Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts
Now I'm pretty sure Inlet Check Valve (ICV) is required on gas tank, serves several functions.
There have been some problems, I think the you have to order the gas tank, IIRC over $300.
example

·
Registered
49 Posts
When the check valves were added to vehicles many years (decades?) ago, the explanation was it was to keep gas from gushing out in an accident or turn-over. It also stopped me from siphoning gas for the mowers.

In the photo of the filler door, what is the round protrusion molded below the filler cap?

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
Kids get the gas from the bottom of the poly tank, fill their bucket and let the rest flow to the ground....
Yeah, chances are they're not even going to look at the cap since newer cars are impossible to siphon these days. Have heard of local thefts (back when gas was $4-5 /gal) where they just poked a hole in the bottom of the tank and filled their cans below it - much easier on bigger vehicles with good ground clearance like ours.

"Newer vehicles feature rollover valves that help relieve tank pressure and prevent back-flow, but they also prevent gas siphoning, so traditional siphoning methods and devices aren't effective or could even cause damage." Jul 12, 2018 thenewswheel.com

So if you need a little gas for your weed-whacker don't even try it!

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
No. Going rate around Spartanburg, SC is $2.62 now, up about 20 cents from before the pipeline shut down and now the 'summer driving season' is here so probably won't come back down. There's quite a range though with some places up around $2.90, Sam's and Costco at $2.53.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I got my locking cap in yesterday but I guess I will send it back after this discussion. Filled up yesterday and paid just short of $90 😪

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you have a diesel that's empty spot is for the DEF filler neck.
View attachment 74899
Thanks for posting that pic Phil.
Great place to put the fuel inlet for a diesel parking heater.

I use a locking gas cap when on the road. It is a PIA (pain in the but) to use. Someone I know was down due to unauthorized tank additive. Ounce of prevention worth more than a tank needing a cure.
When at home put the stock cap back in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A layered approach to security makes sense.
100% of gas thieves/vandals have access to stock cap. A nice chunk of them won't bother with a locked cap.
So - you are reducing your exposure with a locked cap. Mine has been on since shortly after purchase in 2019 and no problems/check engine lights.

The same goes for using a steering wheel immobilizer, alarm, cameras etc. Every layer of security you add reduces your exposure to a certain percentage of dirtbags.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
209 Posts
A layered approach to security makes sense.
100% of gas thieves/vandals have access to stock cap. A nice chunk of them won't bother with a locked cap.
So - you are reducing your exposure with a locked cap. Mine has been on since shortly after purchase in 2019 and no problems/check engine lights.

The same goes for using a steering wheel immobilizer, alarm, cameras etc. Every layer of security you add reduces your exposure to a certain percentage of dirtbags.
I have to think that by now the steering wheel lock has run its course. Getting a modern vehicle to start without an original key is basically impossible and anyone out to steal a car knows this.

The locking gas cap might have some value in that at least an attempted gas thief or general scumbag won’t be able to put any foreign objects or liquids in your tank.

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
I thinks it’s real value would be to stop vandalism as you pointed out. I’ve had arguments with gas jockeys in NJ who don’t believe I don’t have to open the door for them to open the gas cap compartment cover!

Reactions: Uvan
21 - 32 of 32 Posts