Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered one today. With gas approaching $4.50 a gallon I can't afford to have some idiot syphon it.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,224 Posts
FYI the locking gas cap is a Stant 10508.

ref: Locking gas cap

With some careful drilling, you can attach the original lanyard.

can you open the fuel door if the van is locked? Or are you worried someone will break open the fuel door?
Yes, and I think it is a stupid design. If they hinged it the other way and put a lip under the driver's doot it would be much more difficult to get into.

·
Registered
94 Posts
WTF, I just assumed the fuel door locked. Now I'm going to have to buy a locking fuel cap. I'm less worried about gas theft than random vandalism. Thanks for the info! I also had a car (relatively expensive luxury) that also did not have a locking fuel door. WTF.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts
adding a lock to the plastic door shouldn't be to hard, but a a locking cap is easier

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
A locking plastic door isn’t going to stop anyone anyway.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
216 Posts
See where that key code is etched on? Grind it off. Do that for any bicycle U-locks containing etched codes too. A Dremel tool with a rough grinding stone will work.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
. . . key code is etched on? Grind it off. . . .
Or just watch a few episodes of lock picking lawyer and realize that locks are security theater :-(

I suppose a locking gas cap might offer a tiny bit of deterrence to a bored punk with a hose and a gas can. For somebody determined enough to read the key code and get a key, a locking gas cap is not going be in their way in any case.

The body of the gas cap is plastic, a large pair of slip joint pliers would probably make short work of it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Or just watch a few episodes of lock picking lawyer and realize that locks are security theater :-(

I suppose a locking gas cap might offer a tiny bit of deterrence to a bored punk with a hose and a gas can. For somebody determined enough to read the key code and get a key, a locking gas cap is not going be in their way in any case.

The body of the gas cap is plastic, a large pair of slip joint pliers would probably make short work of it.
LPL is one of my favorites for exposing some of the silliness of "secure" locks.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
209 Posts
My locking gas cap is like the cameras with the little leds in my windows at my house. They are deterrents, they won't stop a pro but hopefully an amateur will pass and move on.
People have a tendency to overthink things. A locking gas cap is no less secure than a latched fuel door and might be slightly more secure. If I were a thief and had to brute force one of them open I’d probably choose the door. A petty fuel thief isn’t likely to try to break into a locking gas cap with so many other easy targets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Just today someone told me that one cannot put a hose down some gas ports. He said there was a spring or something in there that prevented syphoning of gas. Can anyone concur??

·
Registered
2019 2500 tall long wheelbase van
95 Posts
Just today someone told me that one cannot put a hose down some gas ports. He said there was a spring or something in there that prevented syphoning of gas. Can anyone concur??
Yes. I wanted to keep the fuel from my older promaster and used a small hand pump siphon kit. You cannot get the hose to go down past about 1 foot into the fill port.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts
The first part of the fill tube is pointed towards the center of the van, then goes down, but the bottom curve is slightly angled back towards your feet, then a sharp turn straight into the tank. That bottom part is a choke point, I'm sure a spring coil snake will make it around but I doubt a tube/hose will.
My test tube came up wet, last 3", the van hasn't moved for several days and it's 3/4 full so there is fuel in the fill tube.
I don't know if there is a check valve at the tank entrance, but seeing only 3" or so of gas makes me think there is a check valve.
My test tube has a lip and I could not detect anything snagging on it.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,451 Posts
Re: check valve:

So...does this mean there isn't a need for a locking gas cap or door after all???! (*)

Could the presence of a check valve be sufficient to cause the intermittent clicking-off of a gas pump nozzle before the tank is full that so many of us are annoyed with??

(*) Even if siphoning is prevented by the check valve, I guess a bad person could tamper with your gas by putting IN a substance that's bad for your engine.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The idea with the locking gas cap I believe is to deter people before they start jamming foreign objects into the fuel tank.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,500 Posts
Kids get the gas from the bottom of the poly tank, fill their bucket and let the rest flow to the ground. So you need a locking gas cap, a metal fuel tank guard and don't forget the squirrel cage for the cat and that should slow them down some.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts
If there is a check valve it's only function would be to keep gas from flowing out should the rubber hose get dislodged in an accident. I don't actually know if there is a check valve.
As for fill problems, I don't see any issues with the filler neck and tube, I'd be looking at the vent hose on the tank.
-----I don't actually know if there is a check valve----
I'm in the camp that says a locking cap would help move the siphoner to an easier target, if someone really wants your gas it's rather easy to do.
Lucky for us gassers the cats are not easy to remove, but they may mistake the resonator for a cat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts