Ram Promaster Forum banner

Looks like the Winnebago Solis 59 and 59PX prices are falling...new and used

1062 Views 25 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  TarpitCarnivore
Getting a fully factory built van with a Pop Top for under $100K was impossible just a couple of years ago. I just noticed that the prices of the Solis(Promasters) have dipped, with used ones with low mileage down even in the $80's. New can even be found just shy of $100K.

So with the prices competitive, I wonder how many van outfitters are going to have to re-adjust their prices too?

I guess the interest rates are beating up the RV & housing industry first. It will be interesting to see how far the prices fall in the next 12-18 months.

Here is an example, Extended version(PX) model w/pop top, 30K miles.....$88,000:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
I'm not surprised. I had often joked with my wife that in a few years after the pandemic, the market would be flooded with barely-used RVs. All these people decided to "try out" the life of RVing whilst trapped at home, and found that they really didn't enjoy sitting around in a campground watching TV and playing video games and calling in to work. So now they're all going to be selling them.

I hope they also quit overbooking (and not using) our wonderful state park systems, so that those of us who actually enjoy being outdoors and seeing things can find places to say when we want to be out hiking, paddling, seeing the stars, and otherwise embracing the natural world.

That Solis is a pretty cool unit, and if we were to go back to a retail-type RV, would be a decent choice if it weren't the extra long version.

I hope it doesn't hurt the upfitter market but that may be the case.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Hard to say - might actually help small up-fit Mom and Pop businesses.

The main challenge for small operations has been getting vans to work on and that is slightly improving.

I don't see any way that smaller operations are going to be able to significantly lower their prices though. If anything core costs, taxes, fees and regulations are increasing and this has almost nothing to do with labor costs.

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,173 Posts
I'm not surprised. I had often joked with my wife that in a few years after the pandemic, the market would be flooded with barely-used RVs. All these people decided to "try out" the life of RVing whilst trapped at home, and found that they really didn't enjoy sitting around in a campground watching TV and playing video games and calling in to work. So now they're all going to be selling them.

I hope they also quit overbooking (and not using) our wonderful state park systems, so that those of us who actually enjoy being outdoors and seeing things can find places to say when we want to be out hiking, paddling, seeing the stars, and otherwise embracing the natural world.

That Solis is a pretty cool unit, and if we were to go back to a retail-type RV, would be a decent choice if it weren't the extra long version.

Yup ,,, Not surprising with the past low borrowing rates & now high inflation & mortgage & loan rates in some cases triple.

Soon it will be time to take flight;

Sky Head Bird Eye Accipitridae

· Registered
2019 118" Silver
2,158 Posts
If you’re in a perfect temperature range and don’t mind zero sound insulation pop tops (tent sections) are ok. It’s a good way to temporarily give you extra space you don’t otherwise have (keyword being temporary, or emergency) but not as the only sleeping area. It’s just like those budget travel trailers that have fold out beds on the sides or ends with tent roofs/sides to expand the small enclosure.

If you’re Boondocking out in the wild I can see that being an ok option, but if you’re in a crowded campground, behind Cracker Barrel, or at a noisy truck stop for the night it reminds me too much of my Coleman pop-up days so I don’t see them as a ‘good’ solution to not really having enough space. YMMV

· Registered
89 Posts
If you’re in a perfect temperature range and don’t mind zero sound insulation pop tops (tent sections) are ok. It’s a good way to temporarily give you extra space you don’t otherwise have (keyword being temporary, or emergency) but not as the only sleeping area. It’s just like those budget travel trailers that have fold out beds on the sides or ends with tent roofs/sides to expand the small enclosure.

If you’re Boondocking out in the wild I can see that being an ok option, but if you’re in a crowded campground, behind Cracker Barrel, or at a noisy truck stop for the night it reminds me too much of my Coleman pop-up days so I don’t see them as a ‘good’ solution to not really having enough space. YMMV
The solace has a good bed at the back as well and we have a cat bunk for the kids with two beds so no issues even if we can't use the pop-up like in winter

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2019 118" Silver
2,158 Posts
The solace has a good bed at the back as well and we have a cat bunk for the kids with two beds so no issues even if we can't use the pop-up like in winter

Yeah, although it’s not something I would want for myself I can see it being a good solution for some. I’ll bet kids and young folks would love it up there!

· Registered
644 Posts
It surely must be that way with tiny RVs like the typical van conversion. Living in a dwelling under 80 square feet in size for any length of time is a major challenge, especially in foul weather. Most people would not be up to that. We didn't permanently convert ours for that reason. :)

· Registered
89 Posts

We use ours for road trips or short camping trips if going somewhere no too far away for a week I will still take our 18 foot travel trailer as it seems huge inside in comparison.

· Registered
203 Posts
The first Solice was what...2019 or 2020?, so the used market has not had much time to simmer yet.
neighbor got a solid pocket for like 80k new in 2021 when they were fairly new and not moving. That same dealer had 2022 models heavily discounted again a few months ago so I wonder if it’s off season inventory clean out.
We’d save a good chunk of change if we went this route but neither the Solis or the pocket fit our style and needs. For one they have fairly low off grid battery supply and then the ac being as big as it is.

· Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
neighbor got a solid pocket for like 80k new in 2021 when they were fairly new and not moving. That same dealer had 2022 models heavily discounted again a few months ago so I wonder if it’s off season inventory clean out.
We’d save a good chunk of change if we went this route but neither the Solis or the pocket fit our style and needs. For one they have fairly low off grid battery supply and then the ac being as big as it is.
I noticed the a/c, a 13,500.....not needed and a lower profile Polar Cub @ 9,000 would be fine. The RV industry always seems to overdo it on A/C,,,even our tiny R-POD had a 13.5. Talk about ROAR....sheesh.

· Registered
544 Posts
I noticed the a/c, a 13,500.....not needed and a lower profile Polar Cub @ 9,000 would be fine. The RV industry always seems to overdo it on A/C,,,even our tiny R-POD had a 13.5. Talk about ROAR....sheesh.
Don't expect the smaller roof units to be noticeably quieter. Do expect them to be less able to keep a van comfy when over 90F even with partial shade.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts