Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the cargo Promaster City for a few days now.
Road noise can be horrendously loud at highway speed on
certain Interstate surfaces..Some are ok city streets are fine.
I am completely empty in back and will certainly want
a cargo mat etc ASAP.
And...the brakes are noisy in back too.
Road noise can be so loud on some stretches that I cannot hear the radio and no hope of making a phone call. Actually hurts ears.
This is my first ownership of an empty cargo van (no linings).

Any tips?
And anyone else having brake noise? Not a squeal but some dull scratchy/rubbing sound. I have about 300 miles.
Prohbob

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always have a divider in all my vans. This van was no exception aside from the fact I wanted the stock divider as it is upholstered and looks sharp. My van is very very quiet and can compare it to a car. Make no mistake, these aren't Asian vehicles and will be more unrefined feeling than your Toyota since the van is of European design.
The only noise I have complaints about but really don't bother me are when I step on the gas for maximum power. The engine is loud at that point. By then, I am long gone out of some retards way.
My cargo space is set up with a plywood floor overlayed with thin commercial carpet. I can't think of any van that I set up this way that was noisy.
Good luck with your endeavors. With some fine tuning, you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy my van.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Divider

Yes I purchased the one I have so I would have no divider so that the
AC would get into the back when I need it. I will be getting a
cargo mat when they are available.
Any word on custom floor and cargo mats?
Or, what is a good source of the generic cargo mat that I can cut.

How much help do you think side panels would help?

There are parts of our Interstate that are causing amazing vibrations.
Other stretches are very quiet.

I don't notice any loud engine noise and my transmission is
very smooth.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the world of a stripped out and empty cargo van! :)

I'd recommend getting a second opinion, as there's always a chance that something is wrong but my guess is you're just used to driving passenger vehicles. Check out some of the threads here on sound reduction, they'll make for a much more pleasant driving experience and you won't have to turn the radio all the way up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My last van I bought new in 74,a Dodge B100.225 slant 6/3 on the tree.It was very loud inside from the road noise.1/2" plywood floor,some cheap commercial carpet with a foam backing worked wonders.Since the old vans had ribs every 12 or 16"'s along both sides and the top,some thin house insulation held in with 1/2x1" plywood strips held in with self tapping sheet metal screws.darn near as quiet as a caddy,and very low bux and time to git er done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
vibration

With the problems I've had with my PM(in the Dealers shop for 70 days), I have driven 5 other Promasters, I noticed a vibration at various speed and road conditions in ALL that were equipped with the Vanco tires, The last one had Nexen's and was perfectly smooth, ALL the time. I drive 50-60K a year and am very cognizant of my tires. I always balance and rotate every 5000, and I usually run Michelins. best ride, longest life. Worth the extra $$. I was impressed with the Nexen's ride and handling, Tire life will have to wait till I get my New PM.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With the problems I've had with my PM(in the Dealers shop for 70 days), I have driven 5 other Promasters, I noticed a vibration at various speed and road conditions in ALL that were equipped with the Vanco tires, The last one had Nexen's and was perfectly smooth, ALL the time. I drive 50-60K a year and am very cognizant of my tires. I always balance and rotate every 5000, and I usually run Michelins. best ride, longest life. Worth the extra $$. I was impressed with the Nexen's ride and handling, Tire life will have to wait till I get my New PM.
Are you talking about the fullsize PM?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts