Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Has anyone other PM owner had any oil leaks yet? Yesterday my vans check engine light came on and soon after the oil warning light. I pulled over and checked the level and found it was 3 quarts low. Had a look underneath and found everything was soaked in oil. I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I also noticed that my coolant level was well below the min mark. I wonder if the two are related?
It went into the shop today. Haven't heard anything yet.

I used the business link loaner car thing today. They make it very easy to do. Just reserved a van at enterprise and the dealer gave me a slip to give them. Thats it. The rental I got is a ford E-series van. Man, what a terrible ride this thing is! Makes me really appreciate my PM. I need ear protection driving this thing around.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used The rental I got is a ford E-series van. Man, what a terrible ride this thing is! Makes me really appreciate my PM. I need ear protection driving this thing around.
Might ride more like a truck, but I bet you won't find it dumping 3 quarts of oil or anti freeze. :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just a guess - check the cap on the oil filter housing. Very easy to forget the rubber oring, causing a leak there, which would soak the engine with oil wedding-cake-chocolate-fondue-fountain style!

The low coolant is another issue. Search this board for"coolant leak found".

·
Registered
473 Posts
Might ride more like a truck, but I bet you won't find it dumping 3 quarts of oil or anti freeze. :D
But you might find the transmission there! The last Ford I owned went thru 4 transmissions in 90K miles! The first one Ford paid for and the last 3 I did. I will NEVER buy a Ford product again. Cost me $4G's a pop and they would break right after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Was the oil leak and coolant leak related to the oil cooler/warmer ? Others have had issues with oil leaks, not sure if the cooler leaks coolant as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes coolant can leak from the oil cooler or adapter as they call it. The oil coolers usually go bad at the sensor fitting and oil runs down between the cylinder heads onto the tranny then all over the underside. But there are lots of more common antifreeze leaks all over these engines and I’ll bet the coolant came from somewhere besides the oil cooler.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No oil leaks on mine, but I have had the transmission pan seal redone twice for a slow leak(Under warranty both times).

·
Registered
372 Posts
that’s wierd since they are glued on really well and there is no gasket. I wonder what caused the leak.
I'm not certain, but the leaks appeared minor both times. I had it redone out of an abundance of caution as without a dip stick, I had no way of knowing how much fluid I was losing. After the last change I checked the level using the oil stick, and now have a baseline to check the transmission fluid level using the same stick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts