Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 159
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve searched online and through here, but I just can’t find it! I have the UConnect stereo (5” screen) and I can’t seem to find any directions on how to get to the thing to remove it, nor removing it in general. Double din keys don’t work since there’s no insert.

Do I just pry off the outer housing cover and there’ll be screws underneath? Will that damage it? Help a dude out!

·
Registered
33 Posts
What year PM? On my 2016, there is a cover above the radio that just lifts up giving access to the mounting screws.

·
Super Moderator
10,653 Posts
What year PM? On my 2016, there is a cover above the radio that just lifts up giving access to the mounting screws.
The cover just doesn’t "lift up" you have to remove two screws first and in order to do that you need to pull the radio out a bit at least. I’ve pulled mine out on both the ‘14 & ‘20 with no difficulty I seem to recall there are 2 small holes on either side you need to insert a thin piece of wire (or something similar) and it comes right out. It’s been a few months since I did it to I can’t give the exact procedure but it certainly wasn’t any different than any other DIN radio.

·
Super Moderator
10,653 Posts
That looks nothing like any factory Promaster head end I’ve ever seen! Are you sure it’s even a Ram radio?

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 159
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cover just doesn’t "lift up" you have to remove two screws first and in order to do that you need to pull the radio out a bit at least. I’ve pulled mine out on both the ‘14 & ‘20 with no difficulty I seem to recall there are 2 small holes on either side you need to insert a thin piece of wire (or something similar) and it comes right out. It’s been a few months since I did it to I can’t give the exact procedure but it certainly wasn’t any different than any other DIN radio.
That's the issue I've been running into; I get using a double din tool, but looking closely at the photo there's no holes that I can see for it to be used! Possibly removing the fold on top of it? I've seen it already removed in some videos on YT, but that fold has to be removed after the head's already out.

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 159
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something looks different... there's an extra trim bezel.

Is this a PM City?
Nope, PM cargo. If it helps, most if not all of the used PM model's I've seen online had some variant of this UConnect stereo; I thought it might be aftermarket until I saw it in dozens of others online.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,568 Posts
Uconnect 3.0 Bluetooth,
Radio has 4 screws, but the screws are behind the bezel, maybe someone know how to remove the bezel.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
365 Posts
Looks like the bezel around the radio is pryed off to get to the screws
Agreed. Try prying (with a plastic tool) just above the A/C knobs. On my 2016 there is no separation there.

·
Super Moderator
10,653 Posts
Strange, my 2020 has the normal holes on each side to release it. The bezel must just pop off.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If it didn't work easy from the bottom as suggested, I'd imagine the bezel clips into the rectangles on the sides. I'd attempt to undo clips with trim tools inserted from the side. Just guessing though. Took me awhile to remove some trim because I refused to just tug. Turns out I needed to just tug... Also if you're replacing with a different system, it'll have a new bezel yes?

Use some tape/plastic/something to protect the rest of the dash from tool marks. Doesn't the fancy radio control roughly all the stuff on the cluster, if installed? Used to see people talking about how everything goes wonky if you pull the double din version out. I have the single din version, and it's been dead (for roughly a year), and I haven't really cared yet. I have a job site radio that honestly probably works better. Luckily I didn't buy a giant cargo van for the stereo system.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,691 Posts
* Just for the record, no one bought their giant Promaster cargo van for the Uconnect stereo system! 😁

It's disappointing that a few years back, FCA had a really good Uconnect system. In my wife's Journey, they put in an 8" Uconnect with Garmin GPS. It is a great unit with a backup camera you can actually see! At some point FCA changed radio vendors, dropped Garmin.

Noteable: The Thor Sequence (Promaster) has a completely non-Uconnect system.

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 159
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heads up for everyone: got the trim bezel off and new stereo installed. Just needs to be popped off. However, if you're going through Metra or Cutchifeld to get a placement harness the standard one that they have for systems using the UConnect 3 doesn't fit. LOT of work you'll have to do internally.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,691 Posts
Q&C, you might want to add a picture of the bezel and what's under it, so others who have it will know where to pry it off.

For future buyers: If you're planning on installing a better radio for your PM, then order your van with NO RADIO.

None of the systems in the van will interact and you can pretty much put in any radio that fits!.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Idk if no radio is still an option. The single din, basic radio doesn't control anything, but the backup camera is now mandatory I believe. Haven't been shopping lately, but I imagine they all come with the double din, screened model now. The camera is now standard rather than an option anyway

1 - 19 of 19 Posts