Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van build is pretty much finished. However, one thing I am noticing is every time I open the sliding door water dumps in from above (mostly snow melt). I could always use the front doors but hoping to find some sort of recommendation to keep the water out. I have weather tech guards over the door windows on order but they do not make them for the rear slider. Anyone found a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,006 Posts
Fiamma makes a drip stop rain gutter. Looks promising. I haven't found a US source yet.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,548 Posts
I put the hook side of high-temp Velcro underneath the outer top edge of the slider opening. A piece of stiff foam about 10" wide (to clear the leading edge of the open door) has the loop side of the Velcro glued to it. It works well, even if I forget to remove it.

The prototype after being whipped by the wind for a few miles.

Current one long enough to fit the opening.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,548 Posts
If I'm reading the photos correctly, the Remi is not going to work as well as the others. Because it attaches inside the curved door opening, it can't protect the front and rear edges. Depending on the slant of the vehicle, one end or the other is going to get deluged.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone who has installed a rain gutter above their sliding door can comment on it's effectiveness? I find water along the top of the door intermittently, either secondary to a poor seal or me not consistently closing the door hard enough. Either way, if a gutter would help prevent the ingress of water, it's something I would consider adding.

Here's another example of a gutter that would fit over the door.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
Was tired of water on the floor and installed a clear corner guard (less than $5 from HD) above the slider using white gorilla tape. Has been holding up for more than 8,000 miles and keeps the water away from the entry. https://photos.app.goo.gl/viwi1snEJKP71Qie8
I like cheap fixes, I have a scrap piece of this, https://www.menards.com/main/mouldings/panel-mouldings/8-cap-strip-laminated/v-19/p-1444449843425-c-8164.htm?tid=-1299406687854724152&ipos=60, white tape or 3m trim tape.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone who has installed a rain gutter above their sliding door can comment on it's effectiveness? I find water along the top of the door intermittently, either secondary to a poor seal or me not consistently closing the door hard enough. Either way, if a gutter would help prevent the ingress of water, it's something I would consider adding.

Here's another example of a gutter that would fit over the door. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CJRGX5M...colid=ZP0VFQ6E6B9C&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
This is what I have, only in white. I ran mine down over the front door a ways just to make sure the water was fully diverted away from the slider. It works very well, the only issue being that the water still needs to go somewhere, so there's always a small stained area in the front from the runoff.

If I remember correctly I purchase it on Ebay, I don't remember it being very expensive, maybe $20 or so for enough to go completely across.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am thinking about designing the area of my roof rack over the sliding door with an "eave" to guide water/snowmelt just past the sliding door. I have also noticed that the PM gets a lot of sun thru the enormous sliding door opening. Hoping to create just a little bit of shade without having to setup the awning and guide the water to the ground instead of running down the van. Im thinking just a slightly sloped piece of plastic or aluminum mounted at a downward angle at the edge of the roof rack (roof rack is made of aluminum extrusion). Ideas and thoughts on this possible solution welcomed!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,548 Posts
Several years ago, I put a piece of heavy-duty Velcro just under the lip of the sliding door opening. I have a piece of plastic about 10" wide that fastens to it. I can install and uninstall from the inside. If I forget to remove it, it stays put, but develops a wave from the wind. It generally keeps the open door area dry. You can see it here after I forgot to take it down. (That screen is my prototype. Much better now.)

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'll be putting a "drip rail" made from anodized J trim normally used for panel/mirrors/glass etc and adhered with 3M double stick foam tape . Prolly wouldn't work too well for a bunch of snow melt but be ok for rain .

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am thinking about designing the area of my roof rack over the sliding door with an "eave" to guide water/snowmelt just past the sliding door. I have also noticed that the PM gets a lot of sun thru the enormous sliding door opening. Hoping to create just a little bit of shade without having to setup the awning and guide the water to the ground instead of running down the van. Im thinking just a slightly sloped piece of plastic or aluminum mounted at a downward angle at the edge of the roof rack (roof rack is made of aluminum extrusion). Ideas and thoughts on this possible solution welcomed!
On my work Transit Connect there are stainless steel in 26/28 gage "rain shields" over both sliding doors . They are bolted to the VanTech cross bars . Stainless steel sheet can be very thin , and strong . Had the long ends doubled for strength .Have your sheet metal shop do some "breaks" to add strength and contour .
I made a 1" wide template the show the shape I wanted . Worked perfect , looks goofy .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts