Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im for Washington Im a Father climber and adventure'r looking to figure out what van i should get I am drawn to the Promaster for sideways sleeping and front wheel drive. Also the 159 still fits in our parking spaces...for the most part :) Hoping i can get some user data about MPG with the diesel and the gas engine. from what I have heard gas is about 18 im guessing diesel will be around the 25-30 range.

·
Super Moderator
10,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have received a lifetime (3 years) MPG of 17.1 with my 2014 gas Promaster. I'm sure diesel owners will step up with their mileage also. Be aware there may be no more diesel Promasters built because of problems between FCA & the EPA but nothing is written in stone (yet).

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
I keep saying 17 and 26 and most posters don’t argue. There are those that do better and those who do worse but this seems reasonable to me. As they say- YMMV No diesels in 2017 and the future is uncertain. It’s a great engine/transmission combo and so far the EPA seems to have had no issue with it but FCA stopped sales with no official announcement I believe.

·
Registered
201 Posts
2015 159 wb high top diesel 26-29 hwy light campervan conversion. (Roughly added 400 lbs.) 2 people, 100 lbs worth of canines plus camping gear. No problems with engine or transmission after 12000 miles. Nice engine, zips up and down the North Cascsdes mountain range with no problems. I'm never that guy in the campervan chugging up the mountain with a line of cars behind him.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 2015 159 high top gasser converted to a stealth camper that is used mostly on trips. I get 17/18 mpg; all up weight is just over 7,000 pounds. Gas fuel is, at least in the east, lower cost than diesel and easier to find. Also repairs and maintenance are lower cost for the gasser. My build is described in the first several posts of this thread:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58626&highlight=seapro

Due to advanced age 76 and health issues it is for sale:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62914

·
Registered
625 Posts
Whereabouts in WA state? There's a couple of us now in the SE area.

I have a 159wb EXT diesel, travel weight at 7000# right now. It has three driving styles; around town fairly easily, highway speeds at speed limit or minus 5 (me), and highway at speed limit +5 (her). Our lifetime mileage over 30k is 24mpg.

Even with the long extended van, I seldom find a 'standard' parking space that I can't park in. Though if it does get tight I try to remember to at least pull in the side mirrors. And it also helps that you can exit the slider or rear doors. Doesn't help those next to you though.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I haven't had my van long but am averaging somewhere around 16-17 mpg. I have a gas 136. The difference in mileage seems like a ton but when you figure in the cost up front and higher fuel costs, I can't see how buying a diesel makes sense for me unless I'm planning to put tons of miles on it a year. Being a campervan, I'm guessing the mileage will be less than 10,000 year which means it would take forever to make up the price difference. And there are lots of times we are traveling that diesel isn't available.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Diesel is available at nearly every regular station in the country. I travel the blue highways across the country and have NEVER found it a problem. The stations keep the diesel next to the gas pump, nice and clean and nearly the same price. Kill the myth that it's a problem, it's NOT. Payoff will be 100K miles for me. The real difference is how much better the diesel drives, well worth it even if you never go that far.

Jeeze do you folks say these things just to get me riled?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I get between 26 and 27 hand calculated on my 2016 136 High Top Diesel. It canl do better if kept between 45 and 60.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Finding diesel is a non issue in the Pacific NW. It's always the same price as regular unleaded. I know Diesel engines require more maintenance so the increased mileage makes it on par with gas engine expense. I got a great discount on my van and hopefully will recoupe the diesel premium money in resale. I plan to keep this for at least 20 years. I love the torque and once you've mastered the learning curve for the AMT, it's actually fun to drive.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Preliminary Mileage Report

6,769 miles; 15.463 mpg avg. That's total "since new". Don't drive particularly fast . . . rarely even 70 mph. A bit of back roads and some hills/mountains. Oh, and those utility-pole-blowing-down winds in western Oklahoma! Maximum ever reported: 17.085 mpg. Incidentally, we keep data on aCar and are anal about topping-off . . . know we're not supposed to . . . but can generally get 2.5 more gallons after 'first click-off' by topping-off. And with the small tank size, and comparatively short 'range', we need every gallon we can get. Hopefully, also, more accuracy on each fill-up mileage. (And, if it's not obvious, we have a gasser.)

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
CUT.... I know Diesel engines require more maintenance so the increased mileage makes it on par with gas engine expense.CUT...... I love the torque and once you've mastered the learning curve for the AMT, it's actually fun to drive.
Now I have to ask- what extra maintenance? Where do these myths get started?

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have had two VW diesels and loved them. We let them buy back the last one a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen manual transmission also at my wife's request. I'll be darned if I can understand the prices of gas versus diesel. Today at virtually all the pumps here in town regular is $2.16 and diesel is $2.58. Never has made any sense to me.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Shop around, better yet use GasBuddy app as diesel varies more than gas. Every station within miles will have the same gas price as they are colluding to keep you from having a price choice but in diesel there is less market so less collusion is needed on their part. I often find diesel varies by 30 cents at nearby stations. I will say that spread was not seen by us crossing the US this month and we usually paid 10-15 cents more for diesel than gas which was about 2.20 so the difference was normally 5-7% more for diesel. It makes diesel a great choice in a van that gets 150% better fuel mileage. Today the national average was 2.37 for gas and 2.51 for diesel according to AAA that is 6% more for diesel, similar to what we found. It does make some sense as it is much cheaper to retail gasoline as the volume is higher for the same cost of tanks and pumps etc. Not to mention the kitty liter to keep the spilled diesel neat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I too wonder about these myths about more maintenance and diesel unavailability. I bought my 1st diesel in 1988 because diesels required less maintenance. Just oil change and a fuel filter a few times a year. No spark plugs, plug wire or carburetor to fool with. I have traveled all lower 48 states and 5 provinces in Canada. Never have i ran out of fuel. I have come close because i like to run my tanks to almost empty, but never has availablity been a problem in close to 30 years of driving diesels. I have taken the promaster to 44 states since i bought it. Only 4 left for Charity: ca, or, wa & id. Charity is my dog & loyal travel buddy. If you want some real mpg data on almost every vehicle made check out fuelly.com

1 - 20 of 38 Posts