Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add a larger battery in the stock location. I noticed there is a little more room in the box for a longer (wider?) battery. Has anyone upgraded?

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's a question I'm curious about too. Though I'd likely wait until there is an affordable lithium replacement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to run a WiFi camera system and avoid the hassle/space issues with adding a second battery. I was able to do this in my Astro van with a somewhat stock battery, and it would last about two days before dying. As long as I started/drove the van before the two days was up, I was good. With the larger battery in the PM, I think I'd get three + days. (My van never sits for more than two days).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well...did a little more research today. The above-listed Diehard AGM is almost identical to our stock batt (albeit 50 add'l CCA). Reserve is the same.

Stock battery is 14" in length, but there is 16" of space available in the batt box.

Further research indicates a size/group 49/93 battery would fit (15"L x 7"W x 7.5"H). Also the H9/95R would fit.

However...the bigger batteries only offer more CCA's, not Reserve Capacity. This may be good for those of you in the Great White North, but does little for me who needs some extra reserve to run the cameras.

I did find one 95R battery that has 190 min. Reserve Capacity, but not sure 20 add'l RC is going to buy much time in my situation:

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/c...uck-batteries-van-batteries/group-95r-battery

It's looking like adding a second battery with an isolator is probably in my future.

·
Registered
765 Posts
In battery designs nearly nothing beats more weight as far as Amp-Hours goes; thinner plates and more surface area means higher cranking amps with less expense.

Looks like the MOPAR 95(discontinued) & 100AH BBAH9950AA batteries have weight & dimension spec's well hidden.

The heaviest H8/49 aftermarket batteries I've read about online are 58-60 pounds but there are some 50-pound batteries thrown in the mix, might be the 95/100AH differences in the OEM Batteries?

A quick check on the Group 95s - 105 to 110AH, 64.5 pounds, 15 1/2"x6 7/8"x7-1/2"H.

A word of warning on AGM batteries - temperature - the oversized battery box airspace helps keep temperatures down. I have tele-comm AGM's that spell out ANY charging once battery core has reached 108ºF will produce gas, scar the plates and leave voids in the glass mat the electrolyte will never be able to displace which spell out an early failure. The cooler you can keep 'working' batteries the longer they last so stuffing the OEM battery box full might not be so good a few years down the road....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I've used AGM batteries in all my vehicles for years (in the FL heat) without any early failures. I also use them to power remote cameras at construction sites without issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts