Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it.

First, the Mopar locking gas cap (5278655AB) is made by Stant. It bears the Stant "S". And it's identical to the Stant version (10508).

Second, this is how you operate either one: The key is only removable in the LOCKED position. Remove the key then screw the cap on the filler tube just like a factory cap. But try to unscrew it and it just spins freely. To unlock and remove it, insert and turn the key 90 degrees; leave the key there and twist the cap off normally. Turn the key back to the locked position to remove it.

Third, you can attach the factory cap's lanyard to a locking cap by drilling a 1/4" hole in the grip off to the side of the key hole, close to the base of the grip at it's widest. Be careful not to drill past the exterior plastic. The lanyard is just long enough to still let the cap be removed.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Do they make a green one for the Diesel?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,334 Posts
Check out the SLANT 10508D green, the 10508 black should fit a gasser and looks the same so find a gasser and check fit with your green cap. The 10508D fits the 6cyl 3.0l diesel per slant.

·
Registered
2020 159
17 Posts
I thought it was a bit shitty to not have it lock as standard (or just have a gas cap release near the driver) like cars... Ah well, I just bought a locking cap!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Found my gas cap left open this morning. Turn on the car and didn't see any change in my gas gauge. I'm guess they only got a couple gallons or got spook. Going to get the locking cap. Thanks for the part#.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you tried one for earlier years? Things like this rarely change.
Hi. Yes. Mopar has nothing. A few other sites have the 2019, but state it's not compatible with the 2020. They all look the same to me. I'll have to just take the van to a local auto parts store and try on one after another, I guess. My concern is that a bad fit will affect the smog testing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Had one of those spin-freely locking caps that started to spin freely even with the key. Don't remember if it was a Stant but that's a problem. Luckily after playing with the key a bit it started working. Hit it with some 3-in-1 later and it seemed ok for awhile. After it happened again I retired that cap and went back to the stock one.

Have only had gas stolen once (tank had been topped off and was down toward half the next morning) during that time it even got up around $4 a gallon here in SC. Someone easily popped that outer 'locking flap' on my Civic open with a screwdriver. Didn't damage it but left it open with the cap hanging and my tank lower. I don't know if any of those locking outer flaps are actually secure but that one wasn't.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I highly doubt they changed the gas tank. Seems like it would be an unnecessary and inconvenient update. I imagine the fitment guide just hasn't been updated to reflect the 2020. The 2nd one actually does include the 2020 in name at least

Something like this with a stainless cam lock is a universal fix: Fuel Compartment Lock

·
Registered
355 Posts
Screwdrivers do happen to be keys for most things. It's honestly probably better if the lock is opened after the screwdriver gets jammed in there, because it's going to mess up the tumblers. Locksmiths use a similar technique with a fancier 'screwdriver'

·
Registered
53 Posts
I highly doubt they changed the gas tank. Seems like it would be an unnecessary and inconvenient update. I imagine the fitment guide just hasn't been updated to reflect the 2020. The 2nd one actually does include the 2020 in name at least

Something like this with a stainless cam lock is a universal fix: Fuel Compartment Lock
OMG you found one! The second one not only shows 2020 but also Promaster 1500. Not sure why it never showed up for me?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the link. i'm going to install both the locking cap and the locking gas cover. I rarely fill my tank up so i doubt it will be a hassle to deal with two locks.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
I bought the green locking one as in Mexico they pump the fuel for you and I want to be sure they have the right nozzle for diesel and that the pump reads zero when they start. It is a pain and I have it off now as I won’t be down there for months.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts