Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a good add-on light for the cargo area? Maybe LED?

What comes on the van I have seems OK, but in the dead of winter it might be nice to brighten it up back there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had posted this in another thread that had cargo lighting discussion. I'm looking into the tape on led's. Come to find out, I know an electrician who has done this in his sprinter and I am going to pick his brain about it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002QQ48TK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=LED%20TAPE&qid=1354671857&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2[/ame]

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had posted this in another thread that had cargo lighting discussion. I'm looking into the tape on led's. Come to find out, I know an electrician who has done this in his sprinter and I am going to pick his brain about it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002QQ48TK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=LED TAPE&qid=1354671857&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
I am a electrical contractor. Let me know if I can help you with any questions. I bought led tape lights off amazon but never got around to hooking them up in my sprinter. Super easy tho. It's two wires. Just tap off existing lights. Or find constant 12 volts and add a switch. Any switch will do as long as it's rated for the amps but leds dont draw much so mostly any switch will do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I looked at one yesterday that had a couple of cargo lights installed already. I didnt really pay too much attention to them though. Are they not bright enough for illuminating the cargo area at night?

·
Registered
41 Posts
leds are the way to go

I installed on my 3500 PM 3 rows of led tape lights. Two I bought at a aftermarket shop for $30 one at Wallyworld the brighter the better. I tried to use the power block on the passenger side at the bottom of the b pillar(behind the plastic cover). Without a wiring diagram you can't just pick a constant 12volt it seems to do all kinds of weird things so I ran a lead right from the battery. The bummer about the stock lights is that when the door is open for a while they timeout and you cant turn them on again. The best for me was one above the front storage, one in the middle and one above the rear door. each has there own on/off switch.:cool:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If looking for a self-contained 12 Volt LED fixture, I'd check RV stores like Camping World or local RV supply retailer.

Many new RVs have gone to LED lighting so they can provide more and improved lighting without discharging the house battery as quickly. Most look very easy to install and have a switch built into fixture.

Camping World lists different sizes and styles. One, for instance, produces 350 lumens at 0.22 AMP draw. If I were installing in my van for camping I would probably consider at least four fixtures to better distribute lighting and reduce shadows. If for detail work inside a van I'd probably add some directly over work surface too. If some are not needed they can always be turned off separately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced the factory rear cargo area with LED, and installed another LED in the center of the cargo area. Pics and info are in my Photo Gallery.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I get all my led's from Superbrightleds.com
They have replacement led's for interior incandescents & tape strip led's & a ton of other stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts