Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw fiberglass overhead storage bins somewhere on a van build thread, maybe on this forum, but can't seem to find the post. Want to purchase a few bins to install at the wall / ceiling location , purchasing premade fiberglass ones should be way easier than building as I have trouble with tools and straight or curved lines. Anyone know where to get the bins? The bins look like the overhead storage compartments you see on commercial passenger airplanes.
Thanks

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,825 Posts
I'm afraid you may be stymied by dimensions. Our vans are huge except when compared to airplanes.

I have a couple airplane dinner carts that would be the cat's meow in the van if they were a bit smaller.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Are you thinking of something like this? Probably made of reinforced plastic rather than fiberglass. Airplane probably plastic over aluminum frame.

Anyway, I've thought of same application, although these appear a bit small.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had exactly same idea. I even found used Airbus one in Turkey for $650, could be delivered to AZ for $535 USD.

So the total comes to $1185 USD for one unit. All these airplane stuff is extremely expensive.

I've seen nice airplaine-like overhead bins in European RV's. Wasn't able to find anything comparable in the US.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are some on Ebay, but most are not cheap.

Great idea by the way! I was thinking of building overhead shelves out of aluminum, but I was not looking forward to it. The bins from passenger aircraft would be perfect. Lightweight, made to take lots of abuse and always stay securely closed.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,376 Posts
I saw fiberglass overhead storage bins somewhere on a van build thread, maybe on this forum, but can't seem to find the post. Want to purchase a few bins to install at the wall / ceiling location , purchasing premade fiberglass ones should be way easier than building as I have trouble with tools and straight or curved lines. Anyone know where to get the bins? The bins look like the overhead storage compartments you see on commercial passenger airplanes.
Thanks
Can't help on fiberglass overhead storage bins, but you might look at underbody truck boxes install upside down and add gas lifts or find one with gas lifts. May even work as an in between seat lockable storage console.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Aluminum-Truck-Pickup-Underbody-Under-bed-Tool-Box-Trailer-Storage-Tool-Box-/231504813102?hash=item35e6c31c2e

1 - 7 of 7 Posts