Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water is pooling in between the ribs of my Promaster roof between the fan and where you would put a sunroof it looks like? How can I solve this issue? If I keep building it up would that fix the run off issue? Anybody run into this before?

I'm planning on removing the flex tape I installed this winter as it was just a quick fix and I didn't install it very good... so I'm open to all ideas but I need a solution that actually fixes the problem.

The picture is highlighting the corner where it leaks.

Backstory if it helps
When there is heavy rain, our roof leaks... barely... but it leaks which is annoying. I tried doing some quick patch work when I was on the road with some flex tape this winter, and it stopped the leaking by ~90%. Now that I am parked and in a place to fix the issue I need some guidance. I looks as though the water isn't running off properly because of where I placed the fan. It pools up and I believe it gets so high it goes over the seal. My wife and I live in this van so of course I want it to not leak period. Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Had a similar issue, I resealed the vent and it stopped. The seal looked good at first glance but it was not.

The water is not likely pooling enough to enter above where the vent should be sealed. (the screw openings should have also been sealed) The water would go over the top of the rib before it gets high enough. I would guess that the water is coming from the rib to the left of the one holding all the water if it is leaking in that corner, but my advice is to properly seal the whole thing if you can.

I can't tell what the seal looks like from the tape, but a visual inspection means nothing if it is leaking. If it leaks it isn't bad no matter how good it looks. It doesn't take much of a gap for water to enter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know how hard its get your ceiling off and dry/ replace wet item, you dont want mold to grow in your roof. but i will pull it off and redo the seal.
You will need to get: butyl tape(3/4" wide), roof flashing tape(alu back with tar materiel) and lap sealant. all of those is extra insurance. i will seal the roof gap between the fan and roof with butyl tape, then put roof flashing tape on top of whole thing then finish it off all the seams with lap sealant.
You should able to get all those from rv store and probably takes 4 hours if you take your time sealing it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Might try just getting all that tape off, clean and dry it good then use Dicor Self-Leveling or Dicor Non-Sag over the screw heads and around the lap joint like @GaryBIS did in the image below from this post:

This approach essentially ignores the seal between the flange and the roof -- but people seem to have good success with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used butyl tape in the lower areas, and one full layer under the flange. Once it was all screwed down tight, I used dicor self-leveling sealant over the flange, screw heads, and any exposed butyl. No leaks. This is typically how they are done on most all RV roofs and I have never had an issue on any RV I have owned.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Unpopular opinion: Butyl tape sucks.

. . . if the butyl tape is doing such a good job, why the additional sealer? Well, I do not think that butyl tape is a very good solution. I think it is cheap and that is why it became standard on the cheap RVs of old. Butyl is lame because it does not have strength in tension (like a glue) and also does not have compliance to spring back into position if something flexes.
Here is how I did it without any butyl tape:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Whatever is the opinion on the butyl tape, just use all three product to cover all your bases. I like butyl tape because they remain tacky. Its true they don't spring back but that is assuming you only put it on one surface. With two surface sandwich it, it will stick to both surface and remain pliable. Once sealant set, it doesn't stay tacky anymore. I seem plenty of bathroom sealant come off from the surface. In the end, i rather have few different type of sealant to seal it cause they all have their pro and cons and I rather not rely on one type of sealant.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,965 Posts
Now that you have knelt on your roof without a bridging board under your knees, check all your van seams for hairline cracks. I used Eternabond tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts