Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fish on the shore gasping for breath ;)
All is straight forward except there is a long bare copper wire coming out of the air con's electrical box on the 'inside', from that same side I pull in my Romex and make my normal connections-black to black white to white green to green. But that free floating copper wire, surely a ground wire is not mentioned in the instructions of the Coleman Mach 8 Cub that I (or Poor) can find and the apparatus above, the actual air conditioner itself, has no apparent screw for the ground wire and nothing that says GND. So yet another puzzle.
Anyone have a clue.

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
It's an extra bonding (ground) wire. The electric code requires 4 wires now for 220 vac lines such as electric dryers, electric stoves etc. Typically in a 220 vac circuit the red and the black wires would both be hot and each would carry 110 vac to make 220 vac, the white is the neutral and the bare copper is the ground. You are not running 220 vac in the circuit but rather just a 30 amp 110 vac line correct? All you need for 110 vac is a black wire for the hot side, white for the neutral and bare copper or green for the ground.

PS - solid wire like Romex is NOT recommended in vehicles you should always use stranded. Having said that most RV builders/converters use Romex because it's cheap and they don't care once it's gone out the door (same with Fiberglas insulation). In the real world if the Romex is well stapled or clipped down or in conduit and well supported to prevent stress at connection points it should be ok.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'30 amp 110 vac line correct?' yes sir.
Noted on the Romex, and glad to see a tie down for the Romex as it entered the aircons wiring box.
Well we made an executive decision and connected the bare 'extra' grounding wire to a wing nut on a
box above yet inside the whole apparatus, it was metal and connected to more metal.
Thanks KOV for commenting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts