Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } First off it was the brakes "squealing like a stuck pig" and there is no fix in sight so far.

The spare tire lift broke and was replaced.
It took over 6 months to get the part and have them install it.
I still do not like that it is hard to raise up and the fact that anyone can just lower and take the spare tire from the outside.

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } We also had to have them adjust the parking brake.
It was so high we could not exit the vehicle from the drivers seat with it applied.
Some idiot engineer (probably one of those right hand driving EU geeks) put it on the wrong side of the seat for left hand drive.

We got notice of a recall for water in the wiring that could cause any 1 of 300 issues listed but they will call when the parts are in to do it.
It's been over 6 months and no word yet.

The A/C cut out and they say they just replaced a fuse.
They fixed it in a couple hours on the first visit for the issue.

The latch on the drivers side rear door is not catching as it does not open far enough like the spring holding the catch lever arm had lost it's tension and the latch lever hits the latch bar and closes before it can catch the latch bar.
The dealer said 3 weeks ago that in about 7 days they will call when the part comes in.
Probably another 6 months or more wait.

I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The dealer loaned me a Promaster to move some furniture a couple of months ago. I did notice the rear door bottom latch would get stuck in the closed position and not allow the bottom of the door to catch on. Thought it was weird that it was a new van with such a stupid issue.

About 6 months ago, they loaned me a low roof version as I wanted to take it home and drive it around for a couple of days. The fit and finish were horrible in terms of body panel alignment and how the door edges protruded when shut. I figured the early vans were literally slapped together by Mexican crews that were just learning the product assembly.

For this reason, I am waiting for the dealer lots to clear of all the early inventory that has been sitting.

Regardless, I still think this is a great van and the kinks will get corrected. Hang in there and stay on top of them. They should get the parts in less than a week and not after months.

·
Registered
887 Posts
For this reason, I am waiting for the dealer lots to clear of all the early inventory that has been sitting.
The build dates are inside the drivers door jamb. No need to wait. You could find 9/14 build dates now.

My paint is good and doors fit and latch perfect. Slider latches super easy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and now the recirculate is stuck closed unless the fan is turned on, so no vent on the freeway.
I have yet to visit the dealer on this one but it does seem like there are a lot of issues already.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Oh, and now the recirculate is stuck closed unless the fan is turned on, so no vent on the freeway.
I have yet to visit the dealer on this one but it does seem like there are a lot of issues already.
Mine does the same thing, I think that is normal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The entire HVAC is off unless the fan is on. It doesn't do nothing, no heat, AC, vent...

·
Registered
34 Posts
No air movement with fan off on mine. The rear door latches was a hour project for me. had to remove the catches and drill out the holes large enough to adjust everything to line up and catch correctly. I first thought it was an issue with the mechanism being stuck in the closed position.... but it works fine now. When opening my slider it feels like it is unlatching at the very end of the range of movement of the handle making it feel as if at any moment it might not open especially if the cable loosens/stretches over time. I'm gonna get in there and see if I can adjust that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The vents let through plenty of fresh air in mine, with the fan off.
Mine doesn't either.. fan has to be on for any air to come out..and that bugs the crap out of me.. windows up or down.. any speed.. recirculation button pushed or not... same result.. nothing. .unless the fan is on

·
Registered
604 Posts
Makevx73..... do you have the shortest wheelbase van that does NOT have the rear bottom vents in the very back?
No vents in back.

I'll double check, but I'm quite sure I get some air without the fan on. Ya'll got me second guessing it now... Maybe the fan was on...:confused:

·
Registered
887 Posts
I like having the air not blow unless the fan is on.

That's the way all cars used to be.

Then one of the big three had bad smells coming from their ducts and consumer complaints and the whole industry went crazy making sure we couldn't stop air from flowing into the cabin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine vented with the system off just fine until last week, then it stopped venting, and I started venting!>:D

Too much tech makes for a weak system, just like in biology, the more complex a system is, the more likely something will go wrong with it.

That last bit sounded strange but, I'm sure you get what I mean.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine is perfectly still until the fan is turned on also. I had a hard time getting used to that. In Wisconsin there are a lot of days in summer when you don't need AC, but the solar gain will cook you if there isn't any air circulating through the cabin. The fan in the PM gives off a lot of wind noise by the time it is set high enough to thoroughly circulate. The Ford and Benz vans I've had circulated all the time keeping the cabin cool enough to not require running the AC, and you could barely hear that the system was doing anything. The Sprinters even have two "wind-jammer" vents on top of the dash to pull in extra outside air.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Mine is perfectly still until the fan is turned on also. I had a hard time getting used to that. In Wisconsin there are a lot of days in summer when you don't need AC, but the solar gain will cook you if there isn't any air circulating through the cabin. The fan in the PM gives off a lot of wind noise by the time it is set high enough to thoroughly circulate. The Ford and Benz vans I've had circulated all the time keeping the cabin cool enough to not require running the AC, and you could barely hear that the system was doing anything. The Sprinters even have two "wind-jammer" vents on top of the dash to pull in extra outside air.
The PM has the air intakes on the hood as well , so nice fresh out side temperature air. You just turn the fan on. The fan is quiet to me and forward speed the air increases even with the fan on low.
If you drive by a smelly farm or something you just turn the fan off and it
shuts everything down to keep the smelly air from coming in.
Open your hood and check it out:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'll double check, but I'm quite sure I get some air without the fan on. Ya'll got me second guessing it now... Maybe the fan was on...:confused:
Yep, I was wrong... Not a whisp of airflow with the fan off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The whole point of a vent was to let the pressure of the outside air push fresh air into the vehicle without the fan blowing.
To prevent "venting" from happening, you put it on recirculate and leave the fan off, then no air will flow.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Well, service sucks.

Took my Promaster to the dealer for various problems, they kept it for 2 days.

What they did:

1) change oil

2) put my winter tires on

3) Adjusted the driver's door that didn't close well

What they didn't do:

1) Didn't get the air conditioning fixed. Missing parts they said.

2) Didn't fix "Tire pressure sensor cannot be located". The warning signal is on most of the time, except, of course, the 2 days my PM was at the garage. I'll wait for the official recall to try to get it fixed.

3) Didn't fix the P32 recall (electrical system wire isolation). I forgot to mention that recall, but they told me that no other recalls were pending. Bull sh***t.

4) Didn't fix the pedal recall again. Last time I was at the garage for the recall, they said they didn't have the part, but I suspect they still charged Chrysler, since the recall is not mentioned anymore when I check on moparownerconnect.com.

5) I didn't mention to check the coolant level that seams pretty low to me, figuring they would when they changed the oil, but they obviously didn't.

Good thing I am retired, I suspect my PM's maintenance will be very occupational. ;)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts