Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my build is done, I'd like to keep it stocked with whatever foods that I can just put in there and forget about that can withstand extreme temperature and humidity swings. I know that survivalist forums have lists of all kinds of foods but many of them require cool storage which my van is definitely not at least part of the year.

The idea is that if I decide to just up and go somewhere last minute I'll have a somewhat stocked kitchen so that I can just pack some everyday perishable essentials and have enough to get me by for a while. So, I'd like to get some ideas of what you guys recommend.

Here's my list of ideas off the top of my head (and maybe some of these need to be scratched):

Coffee, dehydrated creamer and sweeteners
Pasta
Rice
Granola bars
Microwave popcorn
Honey
Various herbs and seasonings

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,355 Posts
I have the same idea and keep some food items in the van all winter. Once the season is over, in November I clear it out for the winter (in CT), restock in April

Everything on your list,
plus:
pancake mix... I love pancakes for breakfast on the road!
some cans of tuna fish
some cans of soup
assorted crackers
PB (but no jelly)
a jar or two of spaghetti sauce... unopened it's OK.

I have a go-kit (ham radio talk for stuff ready to grab and go) of refrigerated items in a plastic container that fits perfectly in our fridge so we can grab it and go. It sits in our home fridge waiting...
relish
mustard
maple syrup (see aforementioned pancakes above) *repackaged in smaller squeeze bottle
salad dressing
mayo *squeeze bottle version
jelly (as in PB&J) (has to be grape!)

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Twinkies will survive the zombie apocalypse! Seriously, your list of staples looks good for starters. But you probably also want stuff to go with them to make a complete meal in case a grocery store isn't handy. Dry soup mix, pasta sauce, instant oatmeal, etc. Pro tip, Kirkland canned chicken isn't bad as a protein additive to soups, burritos, etc.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,277 Posts
The kinds of staples that proeddie stores separately in his home fridge, we just leave in the van fridge because it runs 24/7. Two drawers stay stocked with canned goods, crackers, etc. Home freezer stays stocked with ready-to-go entrees like meat loaf, lasagna, pot roast, pulled pork, etc.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The one non-perishable I always keep in the van and consume daily is a meal replacement shake from Redcon1 called "MRE". It's basically a non-dairy protein and oats product. It's a bit expensive, but has been a godsend for my van travels as it cuts down on meal prep and cleanup times, keeps me away from the junk food and fast food joints when hunger strikes, and stores well.

I also cook at least twice per day so I have the typical spices along with dried lentils, a bean mix, brown rice, quinoa, dehydrated mixed veggies, instant coffee, flour, sugar and few other odds and ends. They're all in 24oz clear PET plastic jars with screw on lids (I got a smoking deal on 1000's of the jars years ago and use them for pretty much everything). I typically shop for fresh foods and perishables about once per week, but have non-perishables to last a few months if necessary.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,355 Posts
...we just leave in the van fridge because it runs 24/7.
The upgrade to 300Ah of Li batteries may change our process a bit, although the combination of AGMs + shore power had me keeping the fridge on all summer anyway. Based on a week's experience, I'm not sure how much I will be plugging into shore power anyway... 40A B2B re-supplies pretty quickly, even without solar.

When not on a trip, I usually keep stuff to drink in the fridge. If we go to a store and buy some frozen stuff, I crank it to "freezer" and use it tkeep that in it 'til we get home.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I can't think of any foods that will hold up in our vehicles in this area without at least some temperature moderation / control. (San Francisco East Bay).

I have had some luck with putting items inside of a good cooler - without any ice. It helps to moderate the upper and lower temperature range, because it cools off here most nights.

A case of water helped to provide some thermal mass.

It is one of the reasons that I like @MsNomer setup and am beginning to be a real fan of a dual or triple fridge setups. ~ 60 F, ~ 30 F, ~ 0 F. Also potentially reduces the risk of insects and rodents getting to the food. Bears of course can still somehow smell it and that will always lead to them getting it, because for them, a van is similar to a paper bag full of potato chips.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,355 Posts
I have an issue with bread, rolls, etc. No matter what wooden cabinet I put them in, even if the items are in a plastic sealed bag, the wood starts to get a bread smell. Not bad, but not desirable.

On our last trip I decided to try baked goods storage in the microwave... it works well. Bread stays fresh but it doesn't have any impact on the metal interior of the microwave. So far, a pretty good solution.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,277 Posts
…am beginning to be a real fan of a dual or triple fridge setups. ~ 60 F, ~ 30 F, ~ 0 F.
It's sad how the more we have, the more we want. Every time I load the freezer, I wish it were twice as big. We also have a storage issue with grapes and cherries that we like to eat while driving—too bulky for the fridge, especially early in a trip when the fridge is solid packed. If I had room, I’d consider a second MT45 as a freezer, making the MT27 a fruit fridge.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
540 Posts
Mac & cheese mix (get the better stuff that has the sauce in a pouch rather than a powder, as the powder takes milk and/or butter to reconstitute).
If you like curry, WalMart has a good curry kit: Great-Value-D92-Gv-Thai-Yellow-Curry-Sauce-Kit-7-Oz
Instant Oatmeal.
Chicken chunks in a can, e.g. 2-Pack-Great-Value-Chunk-Chicken-Breast-in-Water-12-5-oz-Can
Dehydrated Milk
Canned soups
And every Viking's favorite:
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAMITY SPAM, WONDERFUL SPAM
Of course, you should rotate stock on a regular basis, e.g. once a month, pull the stock out of the van and replace with fresh, and the put what was in the van into the house and use it.
(WalMart links are butchered because their web server is dumb, but you can search for what I gave.)

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
It's sad how the more we have, the more we want. Every time I load the freezer, I wish it were twice as big. We also have a storage issue with grapes and cherries that we like to eat while driving—too bulky for the fridge, especially early in a trip when the fridge is solid packed. If I had room, I’d consider a second MT45 as a freezer, making the MT27 a fruit fridge.
That could be it, but perhaps it is about us coming around to the reality of what it means to live in a vehicle vs in a grid attached home.

A home has quite a bit of built in insulation and methods to keep the interior temperature moderated, even if the grid fails vs being in a van.

Even in our house, we really can't leave bananas out for more than a few days.

Bread - we have to store it in a freezer or it goes bad in just a few days - even refrigeration doesn't do it. Similar things are reasons that we have a 2nd refrigerator / freezer in the garage at the house - as well as for disaster planning.

It starts to seem like the only food related item that does not need to be kept sort of sealed away in a van are the plates and coffee cups - and even those could benefit from being more sealed away for longer term storage between trips.

At some point, it almost seems like if not for the cost, maybe a large portion of the interior storage should be temperature controlled and sealed - sort of resembling a bunch of refrigerators and freezers.

I really like the idea of being able to just hop in and drive away - and similarly - not spend a lot of time putting things away when we get home. It is the part we like the least about camping.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,338 Posts
All year round stuff: Catsup, mustard, mayo and eggs in the fringe. Rice, beans, sugar, coffee, pasta, tea, oatmeal, Bisquick, craisins, Instant potatoes, olive oil, hot sauce, in jars on the shelves. Broth, tuna, spaghetti sauce, apple sauce under the sink. If I'm taking a trip, I add the perishables.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the same idea and keep some food items in the van all winter. Once the season is over, in November I clear it out for the winter (in CT), restock in April

Everything on your list,
plus:
pancake mix... I love pancakes for breakfast on the road!
some cans of tuna fish
some cans of soup
assorted crackers
PB (but no jelly)
a jar or two of spaghetti sauce... unopened it's OK.

I have a go-kit (ham radio talk for stuff ready to grab and go) of refrigerated items in a plastic container that fits perfectly in our fridge so we can grab it and go. It sits in our home fridge waiting...
relish
mustard
maple syrup (see aforementioned pancakes above) *repackaged in smaller squeeze bottle
salad dressing
mayo *squeeze bottle version
jelly (as in PB&J) (has to be grape!)
For car camping i do the same thing a rubbermaid bin( latching) that i stock up and move in and out of the car for each camping trip, haven’t had anything go bad but inside the bin it’s all in modern Airtight tupperware style containers( clear and labeled) plastic baskets from target for fridge stuff!

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
719 Posts
All year round stuff: Catsup, mustard, mayo and eggs in the fringe. Rice, beans, sugar, coffee, pasta, tea, oatmeal, Bisquick, craisins, Instant potatoes, olive oil, hot sauce, in jars on the shelves. Broth, tuna, spaghetti sauce, apple sauce under the sink. If I'm taking a trip, I add the perishables.
Lola-Marie Kondo 😉

1 - 20 of 21 Posts