Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I love my PM, but the locks make no sense. What I want is to push one button, everything locks or UNlocks. According to the manual that is possible by setting it on the uconnect menu but I have not found such an option.
Sometimes when i turn off the engine all the locks ( front and cargo) are unlocked. Other times they are locked.

Never owned a vehicle with such illogical locks. Or is it me????

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had my PM for about three weeks now. I agree. The power locks are unlike any vehicle I've ever seen before. I have the auto-lock feature turned off on uconnect. Having to push two different buttons on the key-fob to unlock the front doors first, and then the rear doors is enough to drive me nuts. Worse yet is the fact that once you push one unlock button, there is a couple second delay before the system allows you to use the other unlock button for the other doors. At least the key-fobs will work at normal distances from the van. In my 2010 Sprinter, You must have a clear line of sight, aim the fob at the van, not through any glass windows (it won't work from inside my house), and must be within about 50' from the van. I think Sprinter actually uses infrared technology instead of radio frequency like most manufacturers. But at least Sprinter has one lock and one unlock button on the key-fob.

·
Super Moderator
9,044 Posts
I went all over this with the dealer and they told me they could reprogram them to all open at once, then after waiting an hour or so, they said no it was not possible you have to push both buttons to unlock everything! Ridiculous to say the least and a big PITA but I've got used to it now.!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I gotta agree, the locks are counter-intuitive.

What I also don't understand is that even though there's no alarm system (that I know of) simply locking the front doors arms the blinking red light by the hazard light. If you then hit the door lock buttons from inside, that light doesn't flash. I know this because I sleep in the **** thing.

Kip-on-Truckin'

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes mine has an alarm, if you open the doors without hitting unlock the horn sounds. Also the dash indicator tells you a break in has occurred.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just picked up my new van yesterday. Dealer explanation of locks made perfect sense for professional users. I guess in Europe lots of people have the partition. So setting up the locks for front and rear separately makes good sense.

I think it's cool they thought to put light on arm rest to warn you if rear is unlocked.

I'm ok with hitting lock button twice to lock front and rear.

BTW, I searched and found a recent build date when I bought. 6/14

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Just picked up my new van yesterday. Dealer explanation of locks made perfect sense for professional users. I guess in Europe lots of people have the partition. So setting up the locks for front and rear separately makes good sense.

I think it's cool they thought to put light on arm rest to warn you if rear is unlocked.

I'm ok with hitting lock button twice to lock front and rear.

BTW, I searched and found a recent build date when I bought. 6/14
I have partition. One button to lock all (middle botton) Front button on key
to unlock front, Back button on key to unlock back.
So I think its a cool Idea also.
I can have the front locked and go in and out of the back or visaversa.

Dwight and Arch Congrats on your new vans!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same setup as uncubed but have found that if I'm working out of the back of my van and need to get into the front, I can use the key in the drivers door or the unlock button on my remote to get in. Now the problem is how to lock the passenger side door. If I use the key on the drivers side, I can hear the passenger side unlock too. To lock the passenger side door, I have to close all the doors and use the remote to lock all the doors. Is there a setting somewhere for that so I don't have to shut all the doors?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Why do you want to lock the passenger door independently of anything else?

After I'm done doing whatever I'm doing, close it up and hit the center "lock" button and everything locks. What's wrong with that?

I'm fine with the separate unlock of the cargo area from the passenger area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I need to lock both front doors when I'm working out of the back of my van. The areas I work in are known to have, um, undesirables patrolling looking for anything they can sell for a buck. We had one guy put an aluminum water pump on the machine he was working on, turned away to get a wrench from his van and when he turned around again, a guy on a bicycle was wheeling down the road with the new pump.
My point is that I can't lock the front doors without first closing the back doors. My centre lock button doesn't do squat when the drivers door is open, same with the button on the drivers door. Is there a step that I'm missing in this?

·
Super Moderator
9,044 Posts
I don't think so. It works the same way for me. If any door is open you cannot lock the van. There is probably a way to trick the door locks with a switch if you have the time to figure it out and hack it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So get out of the front and immediately hit "lock" before doing anything else, then unlock the cargo area and open the back door.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree the locks are a little crazy. I can understand their thinking, but there should be a way to program it the way I want it, not the guy that designed it.
Maybe be able to press one button twice to unlock all?

If I don't remember to unlock the back when I get out and leave the keys inside I have to walk back around to get the key.
Maybe a door lock button on one of the rear doors?? This way I can lock all the doors and not need the fob?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another strange thing about the locks....

I unlock the van with the remote. I get in and drive. Then I stop and turn it off. Sometimes the slider and back door are locked. Sometimes not.

No pattern here, seems random. I would at least like all the doors to unlock when I turn off engine.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
another strange thing about the locks....

I unlock the van with the remote. I get in and drive. Then I stop and turn it off. Sometimes the slider and back door are locked. Sometimes not.

No pattern here, seems random. I would at least like all the doors to unlock when I turn off engine.

Any ideas?
Mine locks after one or two minutes in drive. Yes it would be nice to have it
unlock when turned off. Then lock it with the centre button after.
There must be a way to program it that way ,but I do not know how.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It doesn't work perfectly with an aftermarket alarm/fob either. Viper alarm here.

Especially the back doors. Sometimes alarm unlock has to be pushed three times.

Liveable though - I cannot park it without some kind of alarm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts