Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken my PM in twice now for low coolant. Both times 2 different dealerships cant find the issue. First time coolant dropped below the low line when hot by 1/2" @8500 miles they filled it back to full. Now with 11k miles its about to hit the low mark again. I can smell coolant and they cannot.... Both stated they pressurized the system and found nothing, Nothing in oil and no leaks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you're losing coolant it's got to be going somewhere.

Some coolant leaks in head or intake gaskets send antifreeze out exhaust. Check for signs of white smoke. Check if tailpipe smells of antifreeze.

·
Registered
399 Posts
.. I can smell coolant and they cannot.... Both stated they pressurized the system and found nothing, Nothing in oil and no leaks. Any ideas?
I had a similar issue on my 03 Silverado. I'm very sensitive to coolant odor as well, but nothing would ever drip or show up on the engine. The leak was small enough that it apparently burned off before showing itself. After a year or more it finally started to drip. Turned out to be a damaged gasket on the water pump. I doubt it's internal if you can smell it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My promaster had the same problem. The coolant expansion tank was empty and there was a little puddle of coolant in webbing on the engine / transmission housing on the right side of engine compartment.
I added coolant twice before dealer found a loose clamp on the heater hose heater matrix just to the right of the engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing for me, could smell coolant but nothing visible except for the low level in the expansion tank. Dealer pressured checked it first time and found nothing wrong. In today for recalls and continueing slight coolant loss issue, dealer pressured checked system and found a slight leak either from the top radiator hose or the radiator itself, couldn't tell which was leaking so they are going to replace both under warrantee. 36k on PM2500

·
Registered
5 Posts
Performing an oil analysis will confirm whether the is any anti - freeze present. Contact Oil Analyzers Inc., a an Amsoil Company, for oil test kits. That would be proof one way or the other, to show the dealer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have exact same condition to the letter. 34k miles, and i definitly smell coolant but cant find a leak. The rate of loss is so little that i dont think it can be anything BUT a weeping leak. Head gasket would consume more, as would a pinhole. Were talking maybe a gallon of coolant in 50k. For the average driver thats 4 years. Unless something changes, im going to just refill it and elect to ignore it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The PM is at 31k now and has been in the shop a total of 34 days for this coolant issue.... Really loosing my patience on this one. Last visit was for 19 days and all they did was replace the hose to the heater core or something... 2 days later back below the low level. If i could stand the smell of burning coolant i'd just keep refilling but the scent makes me sick.

Is the cooling system part of the 100k drive train warranty? or do i need to shell out the $995 for the mopar 100k warranty?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,379 Posts
The PM is at 31k now and has been in the shop a total of 34 days for this coolant issue.... Really loosing my patience on this one. Last visit was for 19 days and all they did was replace the hose to the heater core or something... 2 days later back below the low level. If i could stand the smell of burning coolant i'd just keep refilling but the scent makes me sick.

Is the cooling system part of the 100k drive train warranty? or do i need to shell out the $995 for the mopar 100k warranty?

Thanks
Adam
Call Ram HQ and ask if they have heard of the lemon law. Are they using this stuff to find the leak:
http://www.tracerline.com/content/coolant

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts

Thanks
Adam
I would think that the cooling system is part of the drive train warranty, I mean, you can't run a motor without its cooling system. And anyways, that problem appeared way before the expiration of the 30k warranty and it's not your fault they can't find out. But make sure you have a work slip to prove it.

At the rate you are loosing coolant, it's not going in the motor, you would know it for sure: blue fume, motor jams.... I had that issue with my Chevrolet Venture 2001 that were famous for their head gasket leaking problem.

Did you notice if you are loosing coolant even when you motor is not running?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The power train warranty is strictly internally lubricated parts for Engine and transmission! But since you documented the problem before warranty expired Chrysler should still warranty it. Also most if not all repairs by Chrysler should have a 12 month 12000 mile warranty after repaired for that repair.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The uv dye is the way to go on this one.

Lets try to dig a little deeper. Are all of our coolant loss rates the same? Im looking at maybe a quart (1 liter) every 10k miles. I drive a lot, so in time its maybe 1 quart a month.

I smell coolant more or less ONLY when i get in and out of the pm after its been running. I believe i only smell it coming from the drivers side wheelwell area. I do not smell it inside the pm. I do not smell it at the rear of the pm.

The pm uses orange OAT coolant. Does that stuff smell like regular old maple syrup green coolant?

If this was an old car, id be looking at the overflow tube and rad cap for problems. Does the overflow bottle itself on the pm have a vent system?

Lets all compare notes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just spoke with the Promaster Team at Ram... apparently they are aware of a "coolant loss from seeping / smell" Issue and are working on a service bulletin ....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The uv dye is the way to go on this one.

Lets try to dig a little deeper. Are all of our coolant loss rates the same? Im looking at maybe a quart (1 liter) every 10k miles. I drive a lot, so in time its maybe 1 quart a month.

I smell coolant more or less ONLY when i get in and out of the pm after its been running. I believe i only smell it coming from the drivers side wheelwell area. I do not smell it inside the pm. I do not smell it at the rear of the pm.

The pm uses orange OAT coolant. Does that stuff smell like regular old maple syrup green coolant?

If this was an old car, id be looking at the overflow tube and rad cap for problems. Does the overflow bottle itself on the pm have a vent system?

Lets all compare notes.

i loose slightly more then a qt every 3 weeks, only smell when hot. No drips on driveway and definitely stronger @ drivers wheel well. My coolant is purple in color and I have been told it is NOT compatible with the universal stuff from the auto store so I just add distilled water if i am dangerously low.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
GM has used an OAT coolant since 1996 It's called Dex-cool as to it's compatibility with that of the ram promaster I don't know. But Prestone Dex-Cool is $13 at walmart online. Check compatibility before use.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just found out not compatible.
GM has used an OAT coolant since 1996 It's called Dex-cool as to it's compatibility with that of the ram promaster I don't know. But Prestone Dex-Cool is $13 at walmart online. Check compatibility before use.
Don't use with factory fill not compatible.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Owners Manual Page 332:

We recommend using MOPAR® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) that meets the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106

Page 331:

CAUTION!
• Mixing of engine coolant (antifreeze) other than specified Organic Additive Technology (OAT) en- gine coolant (antifreeze), may result in engine damage and may decrease corrosion protection. Organic Additive Technology (OAT) engine cool- ant is different and should not be mixed with Hybrid Organic Additive Technology (HOAT) en- gine coolant (antifreeze) or any “globally compat- ible” coolant (antifreeze). If a non-OAT engine coolant (antifreeze) is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, the cooling system will need to be drained, flushed, and refilled with fresh OAT coolant (conforming to MS-12106), by an authorized dealer as soon as possible.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I tried to buy some of that MOPAR Antifreeze at the dealer and was told it was about $50 per gallon! They topped mine up for free as its been low since I purchased it. It actually took about 1/2 a gallon.

I wouldn't mix anything with it as they said it's not compatible with any other fluids. Strange looking stuff too.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I tried to buy some of that MOPAR Antifreeze at the dealer and was told it was about $50 per gallon! They topped mine up for free as its been low since I purchased it. It actually took about 1/2 a gallon.

I wouldn't mix anything with it as they said it's not compatible with any other fluids. Strange looking stuff too.
Available on Amazon.com for $30:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-68048953AB-Antifreeze-Coolant/dp/B0089LTJDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420072822&sr=1-1&keywords=oat+coolant[/ame]

Mine was low too, but I don't know if it's was from the beginning or the result of a leak.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Went to the dealership today and bought a gallon of Mopar branded MS 12106 coolant. Says so right on the bottle. $18.85. Also of note, Autozone did NOT have any OAT with that spec printed on it.

That's not to say any old coolant, even the ancient green stuff, would work. I'm no expert, but as I understand it old cast iron blocks could tolerate anything for coolant, but a fully alloy engine can't. The coolant additives act as a lubricant for the water pump as well. Modern heat exchangers like heater cores are WAY thinner with smaller passages than their old school counterparts. Newer engines also run much hotter than old ones, and I think they use less coolant in total as well.

As I say, as long as it's not the head gasket, I don't mind if it weeps a little coolant. As "flaws" go, this one is pretty benign.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts