Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the PMC's (6) at the local dealership's website and since Sept 1st they are no longer listed. I finally stopped by to ask why and was told "they are under a recall and therefore they can't be sold until they are fixed."
The salesman says it is a "simple software fix for the transmission". So has anybody gotten a recall notice?
I've been looking at new PMC's and previous rental's that are about 8 grand less.
Any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
BikeGuy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a 2016 LR gas 136 WB in late August and havent gotten any recall notice. No recalls at all that i could find for my vehicle. Also i found my van thru an ebay classified ad and that dealer still has ads posted for others.

$4500 rebates on 2016s in the SouthEast now so seeing prices > $6000 under sticker, mid $20k for a gasser. Hard to consider a used van with those kind of new prices.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I took this from a previous thread regarding the recalls:

THE TRAILER TOW LIGHTING CONTROL MODULE MAY MALFUNCTION DUE TO A SOFTWARE ERROR. THIS COULD RESULT IN INOPERATIVE TRAILER BRAKE LIGHTS. TOWING A TRAILER WITH INOPERATIVE BRAKE LIGHTS COULD CAUSE A CRASH.

THE CAN-C BUS COMMUNICATION CONNECTOR MAY DEVELOP INTERNAL CONNECTOR PIN CORROSION DUE TO MOISTURE. CORRODED CAN-C BUS COMMUNICATION CONNECTOR PIN(S) COULD LEAD TO A LOSS OF ELECTRICAL CONTACT AND/OR A LOSS OF COMMUNICATION TO THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM). A LOSS OF COMMUNICATION TO THE TCM COULD CAUSE THE TRANSMISSION TO PERFORM AN UNREQUESTED SHIFT INTO NEUTRAL. THE VEHICLE OPERATOR WOULD BE UNABLE TO REENGAGE THE TRANSMISSION. THIS COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

According to my service department, the replacement connector is in short supply, so FCA is currently allotting them out to areas. Directions to them is if the part is in good condition and doesn't need to be replaced, then to just proceed with the relocation of the connector.

I had the recalls done on my 2015 PMC...did not need to replace the CAN-C BUS Connector as it was still in good condition, service dept. just simply relocated it.
didn't need the other recall, as I do not have a tow hitch, and then they did some required flashes to the vehicle software. Other than the fact that 1) the tech working on my PMC didn't close my hood all the way and, 2) he didn't tighten down the positive battery terminal, leading to me dying out in the middle of traffic....:mad: !!!
I grow more and more disenchanted with my service department after every visit...
Other than that, my PMC is awesome!!!

Reactions: BikeGuy

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
557 Posts
Transmission oil pump recall, trailer package recall, spare tire recall

Finally had all done on Friday. After 7 dealers, thousands of dollars of downtime, etc. Dealers wanting to keep the vehicle for up to two weeks before they even could get to it. Also, watch out for crazy warning light malfunctions and intermittent power loss and no start due to the PCM wiring harness being melted where it routes around the manifold.

Chrysler has a very appealing product in the Promaster 3500 EWB High Roof but they don't have a very appealing after sale/warranty attitude.

This is the 3rd major issue on this vehicle in 4 months. Ohio lemon Law will prevail on the fourth within 12 months according to the lemon law attorney I had to consult to get the Safety recalls performed. The next one, they get their crap back with a 14 x 14 hole in the top.

Mind you, I am only talking about safety recalls, not customer satisfaction issues.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
557 Posts
List or Safety Recalls for my 2016 Promaster 3500 LWB High Roof

S44 - Transaxle Oil Pump
S29 - Trailer Tow Lighting Control Module
S17 - Spare Tire Carrier Owner Update

Also watch out for intermittent loss of power and complete intermittent inability to start do to the the PCM wiring harness routed to close to the manifold resulting in a fire in the engine compartment.

Also be aware that even though you purchased the 100K warranty, Chrysler balks on giving you a loaner.

Shall I go on describing our experience with Chrysler corporate and their dealers? Consult your state's lemon laws but do not mention anything about an attorney until you consult with a lemon law attorney. In most states, after 4 issues within 12 months, the lemon law attorneys will take on your case at no fee to you. You could be awarded liquidated damages for expenses.

Such a hassle but that is Chrysler's apparent way of handling issues. Love the van though, just wish they would take responsibility for what they engineered and built.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine had a recall on some connector to the transmission that could potentially corrode. They said the transmission could shift into neutral at any time, and I would not be able to shift it into any other setting. It took the dealer a couple of days to fix. No big deal now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm giving my local service department a shot with the CAN-C and tow hitch issue (along with the distorted rear camera, USB plug and connectivity issue, and grinding breaks). I haven't used the service department (and have been reluctant because their sales department made me want to puke in my mouth) so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm giving my local service department a shot with the CAN-C and tow hitch issue (along with the distorted rear camera, USB plug and connectivity issue, and grinding breaks). I haven't used the service department (and have been reluctant because their sales department made me want to puke in my mouth) so we'll see how it goes.
I rank car salesmen as I do politicians.You know they are lying whenever they are talking.My last salesman I came out and asked him if he lets his kids lie like he does,he walked away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I rank car salesmen as I do politicians.You know they are lying whenever they are talking.My last salesman I came out and asked him if he lets his kids lie like he does,he walked away.
Sounds about right. I've put in for service at my local place and after 5 days they still haven't responded to my request....starting service off well. :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds about right. I've put in for service at my local place and after 5 days they still haven't responded to my request....starting service off well. :(
The only time I use dealer service is for recalls,or warranty work.Other than that,I stay away from them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only time I use dealer service is for recalls,or warranty work.Other than that,I stay away from them.
This is for warranty and recalls - my rear camera is distorted and brakes are squeeky after 10000 miles. Plus the recalls. I'll have to call them (though I really can't stand using them) so I can get this stuff taken care of. My REAL mechanic is a beast on the other hand.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is for warranty and recalls - my rear camera is distorted and brakes are squeeky after 10000 miles. Plus the recalls. I'll have to call them (though I really can't stand using them) so I can get this stuff taken care of. My REAL mechanic is a beast on the other hand.
My brakes squeak only in reverse,and only when it's cold out.I think it's just the rear shoes still bedding in.No squeaks or noise once I'm going forward.I only have 7500 miles on mine so far,in 13 months:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another twist to the story, and to return to the original topic, I called another dealer that was listing a couple of PMC's and they said ," They are considered sold. There is a large consignment order for a bunch of them". My local dealer still has 6 on the lot, still not listed on the website and still not "fixed" and is still sticking to his story. Are the parts taking that long to reach the dealer? This particular dealer cannibalized an unsold RPM 1500 to fix a sold RPM 1500 and six months later that truck was still not put back together. Anybody hearing anything ?
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The six PMC's are back on the website and have "recall complete" on <safercar.gov>. What I find strange is that they haven't been moved from their spots in the dealers muddy storage lot.
BG

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,500 Posts
The latest RC-IS55-16 dated 12/14/2016 Revision III December 2016
Safety Recall S55 - Transaxle Range Sensor Wire Harness is a three hour transplant. This also applies to Jeep Renagade diesel and gas, Chrysler 200, PMC and Fiat 500. It appears the software updates did not work. I did not look at build dates or codes that this applies too.
The six PMC's are back on the website and have "recall complete" on <safercar.gov>. What I find strange is that they haven't been moved from their spots in the dealers muddy storage lot.
BG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Trailer tow light module recall if not needed?

I keep getting the trailer tow light module recall notice even though my PMC Wagon does not have the trailer tow package or a dealer/aftermarket installed one.

I don't want to drop the van off at the dealer just to have them tell me hours later that nothing was needed. The other recalls have been done.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks
Alan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts