Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a 30" LED off road light bar in the grill just above the license plate of the van triggered by the high beams on the stalk so I wouldn't have any extra switches on the dash. it works great on vacant roads, but if a vehicle approaches and you turn them (high beams/light bar) off, the lights are so bright that it makes you second guess that your low beams are even on at all.
The install took about 5.5 hrs from opening the light, creating my mounts and wiring to having the van all put back together

pictures of install can be viewed at;
https://www.facebook.com/Platypus-campervan-541990215960219/

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice! I wish there was a push/bully bar available for these things. I know there is a European version of a push bar, but it's way to bulky.
There are a half dozen different bull bars available for the Promaster from European suppliers. Some are quite bulky while others are very sedate and simple. There was a thread on here a few month ago with pictures of the various ones out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice. This is exactly what I was looking for. To see if someone actually did this yet. Hmm. . 5 hrs though =(
I think our US grills are much different. We would probably have to do a hood mount or a above windshield mount.

I think the LED light top of windshield mount would look pretty trick but then I'd have to find a way to remove and cap off all of those amber lights first....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is on a promaster with a Citroen grill. And timeframe could be probably as fast as 2-2.5hrs but that's if you didn't have to research wire diagrams like me and if you weren't exploring every possible route for running wires.... I also fought with the headlight for a while before just removing it for access to the firewall and I tend to over research before cutting or drilling holes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just finished up installing a light bar in this same area and though I would post as there doesn't seem to be much information about this type of up-fit out there.

2020 Promaster / Pleasure Way Tofino

Just like Rhino I found a single row light bar that fit perfect in the opening just below the grille. The only mods I made were cutting off the vertical plastic pieces in that opening and cutting some small notches for the mounting bolts.
Other than that everything was pretty easy and straight forward. There is a frame bar right there that the light mounts directly too which I had to drill a few holes in as well, but the wire-harness I got simply needed to be connected to the battery and switch ran to the cab. It came with everything included and assembled. I was able to run the switch through the factory wire-harness grommet, and then install in the dash left of the steering wheel just above the little storage cubby (easy access to click on and off).

We do a bunch of driving at night over mountain-pass roads and the bar is a MASSIVE upgrade on light quality compared to the stock lights. Plus everything fits nice so I was able to keep a clean stock look.

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
538 Posts
Agentwomack What light bar did you buy?

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
390 Posts
It's on the firewall right behind or near the driver side headlight. Just open up your hood and you should able to trace it.

·
Registered
2019 PM 1500 136" Low White Tow Nav Park
60 Posts
From the inside (or under hood), follow the hood release cable to the firewall. You should be able to see the spare rubber grommet that you can then pierce with an awl, working from hood side. Then poke a solid wire thru and use as a fishtape.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
I like the high beam trigger setup that rhino used, but I would suggest a switch inline with the trigger to allow the light bar to be switched off for regular road use in populated (and policed) areas!

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
538 Posts
Agentwomack
Ordered up the same light from Amazon. When I set in place like you did it is right up against the center upright bar and also seems to block the long cylindrical cooler.
Did you just set it against the upright or did you modify it. The light bar just doesnt seem recessed enough. although it looks good in your photo.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
380 Posts
Consider taking the end caps off those light bars and silicon-ing them back on. That is the weak spot on the cheaper versions, the rest of the light is sealed pretty good. Once water gets in they are done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Just finished up installing a light bar in this same area and though I would post as there doesn't seem to be much information about this type of up-fit out there.

2020 Promaster / Pleasure Way Tofino

Just like Rhino I found a single row light bar that fit perfect in the opening just below the grille. The only mods I made were cutting off the vertical plastic pieces in that opening and cutting some small notches for the mounting bolts.
Other than that everything was pretty easy and straight forward. There is a frame bar right there that the light mounts directly too which I had to drill a few holes in as well, but the wire-harness I got simply needed to be connected to the battery and switch ran to the cab. It came with everything included and assembled. I was able to run the switch through the factory wire-harness grommet, and then install in the dash left of the steering wheel just above the little storage cubby (easy access to click on and off).

We do a bunch of driving at night over mountain-pass roads and the bar is a MASSIVE upgrade on light quality compared to the stock lights. Plus everything fits nice so I was able to keep a clean stock look.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 70658

View attachment 70661

View attachment 70662
Could you please share a picture of the switch to see where your on/off cable comes out, please? I have basically the same light system that I am trying to install. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts