Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone smarter than I am advise me on when to use the Tow Haul mode?

I'm carrying a decent load in the back and climb up about 2000' and then down again twice each day.

Is it best to use this mode when going uphill only? Or up and down? How about when just driving where there are no grade changes?

·
Registered
473 Posts
If your transmission keeps changing gears as you climb or descend then you should use the tow/haul mode. It will hold the gears longer and reduce heat generated from constant shifting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My two bits on tow/haul mode, is if the engine or transmission sounds or feels that it is shifting (down shifting or straining more often than normal with the load) to maintain speed up hill or on level road then use tow/haul mode all the time the load is pulled or in the cargo area. In the normal driving mode, As long as you don't hear the squirrels yelling Scotty's famous line "captain I'm giving her all Iv'e got; She can't take no more!" then I say don't worry about tow/haul mode. If you feel She (PM) is downshifting and straining a little more than you think then engage tow/haul mode a stay in that mode until the load has changed or the road grade is not as steep or strenuous on the system. My philosophy is to burn more fuel than to damage a motor and/or transmission.

A bit more: I have several hundred pounds of tools, and cabinets loaded in mine all the time. and have helped people move and had my cabinets and their furnishing both in the mix of weight and cargo. My PM drives fine (without strain) in normal mode. I have occasionally punched the tow/haul mode and driven in this mode just to make sure. I feel a difference in the rpm's and shift patterns; and can tell that if I had a trailer or more load it will come in handy, but I currently run in normal mode.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, 30 Ounce and Hitech.

What I notice is RPM changes as I climb a hill. I guess I will have to listen for the transmission shifting.

Going downhill I still don't like the way the engine brakes......seems like a huge efficiency loss. I wonder if the computer can be programmed to change this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts