Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Speaking of toe kick, I've been wondering if it's a good idea in a van. Our current apartment only has this on one spot maybe 2 ft long or less. Basically light prep, cocktails, coffee. I just went over there and I don't think I have ever stood close enough to get my toes under there. In the van, raising everything a few inches wastes all that space. Does anyone even like toe kick?
I have big feet, so my toes hit the wall when standing at a counter that does not have one. It also gave us a great place to run our heat ducting from the Propex. There is some 'dead space' currently, but I'm sure we'll eventually find something to stuff in there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I love toe kicks for all of supermoocow's reasons, and for aesthetic reasons. They add to the illusion of space, while losing very little space.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my 136' HT delivered couple of months ago and still thinking over the floor plan.
And, I ran into this video series of Class B RV.. sized similar to 136' and very much like your plan...
It's based in Korea and the van has manual transmission!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I got my 136' HT delivered couple of months ago and still thinking over the floor plan.
Initially I planned to block off the cab with the kitchen and bathroom, but I got great advise here against that, for safety reasons, and and for when I want to park stealth. I need to be able to access the back without opening the side door, and I'd not even thought about that. The people here help you think.

Another helpful thing: I cut out all the "furniture" in cardboard and filled the van. Boy, did that help me finalize the floor plan. I nixed 2 dressers and redesigned some of the overhead bins. It's a good way to really think through what you need and what you don't need.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
And that thought process continues as you build. Cardboard has its limitations. Don’t wed yourself to anything and let the creative juices continue to flow. Goodness gracious, that was such a fun time!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
And that thought process continues as you build. Cardboard has its limitations. Don’t wed yourself to anything and let the creative juices continue to flow. Goodness gracious, that was such a fun time!
I won't. I cut it down to the minimum of the three essentials: bed bath and kitchen. Once that's in I'll decide on the rest.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
Um—there’s no 83” opening in the van. 😉

When I look at your floor plan, I can’t help but think that if you moved the kitchen to the other side, you'd remove the choke point and open up a big beautiful space. Tradeoffs, of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Um—there’s no 83” opening in the van. 😉

When I look at your floor plan, I can’t help but think that if you moved the kitchen to the other side, you'd remove the choke point and open up a big beautiful space. Tradeoffs, of course.
Oops. That's a typo. It should say 43" opening. I love the idea of cooking while looking out at the open air. Plus then the sink sprayer works as an outdoor rince-off. There's no window on the other side. I only got the door window and the back windows, and none of them open. But I do like the idea of all that floorspace... hmmmmm...

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
Motion Windows open so that one over the kitchen could used as a pass-through and could be used for outdoor rinse, plus providing a view—though not as good a view as an open door. But then, sometimes weather is not conducive to open door. Ahh, so many choices, one little (not) van.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
[/QUOTE]
I moved it, and I LOVE THE NEW LAYOUT!! That gives me enough floor space that, if I want to take a friend, I can actually set up a small cot on the floor, and the storage elements give me everything I need plus room to add down the road, if needed.

So I've done the insulation, and made the window covers. We've had so much snow, I've not been able to do much else. I ended up buying a ladder. Then after I bought it, I saw on a post here that said it's basically a security breach. Oh well, too late. I need to get up on the roof and this is the best solution for me. I ended up with a crazy roof design in order to have 400w of solar. I hope it works, because I bought all the pieces. If it doesn't work I'll find a way to make it work. There's always a way.

Back to the ladder. It hooks over the back door and then 2 screws attach at the bottom. I'm thinking a rivnut (or pushnut?) instead of the screws. Then I can keep it in the garage if I find it is truly unsafe or if the stealing of solar panels in my neighborhood becomes an issue. Any advise? On the Amazon reviews someone said they were gonna bolt it because the screws were coming loose, so I'm thinking anything but a screw is a good idea. This will be my first hole in the van so I'm seriously overthinking it.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
Ahhhhhh. (y) As I sit here in my van, I can see yours.

As you contemplate your small cabinet by the door, contemplate building in a fold-away seat of a height most comfortable for you. Particularly when dressing, it is handy to have a hard flat seat—works better than cab seat. I didn’t realize how handy this would be until I made my permanent toilet there. I can see several ways to accomplish this, but I don’t want to spoil your creative fun. :)

EDIT: I went back to your first post and saw the seats and table under the bed, so less need for that extra seat. However, the "seat" I mentioned could also be useful as a table when cooking outside with the slider open. We use our passenger battery box and the lid of the toilet for that purpose. Then after COVID, you could have a party with seating for four.

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
260 Posts
I think it ALL depends on hoe YOU use your van. For us, having the fridge accessible from the slider is pretty important. How many other things in your van do you need accessible from the ground? That you can't access from the back? About the only other thing I can think of is the water, as in a shower or to wash off other things, like surfboard or bike (or person). Figure out HOW YOU will ACTUALLY use your van, and the pieces will fall into place.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts