Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Why all this guessing? the 2020 owners manual is out.
View attachment 58996

The 90-liter capacity matches Ducato specs for standard fuel tank size. It also shows 60 and 120 as optional. It’s odd someone would choose the smaller 60-liter fuel tank, but after a little research, it seems the lower fuel capacity may be used to keep the weight as low as possible. In some countries weighing above 3,500 kg requires a different license.

120 liters = 31.7 US gallons
90 liters = 23.8 gallons
60 liters = 15.9 gallons

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It’s odd someone would choose the smaller 60-liter fuel tank, but after a little research, it seems the lower fuel capacity may be used to keep the weight as low as possible.
Found some references to using 60 L on their version of a class c. Trading diesel capacity for water capacity?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Found some references to using 60 L on their version of a class c. Trading diesel capacity for water capacity?
Exactly. Their common 3,500 kg (7,700 pounds) restriction must make it extremely difficult to design a Class C or A motorhome under that weight; and it’s loaded weight if I recall correctly. That’s probably why they develop lighter Diesel engines, offer composite leaf springs, etc. Every pound counts.

Many of their motorhomes are also small, no A/C, no generator, no slides, no microwave, small fridge, small cooktop, etc. compared to US requirements. I expect their mindset is closer to that of designing an airplane, not a house.

·
Registered
735 Posts
On the drive home from the dealership in PA, we were driving through some pretty steep up & down hills. Mpg wasnt great. Filling up half way home the the range said low 300s.
Once I drove it for a full tank on flat ground, it went back up to 400.
I haven't done any mpg calculations. Now that winter, long warm up and spinning tire season is here, I don't wanna look. I'll probably keep track once actual road trips start and I have to plan fuel stops.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just figured about 400 miles was some kind of standard range. The last five vehicles I’ve owned have been 400 miles. Of course, the Corolla only needs 12 gallons to get that far…
I agree that 400 miles of useable range is nice to have, and is therefore common. Range is one of those things we can argue that more is usually better, but beyond 400 miles it becomes much less important/beneficial.

My Class C had 55-gallon capacity, so 8 MPG X 50 gallons gave me 400 miles with 5 gallons in reserve. My E-350 van has 35 gallons, and unless I’m towing can get 400 miles easily. Even at high speeds 13 X 30 gets me in that range. At lower speeds I can get up to 17 MPG, so 500 mile range is doable. To empty I could probably get close to 600 miles.

I was looking at a used Trend and was thinking that 12 MPG X 20 useable gallons would limit driving to 240 miles, which isn’t close to ideal. That’s why the 120-liter fuel tank caught my attention. Even that wouldn’t yield 400 miles in a Class B+, but at least it’s over 300 miles.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts