Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my cabinets made and installed and am looking for ideas on latch types to keep the doors from flying open when driving. The overhead cabinets lift up with Rockler overhead bin hinges. I'm not impressed with the push button type latches that I see on a lot of the Mfg. Class B's. I think the those little plastic latches where you partly open the door then disengage the catch would work but thought some of you might have used something better. Any ideas?
The base cabinet doors use Blum hinges that fairly secure the doors from opening but I think a positive latch would be more secure. The drawer has a soft close slider that probably doesn't need a latch. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks emat I'll give them a look. My issue with the ones I've seen on the Mfg. Class B's was they were difficult to use.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
I have some cheapie ($5) plastic ones but they’ve worked perfectly for 3 years. My only suggestion is to try and find ones that latch securely when you close them because I always forget to push the button back in and they fly open.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SteveSS,
Unless I'm missing something, it looks like these are for an inset door that is 5/8" thick. My doors are face frame style, overlay, 3/4" thick.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Mine fit right in ¾" stock and are a quarter the price of those!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Keeponvanning. Where did you find them? I was at Camping World yesterday and didn't see any that I would like.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Some marine supply place in Seattle. There is a thread on it here somewhere. If you can’t find it I’ll look for it in the am.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
2018 159"
52 Posts
I've been using these for 10 months. The intent was to use these temporarily until I found a latch I really liked. But, these are working pretty well - might just keep them.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/CampN-Pair-Push-Catch-Replacement/dp/B074WFN45Y[/ame]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Southco M1 series latches are great. Also take a look at their prevailing torque hinges. These are adjustable friction hinges that will hold lighter doors in any position. And no chance of rattles.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

Celtec expanded PVC cabinets in our Sprinter.

·
Registered
756 Posts
definitely not as nice as as the southco's but if you are looking for something cheap and easy or temporary there are a bunch of options for child cabinet locks. I have been using these to keep the toddler out of cabinets at home and they would work fine for the van, adhesive and easy to install. they are pretty nifty, you can set them to not lock when the door closes or lock when the door closes.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Proofing-Magnetic-Cabinet-Locks-Safety/dp/B07B47PDB4/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=child+cabinet+locks&qid=1561410254&s=gateway&sr=8-7[/ame]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wanted a very secure latch for my galley drawers, as we do quite a lot of driving on rough and washboard gravel and dirt roads. These did the trick.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D4XBDZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts