Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to dealers,ome say I can get the high roof extended in the 2500 rather than the 3500,anybody know the answer? Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have not seen one (And I have looked). It would be nice if they offered it, because the change from 2500 to 3500 can make a difference for many in their insurance rates. I currently run a E-350 van and am forced to insure it under a commercial policy because of the weight rating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why its $3000 more for a PM3500 159" than a PM2500 159"?
According to the RAM website, the only difference is a rear sway bar. Sounds aweful expensive for a rear sway bar. IS something different in the trans/rear end? yet only $800 for for the EXT model ...???

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why its $3000 more for a PM3500 159" than a PM2500 159"?
According to the RAM website, the only difference is a rear sway bar. Sounds aweful expensive for a rear sway bar. IS something different in the trans/rear end? yet only $800 for for the EXT model ...???
GVWR for 2500 = 8,900#
GVWR for 3500 = 9,350#

Better suspension results in additional 430# Payload. 4010# vs. 4440#

·
Registered
114 Posts
GVWR for 2500 = 8,900#
GVWR for 3500 = 9,350#

Sure those are the right numbers but does anyone know what makes it "a better suspension"? Are there bigger better parts or just a better label on the 3500? My dealer and another one I asked gave me horrible answers when I tried to find out. I could have been up-sold to a 3500 if they had anything solid to tell me. I have not maxed out my 2500 and I like her a lot so I doubt I will come anywhere near that 4,000 lb mark.

·
Registered
23 Posts
GVWR for 2500 = 8,900#
GVWR for 3500 = 9,350#

From what im seeing on RAMs website, the reason youre getting an addl 430# payload is because you have a sway bar. sounds like their implying.. because the Swaybar makes the van more stable, it can safely take 430# more. Both the 2500 and 3500 vaguely list them having "heavy duty suspension". just says "with swaybar" on the 3500. Seeing they all have the same towing capacity, i bet they all have the same transmissions and same gear ratios.
Again i ask--whats justifies the extra 3000 for a 3500 series????

·
Registered
23 Posts
And at $800 more for the EXT version of a 3500PM, i feel like im paying $3800 more simply to get 16-18 inches...and that theres really NO difference between the 2500 and 3500. I may be able to justify those numbers if it had a beefier trans or longer warranty or free commercial maintenance for a couple years...something more than a swaybar that cost them a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I inquired about this with the commercial sales manager when I ordered mine. I was initially wavering back and forth between a 1500 and a 2500 136" high roof. He claimed that they were identical vehicles and that Chrysler just had to pay a greater fee to the government to produce a higher GVWR truck. So initially he said I wouldn't notice any difference between the two. I was skeptical and said "so then the part numbers on the leaf springs should be exactly the same?" He said yes. He then checked into it in the parts system and quickly came back and said he misspoke. It seems there is actually a difference between the suspension components. That's not to say that the massive difference between a 2500 and a 3500 is justifiable. Back in the day when a 3/4 or 1 ton truck got bigger brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, and drive line components, it would have been well worth the difference. After measuring the length of the vans, I decided that I would need a 159" to be able to mount an interior pipe rack like I wanted to. With the longer wheel base decided on, I had to pick between a 2500 and a 3500. I quickly decided that slightly heavier springs and a sway bar are not worth $3000. That's how I ended up in a 2500.

·
Registered
23 Posts
" Back in the day when a 3/4 or 1 ton truck got bigger brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, and drive line components, it would have been well worth the difference."----

exactly what i'm sayin'.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Have you driven both? Have the dealer add weight to both a 2500 and a 3500 159 standard length and see for yourself (commercial dealers will do that). I drove all wheelbases and lengths before deciding. The 3500 suspension was a noticeable improvement over the 2500. Enough to sway my decision. I have a 3500 159 standard length. My plans are for an RV conversion so I need it to be solid after adding cabinets, batteries, tanks, etc. One of the first upgrades guys with converted Sprinters make is better shocks and a sway bar.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you driven both? Have the dealer add weight to both a 2500 and a 3500 159 standard length and see for yourself (commercial dealers will do that). I drove all wheelbases and lengths before deciding. The 3500 suspension was a noticeable improvement over the 2500. Enough to sway my decision. I have a 3500 159 standard length. My plans are for an RV conversion so I need it to be solid after adding cabinets, batteries, tanks, etc. One of the first upgrades guys with converted Sprinters make is better shocks and a sway bar.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I would agree that there certainly are applications that would warrant a 3500. There are even a couple guys on here that are looking to further beef up their 3500s. If I was using my PM like my Sprinter at work, I too would need the heaviest suspension available. I was merely saying that for the amount of weight I intend to haul the 2500 has plenty of suspension. I feel sorry for the people who have to spend the extra $ on the 3500 because there is no good justification for the $3000 price tag of that option.

·
Registered
804 Posts
As far as i can tell, there is zero differece between the 2500 and 3500 except the extended option. The rating charts ive seen support this. If you dont need the extended, i see no reason whatsoever to get the 3500.

Look at it like this - you can get a pretty fancy swaybar for $3000. In fact, bring it to my house, give me $3000, and i'll put MY swaybar on yours!

Seriously, for $3000 you could probably buy dual rear wheels, snow tires, air suspension, fuzzy dice, heated seats, shag carpeting, and a waterbed and still have money left over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I kinda figured that was the only difference. too bad they don't have a 2500 EXT..RAM can keep their $3000 sway bar. it looks like its going to boil down to which van has the options I want. if I found a 2500 with duall sliders, diesel and back up camera..i'd likely go that route. the only ones im finding with a dual slider are 3500's. the extra space in the back would be nice though.. sigh...decisions decisions...

·
Registered
513 Posts
the extra space in the back would be nice though.. sigh...decisions decisions...
Are you going to almost always need that extra space, or just of certain trips or tasks?

A 2500 159" high roof starts at $33,110.00. If you want the Extended, you have to go up to the 3500 and the 3500 Extended starts at $36,835. That's a difference of $3,725.00 . If you only need the space from time to time, you can buy a nice trailer for $3,725 or rent a U-haul about 600 times.

I'm thinking like you are. I'd like the extra room of the Extended, but am not willing to pay almost $4,000 for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts