Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I recently took my Promaster 2014 2500 high top 159" wb to a mechanic to get some "high mileage maintenance" done.
I have 194,000 miles and have owned the vehicle since 163,000 miles. It was bought in PA but I now live in SF (unfortunately by an ocean, so rust is still an issue)

Anyways...
The mechanic spec'd out my van and mentioned that my lower control arm bushing is torn. At the moment I think its just one of them, but I don't recall.
He said that this causes the (tire? suspension?) to have "play" which can cause other issues down the line. He said its not critical but should be fixed.
He quoted me at around $2200 to replace both control arms and both joint bearings. Most of the price came from the fact that the parts would be OEM.

I did manage to find some on Moog, but the dealer mentioned that usually you want the parts to be super high quality for suspension, but moog is usually decent.
It seems like the Moog parts would save me a whole grand.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know how big of a deal a torn lower control arm bushing really is? Can you explain why having "play" is bad?
2. Does anyone have experience with moog suspension parts?
3. Any other thoughts for me here?

In case you're curious, here is the list of things I ended up having serviced:
oil change, rear break rotors (rust), transmission full service, axle seal leak (rear axle was leaking fluid), power steering fluid flush, serpentine belt replacement (and tensioner)

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,258 Posts
Moog probably makes them for Ram! Moog is one of the largest, most respected names in suspension parts I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to use them over OEM parts!.
I think your quote is way out of line, btw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moog probably makes them for Ram! Moog is one of the largest, most respected names in suspension parts I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to use them over OEM parts!.
I think your quote is way out of line, btw.
I posted a link to the moog part in the post. Yes they make them.
What do you mean my quote is out of line? Do you not consider 195k high-mileage?
Anyways this is kind of beyond the point. Was hoping for some answers the listed questions if anyone has any.
Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
606 Posts
torn means water and salt gets into the ball and socket. Think of it as arthritic joint. It should be replaced, and the front end aligned. $2200 seems high, but then everything seems expensive for an old fart like me. Maybe get a quote from an alignment shop? OTOH $2200 maintenance on a 200k mile vehicle seems pretty cheap...

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,258 Posts
How about too expensive for what the job entails? Is that clear enough?🙄

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
torn means water and salt gets into the ball and socket. Think of it as arthritic joint. It should be replaced, and the front end aligned. $2200 seems high, but then everything seems expensive for an old fart like me. Maybe get a quote from an alignment shop? OTOH $2200 maintenance on a 200k mile vehicle seems pretty cheap...
thanks for the thoughts. What is "OTOH"?
This isnt the only maintenance I've done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts