Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

First and foremost I understand the h7 bulbs are garbage. I have three pro master vans the bulbs are lucky to last one month tops. I put a ton of miles on them with the majority night driving. (I know how to install bulbs, no i never touch them) My latest issue is on one of the vans the low beam burns out within a day or two. The high beams still work fine. There is no warning of a headlight burned out on the dash, just no LH low beams.

I’ve done several hours of searching and am reading the same old stuff about how the h7 bulb don’t last long. I get that, they are terrible. (Even sprinter vans only lasted a month with h7)

This issue however has never happened to me, no low beams after a day or two. Any ideas? Anybody able to find a socket replacement for promaster vans

2014 2500 gas btw

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
New to ProMaster so of no real help, Perhaps a different brand of bulb perhaps a bad batch.

I do know that with a new car purchase years ago I was burning out bulbs at least once a month for the first year and then never replaced a bulb for the next ten years, In both both cases there was minimal night driving involved.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
I don't have bulb issues, but what is product info of the bulbs that are failing for you?

E.g. PHILLIPS has 4 different H7s types that fit my van.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I bought new a '94 Camaro Z-28 way back when. I loved walking out to the new car in the mornings before sunrise, that rumble inviting me to tool mellowly on to work.. .

Just one problem: after 15 or so seconds run time on a cold start all dash instrumentation lights, interior dome lights etc. would wink off for about 1/4 second then pop back on brighter than before. Annoying is an understatement. Five weeks after I bought it I wandered into a chevy dealer and purchased a new regulator, a little cricket leg connector chip that mounts inside the alternator itself. That evening saw me pull the alternator under the streetlight out in front of my parents house and desolder the OEM chip, remove and replace with the GM parts department equivalent. I drove that Z28 another 150,000 miles and never saw the dash go dark or even a flicker from the interior dome lights, though I did replace a set of headlights once but had one flink-off when I slammed the hood with the headlights on and replaced them as a pair...

Not saying that is the FCA problem, but I sure solved a problem for $13 and a little dinking around that I'm pretty sure 50,000 other people lived with or never noticed. It'd be worth a try to see maybe?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,444 Posts
Hello all

First and foremost I understand the h7 bulbs are garbage. I have three pro master vans the bulbs are lucky to last one month tops. I put a ton of miles on them with the majority night driving. (I know how to install bulbs, no i never touch them) My latest issue is on one of the vans the low beam burns out within a day or two. The high beams still work fine. There is no warning of a headlight burned out on the dash, just no LH low beams.

I’ve done several hours of searching and am reading the same old stuff about how the h7 bulb don’t last long. I get that, they are terrible. (Even sprinter vans only lasted a month with h7)

This issue however has never happened to me, no low beams after a day or two. Any ideas? Anybody able to find a socket replacement for promaster vans

2014 2500 gas btw

Thanks
FCA issued a tsb for early bulb failure, 08-106-17 2017-11-01 2014-2017 VF Premature Low Beam Headlamp Bulb Failure, it states to replace both bulbs with long life bulbs, I think this is to maybe get past warranty and not fix the problem.

·
Registered
810 Posts
FCA issued a tsb for early bulb failure, 08-106-17 2017-11-01 2014-2017 VF Premature Low Beam Headlamp Bulb Failure, it states to replace both bulbs with long life bulbs, I think this is to maybe get past warranty and not fix the problem.
Got a part # for that 'long life' bulb?
thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the tips. Still unfortunately no luck, the socket definitely was bad. And really no way to splice it. Good news is they’re finally cheap on ebay! Cost under $100 including shipping and works like a amazingly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nickap33, were you replacing the socket or the total headlight, for $100.
I have a problem with my daytime running lights, as I’m in Canada.
The socket itself, looks like it was bad right from the factory.
Thanks for any help.
I’d even take a broken headlight, just for the parts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts