Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. About a month ago I bought a silver 2500 Promaster diesel. I love the design and engineering that went into this van but the customer service by Ram is laughable. I bought this new van with 100 miles on it. When I first saw the van on the dealer's lot I commented that the entire passenger side's paint job was blotchy. It looked like the door was damaged and repainted and during the painting process the paint gun clogged and intermittingly sprayed metallic flakes.A 4' x 8' section didn't match the rest of the van. The fleet manager was extremely dismissive and told me it met commercial quality standards. Then it was off the to the finance manager. He tried to sell me a worthless $400 product without my knowledge by pushing paper and saying "sign here" without explaining what I was signing. Obviously I caught his deceptive practice. I promptly filed a claim With Ram and was assigned a case manager. I took my vehicle to the closest Ram dealer and they photographed the van with the intent to immediately send the pictures to Ram so a determination could be made. Much to my dismay they were rude and curt with me. I was treated as an inconvenience. After being hounded by the case manager and myself they finally sent the pictures off 10 days later. Thankfully, Ram agreed with me and they will repaint the entire side. Now my case manager is trying to find a Ram dealership that has a large enough paint booth. What I am finding is that there aren't that many dealerships that are authorized to work on Promasters.
Ok, customer service not so great, but I am so grateful for the case manager assigned to me. He was very professional and acted like I was his only customer and really worked hard for me.
I love my Promaster diesel. Ergonomically great. Easy to read gauges and large HVAC knobs. Seats are well bolstered and very firm....no back pain! My van has the bulkhead with the sliding window. I thought i'd remove it day 1 but actually I love it. It allows me to cool and heat the cab effortlessly. It muffles background noise and offers extra collision protection. The best part of this van is the driving experience...easy to turn, good visibility and a smooth ride. Mpg is knocking my socks off. I'd be happy with 20 mpg hwy, but I am averaging 27 mpg in hilly rural driving (unloaded) and on a recent 400 mile trip to Seattle which included crossing the North Cascades mountain range twice I averaged 29 mpg. That was hand calculated. I usually stick to the posted speed limit or go over by 5mph. Future plans include installing 3 more vented windows, platform bed and upper and lower cabinets, and a portable butane stove top and sink and water tank. in the process of researching insulation techniques. Keeping the conversion on the light side so I can easily use the van for carrying cargo and using it as an emergency fire evacuation vehicle. The last two Summers have been brutal and we almost lost our home and business to fire each time. Here's to 500k miles of happy motoring!

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
I'm surprised they actually agreed to a paint job. I actually have yet to see a silver Promaster that did not have a noticeable "shadowing" effect in the paint. Some are worse than others. My guess is commercial vehicles may simply have a less stringent paint process than other Chrysler vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Pretty blotchy. I have seen several PM'S that were in silver like this.
A lot of surface area to keep uniform. Silver is tricky to paint on large vehicles.
Not sure if they did an adjustment at the factory. Hopefully who ever does the
paint job does it right.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Our silver PM is a bit splotchy on the right side, mostly a swath right behind the slider door, up high. I was thoroughly annoyed with it for a month or two, now I don't care and seldom notice it anymore.

Gee... thanks for the reminder. ;)

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Picture is worth a thousand words.
Yes all the silver Promasters I have seen have this shadowing. That's why I am surprised you managed to get them to repaint it. Metallics are challenging to paint even for the pros. Whoever repaints it may need to do the entire van.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rest of my van has a uniform silver paint job. So evidently it is possible to do a professional paint job with metallics. Just the passenger side is incredibly blotchy. People have asked me if the van was in an accident. I wonder if this an issue with the Ford Transits?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had my 2016 PM-159ext for a month now, and the paint job is excellent. I went over it prior to delivery, and was pleased that the paint is really good. Maybe they have gotten better!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts