Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the LED replacement lights are compatible with the "burnt out light monitor"?

If i replace the License Plate bulbs (or tail, turn signal, back up) with LEDs, will I end up with the burnt out light warning light on the dash.

Asked the dealer and they didn't know.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Search the archives here. I know some people have had this happen to them but I can't remember how or if they fixed it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched first. Couldn't find anything about anyone replacing anything except the headlights with LED's. Either there is no problem, or no one has done it. Not sure which.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
I'm pretty sure someone tried this and the light wouldn't go out. Maybe they will respond to you. You could just buy one bulb and try it.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,520 Posts
Buy bulbs designed for CAN-bus. They put a small resistor across the LED to look like the same resistance as the incandescent it is replacing, so the monitor will not be triggered. Sylvania advertises them as "Can-bus Error Free LED bulbs"

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
When the CAN bus bulbs are installed does the resistor then cause the bulb to use as much current as a normal bulb? If so one of the advantages of an LED is lost and I’d probably not go through the trouble.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,520 Posts
When the CAN bus bulbs are installed does the resistor then cause the bulb to use as much current as a normal bulb?
Yep!

But, you benefit by having a cooler running, often brighter, instantly on and off light! >:D

On the vehicle lighting system, no one cares about the extra "wasted" current. Running LEDs off your Aux battery system DOES save electricity because they use much less electricity.

Just don't use CAN-bus Error free bulbs for your Aux battery lighting needs!;)

ed

·
Registered
130 Posts
I tried two types of Canbus error-free LEDs in the back and they both are causing the bulb out warning. These PM electrical systems are sure finicky. Going back to standard bulbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a pdf regarding the bulb out detection on the ProMaster. I used this on mine after swapping out many of the bulb with LEDs. It got rid of the annoying error bulb out messages.

If you wish to use LEDs to replace the rear lighting on ProMaster CHASSIES built after 5/15/15, The BCM software can be configured to disable the bulb out detection. (BOD) There are three methods for disabling BOD. They are listed below.
• Vehicle can be built from factory with BOD disabled by ordering sales code LB6
• BOD can be disabled by dealer with dealer installed sales code 5QP. After 5QP is added, the
BCM Proxi must be reconfigured.
• BOD can be disabled by customer/up fitter by performing the following “Chicken Dance.”
All
steps must be performed within 30 seconds. BOD can be re-enabled by repeating the steps.
– KeyON
– Check for Turn Signals OFF
– Brake Pedal Pressed
– Shift Transmission to Reverse
– Pull High Beam Stalk for >10s
– Release High Beam Stalk
– Release Brake Pedal
– Shift transmission to park/neutral

If you wish to use LEDs to replace the rear lighting on a ProMaster CHASSIES built 5/15/15 and earlier, Power resistors must be used in order to eliminate bulb out detection faults.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Just tried these "error-free" LEDs and got the dreaded bulb out warning. Anyone found a super-bright LED backup bulb that PMs will tolerate?
[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075T1SQXL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,520 Posts
I've had success with Sylvania brand error-free bulbs for other bulbs...Walmart has 'em, I think.

or, they also sell resistors that you wire to the socket...it provides the required load, so you can use regular LEDs

or, connect a relay to the backup light circuit and use the switch contacts to turn on some auxiliary backup lighting. That's on my to-do list... backup lights on the PM are not bright enuf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts