Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TIL that the mechanism that keeps the door from swinging over 90 degrees is called a "door check". Today I opened the rear door past 90 degrees to unload stuff. When I closed it the sliding rod containing the pin that engages with the part of the check mounted to the body would not engage the slot. No amount of fiddling helped. Weird. Anyone else seen this?

I suppose I could buy a new door check, which apparently comes with the sliding rod.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Do you still have both top and bottom outside screws......i have had to replace the bottom one and tighten the top

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you still have both top and bottom outside screws......i have had to replace the bottom one and tighten the top

can you tell us what you did, If I have something that maybe coming loose and I can prevent I problem I would love to know what to check. thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well....my screws came off or were loose.....when I first bought van the shaft did not hold door at 90 degrees....technician had to pull that shaft til it clicked to reset

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have recently started having this same problem. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to get the dang thing to reengage. You have to grab the part that sticks out of the door and pull HARD until it snaps in place. Not just until you feel resistance, but just past that, when it pops. Then, you should be able to close the door like normal and have it engage.

The problem started for me when I think I might have pushed the yellow tab to release it before I had gotten the door to "pop" at 90 degrees.

It seems like it happens more often than not now, and I think the catch might be mushroomed a little. I pop the door open at 90 degrees, then push the yellow part to open the door wider, and when I close the door, the jaws don't engage the part that comes from the door. It looks like the jaws might have a little deformation on the ends. I am considering getting my angle grinder or a file and just rounding the tips of the jaws just a bit, in the hopes that it will work properly again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have recently started having this same problem. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to get the dang thing to reengage. You have to grab the part that sticks out of the door and pull HARD until it snaps in place. Not just until you feel resistance, but just past that, when it pops. Then, you should be able to close the door like normal and have it engage..
Thanks heaps! It did the trick.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the same problem with both of my back doors when I first got my van. After fiddling for hours I took it to the dealership. The estimate was like $160 and I was pleasantly surprised when they called to say they had fixed it an hour or so later and were only charging me $79. Then I found out that all they did was give the metal rod a hard yank and I was kinda pissed that they charged me anything at all. My left door still won't reengage by itself when closing the door. I have to push it in with my thumb as I close it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well seems I have a similar problem. The left rear door check arm is gone (2016 PC).
Just popped out and needs replaced. Is this possible or will need to buy entire assembly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buying the whole door check assembly is easy, about $45 online for the Promaster City. Removing the part from the door is the issue. In the rear cargo door on the driver's side, the license plate holder assembly is in the way, so you can't wriggle the piece out to replace it. Anyone know how to get that assembly to pop out of the door? I have all of the flange nuts off, but I suspect there is an adhesive seal that is holding it in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts