the looks of the rear jacked up? Want it level! How? Thanks for any feed back! tommy

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A few have modified the leaf springs so they attach under the axle instead of on top. That's about a 4-inch drop if I recall correctly.

That may be too much of a drop for many. It also has to be done with care to ensure safety.

You should be able to do a search on this lowering topic.

·
Registered
604 Posts
A few have modified the leaf springs so they attach under the axle instead of on top. That's about a 4-inch drop if I recall correctly.

That may be too much of a drop for many. It also has to be done with care to ensure safety.

You should be able to do a search on this lowering topic.
What Chance said... Plus I think most that have moved the axle have also added airbags to bring it back up to level.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I want to re-arch my springs..
But there is only 1 place here in St Louis that'll do it, for 350$.
And they wont do any work on the vehicle. And i have found just 1 shop that will R/R the springs for me at 400$ labor. Dammmnn. 4 days of down time..dammmn

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
I want to re-arch my springs..
But there is only 1 place here in St Louis that'll do it, for 350$.
And they wont do any work on the vehicle. And i have found just 1 shop that will R/R the springs for me at 400$ labor. Dammmnn. 4 days of down time..dammmn
Sounds a bit excessive (cost wise) to me!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE Arching Springs? Help!

hey guys, anybody lowered the rear height of the van! I do not like the looks of the rear jacked up? Want it level! How? Thanks for any feed back! tommy
Ok Guys, seeing several different suggestions as how to lower the rear of my 118 inch 1500, first, do not want to " flip" Axel, don't need air bags, the only thing that's needed in my case, is a 1.5 inch drop in the height to level the van! I'm not concerned with losing weight capacity! I just need to know if anyone has has had the springs " RE Arched"? If so please give me any feed back? I can remove the springs in less than an hour, take them to whoever performs this, then re install! Appreciate any help? Thank you, Tommy

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, I had mine re-arched (to lower the rear ride height about 60mm). But in my case, the local truck spring shop did the whole job start to finish including re/re for a couple hundred in cash and a couple hours. If you have air tools and a torque wrench and suitable jacks and stands, I don't see why you couldn't remove/reinstall the springs yourself.

You may wish to consider cutting one convolution off the bump stops - this is easy; they can be pried out of the pockets that they sit in pretty easily and pushed back in afterwards. Easier to do this before you have the springs lowered ...

I wouldn't do this if you are going to be pushing the limits of load capacity. Mine won't see more than about half rated capacity, so it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ride quality is close enough to no difference that I can tell.

If you don't trim back the bump stops, you'll hit them more frequently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts