Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently shopping around for a lightly used PM. I'm seeing a lot of barely used 2014-15 models going in the low 20's. Even Kelly Blue book has then valued really low. How does a vehicle go from $32 new to $21k in two years? I know it's a steel box with a motor, but still. Is there a reason KBB devalues them so quickly?

I'm still sold on the PM for what I plan to build, but was curious if anyone had some insight as to why they are selling so cheap used, while a Sprinter with 150K miles is going for $22,000!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most of the used Promasters I have seen in that price range are former rentals. I'm not sure if it's done for tax purposes or what the reason is, but the major rental companies only keep these vans for a year or two and then auction them off (Uhaul does the same with similar Ford Transits and did so with the E-250 as well). Because of this you'll see a ton of the 136" low roof vans in white, and the flooded market keeps the price low. If you're looking for a low top in white they're one heck of a good deal!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Many Ram dealers are advertising $6K-$8K discounts on new 2016s so used vans in the low 20's actually seem overpriced to to me. I'd rather have a full warranty and 2 year newer van for only a couple thousand extra. If your financing, new is usually cheaper interest too.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Trucks loose value quick too. Anything that gets used commercially, I think gets devalued quickly, assuming it will be trashed.

But, it can change when appraised in person. I've gotten top dollar for my old trucks when bluebook was low.

I think we have highly desirable vans. I've been approached many times in parking lots by contractors asking how I like it. Some wanting a used one, if they could find one.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
I have tried to help a few guys buy Promasters and they have complained that used prices are too high! I think the ads are either misprints, low roof or low optioned heavily used vans. Go ahead and go to the lots to take a look. I think I'm right.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought mine new

I got just what I wanted, yes it's white (the only color that makes sense in the Southwest), and I don't care if it depreciates down to twenty-five cents. Nobody messed it up before I got it and I'm keeping it till death do we part.
If I had to keep and use whatever I traded it for, I can't think of anything that I would trade it for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts