Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 PM has had an intermittent clutch/trans problem that the dealer can neither diagnose nor fix.

I have finally been offered a buyback with terms that I can accept. There are a lot of details involved, but I will essentially get a new van for no additional $.

Thing is, I can't find one, and the regional rep that I'm dealing with isn't able to effectively communicate. Not trying to throw this individual under the bus, as they have a full plate and my situation is but one morsel on said plate.

Ideally I'd get a 2018 diesel, but no one can give me an ETA, which means it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

2017 diesels effectively don't exist since so few were built.

Which takes us back to 2016 models. If I could find a new one, on a dealer lot, I'd happily go that route. The searches that I've done via the official Ram site, as well as Autotrader, Carfax, Car Gurus, etc... aren't really helpful.

Does anyone know of a place to go to see national inventory? Some sort of searchable database?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was told when I was looking that the diesel option was put on hold due to the emissions software issues. The salesman said demand for diesels have dropped way off and he did not think the diesel option would come back. Of course he was trying to sell what he had on the lot so maybe he was saying that to get a sale? He also said that there were no diesels available in the system.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
I have to say, PERSONALLY, I wouldn’t ever even consider the diesel. The engine is fine, the electronics and emissions are not ready for prime time and the tranny reminds me of driving my old Model T! ;)

But, then again, that’s only my personal opinion and worth just as much as you paid for it.>:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try Larry H Miller Dodge Ram in Salt Lake.I just bought a New 2017 yesterday,and they had a big inventory

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to say, PERSONALLY, I wouldn’t ever even consider the diesel. The engine is fine, the electronics and emissions are not ready for prime time and the tranny reminds me of driving my old Model T! ;)

But, then again, that’s only my personal opinion and worth just as much as you paid for it.>:D

Wow, such a helpful response...

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Opinions matter - even yours.

You might not like or agree with my opinion but then it goes both ways. If you are to narrow mined to accept that other people’s opinions that differ from yours shouldn’t be expressed, that is your problem not ours!

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opinions matter - even yours.

You might not like or agree with my opinion but then it goes both ways. If you are to narrow mined to accept that other people’s opinions that differ from yours shouldn’t be expressed, that is your problem not ours!

If you cannot recognize that a simple question was asked, and your stated opinion had nothing to do addressing that question, then that says a lot more about you than I.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Well, mikesee

Perhaps if you had taken a second to actually think about my reply and thought about the reason for it, instead of taking anything I said personally and having your feelings hurt, you would have realized I was simply trying to encourage you to share with us your reasons for wanting another one after so many problems with your present one.

I specifically said I was presenting my personal opinion. The fact that many (most) of your complaints and problems you have shared with us here are diesel emissions and semi-automatic related should be more than enough to encourage deeper discussions on the matter. While some people have had very good luck with their diesel Promasters you, particularly, seem to have had nothing but nightmares yet you are still looking for another one. I’m sure you have what you consider very valid reasons for this decision and I’m doubly positive many of us here would like to know the reasoning why. It’s not too much to expect a straight answer from you that also may help others trying to make a similar decision.

Helping someone is a lot more involved than not ever questioning them about their decisions, it’s presenting them with diverse, opposing opinions that may encourage them to think a bit deeper. You obvious don’t seem to think that way and that is your privilege.

I have certainly been responsible for helping many more members on this forum in the three years of its existence than you ever have in your one year here and I shall continue to do so in the future with or without your support.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't get my "feelings hurt". I got annoyed that you chose to take this thread in a direction other than the one I intended.

That's it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I for one can understand why Mikesee would want another diesel. They just drive effortlessly down the road at highway speeds without the constant shifting of the gas PM. And the mileage, and the one fuel for driving and heating etc. It would hard to give that up.
There was a link for a 2017 diesel posted on the forum here for sale at a dealer in Medford OR a few days ago. Maybe it is still available.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I have to echo VanDiesel and if mine goes bad and BOTH the emissions and the shifter go NUTZ and I can't get them fixed I will be looking for another one!

KOV you have driven mine and you are overstating the shifter. I'd say more like a 1955 Chevy V8 (first year) with a three speed. LOL! You would love that combo too!

mikesee, keep us up on your searching. I would order one and wait the 4 months, get what I want, and have FCA let me run the intermittent problem one if possible. Then again I hate white as a vehicle color. Yea I know it’s only an opinion and good for squat and I am diverging here but like you and KOV I do this for fun and occasional help.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Actualy I had a 55 Chevy V8 with 3 on the tree and loved it. The Model T tranny was the ultimate solution in 1904 - just not so much today ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
Thanks to both RD & VanDiesel! Now we have something factual to discuss! The diesel tranny sucks at low speeds (my personal opinion based on my driving habits of mostly driving in stop and go traffic around town) and it’s fantastic (RD & VanDiesel’s opinion because of their driving habits of mostly highway cruising)!

This gives prospective Promaster buyer something to consider in advance.

Just to be fair, the gasser auto tranny also has its share of "love it" or "hate it" aficionados. If you live and drive in the mountains many people hate the automatic downshifting feature and are constantly complaint about it but if you are a flatlander (or semi-flatlander) it’s of no concern to you. I’m in the "no concern" camp here because I rarely drive in the mountains - another consideration for prospective buyers ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
The diesel tranny sucks at low speeds (my personal opinion based on my driving habits of mostly driving in stop and go traffic around town)

I would agree with this statement by KOV. I do not like driving it in town but most of my drives are highway and mountains so the diesel works great for me. if I drove mostly in town and in traffic I would go for the gas version.

Now let see if we can find Mikesee a new diesel!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts