Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much gave up on getting a deal on a "Leftover 2014 ProMaster" after finding one last Fall.

To my amazement may have just found another. What's likely to be wrong with a ProMaster that has been sitting over 2 years? Wonder how it would be guaranteed?

Reviewed some older discussions citing 20%-30% discounts & claims of $6K-$9 off stickers, not necessarily for leftovers.

What would be a great price on a "Leftover 2014 ProMaster" 1500, low roof, 136", gas, well equipped? Sticker is supposed to be $32,500.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Hi,

I bought my 2014 Promaster in August of last year. It sat on the lot for over a year.

It is a 136" high-top with cloth bench and driver's bucket, partition, upfit interface option, cargo floor mat, power folding heated mirrors and Uconnect 5.0 stereo with steering wheel controls and voice command--$28K before tax and registration. I would think that a low roof with the same options and sitting around for an additional 7 months would go for $26K.

Issues were;

Needed new battery
Needed new door speakers
Minor dent/scratch repair

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I got 13% off on a new order 2015. It would have to be more than that by a lot for me to take it especially because it is nearly a three model year van (2017's go into production in 3 months) and someday I might want resale. I'd look at it if it was UNDER $25k which is about 24% and I planned to keep it a looooonnnngg time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was thinking battery might be toast, also concerned tires might have taken a set, if it hadn't been moved regularly & brake rotors might have rusted where exposed. Worry about old gasohol in system.

Wonder what happens to 5 year/100,000 mile warranty?

It's apparently available, but asked for Window Sticker & got a homemade list of equipment.

Also sounds like a lack luster deal at $27,500 - Especially b/c paperwork will have to be handled by 3rd party.

Suspect it could turn into a hassle w/o local, selling, dealer support.

·
Registered
55 Posts
with a experience in the car sales industry, I would suggest it be treated no differently then a low mileage excellent condition used vehicle. Remember the value is what it is because of the year, unless you can pay what you would for it used, back away.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With your "experience in the car sales industry" & interest in ProMaster, what value would you place on a loaded, NOS, 2014 ProMaster 1500, low roof, gas, 136" van?

Found ads for '14 w/43K for $17,900 - then a '15 w/22K for $23,998 - then a '16 w/12K for $22,999. None loaded, all 3 white plain janes.

Also got Window Sticker & photos. Looks fine. Only missing tow package & parcel shelf. Presume both are EZ to get from dealer? Told it will be guaranteed as new 5 year/100,000 miles & can be PDIed at nearby dealer.

They seem eager to unload it & are working on their lack luster, discounted, leftover price.

Hope they offer a great deal that reflects sacrifice. Sticker is $33,050 so 25% off would place it just below $25,000.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
Don't assume you can just add the shelf. If you really want it, have them install as part of the deal, if possible. Headliner could be different with/without.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would have them do every service bulletin item before I would take delivery...there's alot of them! I would try for 10k off sticker.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, will grille them about "every service bulletin" & recall notice out for 2014 model - Know there's been a lot of them. Have already explained the issue of not having a local BusinessLink Ram Truck dealer.

Think parcel shelf IS an entirely different, purpose built, front headliner section. Probably unavailable & prohibitively expensive?

And "10K off sticker" would get me out on the road after this leftover ProMaster. 25% off would be over $8,000 & drop price below $25,000.

They failed to get back to me this afternoon, as promised, whole thing may go poof? Will see.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I have the parcel tray above the windshield and I doubt it is a different headliner. Mine looks like it was attached to the roof structure in places the sunvisors were and in the middle to where the lights were. I have never taken any of it off so I am just guessing. Wouldn't the parts list show you?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got my leftover 14 last sept. Got 7K$ off the sticker. It had 500 demo miles on it. Battery was fine. Drove great. Brakes squeal a bit. Eventually needed the new radiator at about 5k miles. Very happy with it. On the good side, my city only values it at $19k for tax purposes. We get re-taxed every year on all our vehicles in Va. There are some advantages to that fast depreciation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'd check the "parts list" if I had a "parts list" to check. However you "have the parcel tray above the windshield" and are left "guessing".

I'm not sure that the "parcel tray" for a "HT" is the same as one for a low roof?

I have the parcel tray above the windshield and I doubt it is a different headliner. Mine looks like it was attached to the roof structure in places the sunvisors were and in the middle to where the lights were. I have never taken any of it off so I am just guessing. Wouldn't the parts list show you?
Have never seen the ProMaster overhead storage shelf in person. From brochure photos of high roof interior its confusing. They show 2 overhead storage shelves. One appears as you describe, as if it were a low roof. Looks like a hard plastic shelf, slightly bowed down at center. The 2nd is a much larger compartment above what appears to be a low roof, cab length, headliner - It fills a space between low roof & high roof. Has its own support structure at B pillar. It's looks almost big enough for a small child to use as a sleeper.

My E-Series has an overhead do hicky that's got compass/temp display & small compartments for sunglasses & garage door opener. It requires its own specialized cab headliner section. Similarly the van has a video system w/two overhead screens requiring its own specialized rear headliner just to nestle the screens.

You raise another question by posting "attached to the roof structure in places the sunvisors were"? Does the overhead storage shelf eliminate the sunvisors? And what do you mean by "where the lights were"? Are overhead "lights" also eliminated?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No annual tax on vehicles here in FL, just 6.5% sales tax on purchase price.

There are some advantages top that fast depreciation.
However I expect insurance rate, especially collision coverage, will be considerably less on leftover 2014.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a high roof to drive while my low roof was getting warranty work and the overhead consoles were identical inside if that helps you.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Yes a small child can fit up there! The lowered section of the high roof is the structure the parcel self attaches to and the visors are refitted to the parcel shelf. The shelf has attaching points into the lowered structure not into the roof framing itself. Sorry if I misled. The center lights are relocated to the parcel shelf too. I think the lights and visors are the same.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Say what?.... "The lowered section of the high roof is the structure the parcel self attaches to"?

Will have to look at high roof models, have ignored them.

Was inquiring exclusively about the low roof overhead shelf. Presume it's an EZ to install accessory.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally heard back & they moved from $5000 off sticker, to $5000 off invoice, which drops price to $26,338. Out the door for $28,588. Sounds better, but not a great deal on a loaded leftover 2014. Especially considering there'll be no local dealer support. We didn't address the question of service bulletins & recalls.

Was thinking $23,000 - $25,000 tops.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup! Just reviewed a lot of the old posts on ProMaster discounts & it made me realize just how lack luster the revised price on leftover 2014 really is. Presume most buyers are getting that kind of discount on 2016 ProMasters - With full dealer support.

Feel like 15%-20% off sticker on 2016 is pretty much SOP. Some have reported more off, even on special orders.

Figure another 15%-20% should come off for it being a leftover leftover. They didn't give me the build date.

Did the math. At just 15% haggle on 2016, and another 15% haggle on 2 year old leftover, it should be down around $23,878.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the information. Emailed an offer $9,000 off sticker price. Will see what happens.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts