Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we approach the 36,000-mile end of full warranty, our only niggle is intermittent operation of the right-hand license plate light. I assume bulbs themselves are not covered, and I don't want to pay $75 for someone to change a lightbulb, but given that this failure is intermittent, particularly when cold, we suspect wiring. Just changing the bulb ourselves may not answer the question. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
You will be better off with a new bulb as that is the default repair. A bit of dielectric grease on the bulb contacts (available at your auto parts store) might be a good preventative. If it isn’t the bulb it is likely to be the wiring right at the connector, either of which are diagnosable when you change the bulb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
lic plate lt-my brass tabs at the ends of bulb were loose [probably from too much door slamming],I bent them in to make better contact, easy peasy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
All I know is both my promasters have had the right side bulb out since almost new. One was replaced with something non-standard by the driver, and that one lasted a while but eventually blew also. I seem to recall he said stock it was some kind of oddball bulb. I've chosen to ignore the message on the dash as both vans have a working left side light.

Reactions: MsNomer

·
Registered
756 Posts
When I was soundproofing the back door set I noticed the plastic tag holder - which is merely a stylish EU to USA registration plate size adapter - slaps and rattled badly especially on door closing, that crack-of-the-whip motion could be contributing to the bulb filaments breaking.

IIRC I added foam gaskets, probably foam tape, to take up the slack in fitment of the various plastic bits. I also seem to remember the US license plate rang like a tuning fork so it got a 20-25% swath of the sound-damper on its back when I reinstalled it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
lic plate lt-my brass tabs at the ends of bulb were loose [probably from too much door slamming],I bent them in to make better contact, easy peasy
Same with mine. Bent the tabs in closer the put the bulb back in.. or tried to anyways.
It slipped from my dry fingertips and was lost into the abyss.
Be careful.Tie a string on it before you try putting in a bulb.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yes you really need a fuse puller type tool to place new license bulbs or you WILL lose them in the door. Dont even try it without finding something that will work. I use garbage ties and that worked but I had some luck too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts