Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has RAM offered a larger fuel tank option on the ProMaster?

The Ducato data shows 90 liters as standard, with 60 and 120 as options. One configuration even listed the larger 120-liter tank as standard. At 31.7 US gallons the extra gas could come in handy when towing or on motorhome applications. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts

The Ducato data shows 90 liters as standard, with 60 and 120 as options. One configuration even listed the larger 120-liter tank as standard. At 31.7 US gallons the extra gas could come in handy when towing or on motorhome applications. Any information is appreciated.
I'm with you! I would like to see a 36 gal fuel tank.

Has this group tried to keep a list of things that we would like to see in future editions of the promaster?

Some things seem so simple like:
Move the heated seat switches to the center dash.
Upgrade the Nav from TomTom.
Lower the seat bases.
Provide for a Mid-stop on the sliding side door.
Digital speedometer.
Cruise control that displays actual speed.
8 or 9 speed transmission.
LED Headlights.

BTW, my salesperson is still looking for my cargo net. It's been two weeks and I'll be darned if I'm going to tell him what a joke it really is.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

Depending on which engine the DEF tank or the vapor canister occupies the space, other wise the larger tank should just bolt in.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Let’s see 31.7 gal in my diesel times 26 mpg= 819 miles per tank. I’d be needing to stop more for sleeping than to fuel up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let’s see 31.7 gal in my diesel times 26 mpg= 819 miles per tank. I’d be needing to stop more for sleeping than to fuel up.
LOL, Well not all of us have diesels. And I'm not getting anywhere close to 26 mpg. A 36 gal tank would give me a range of about 600 miles. (and yes, I can drive that far without stopping).

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking a larger tank would be most useful for small motorhomes built on a PM Cutaway chassis, similar to Winnebago Trend (no longer in production). Owners often report getting about 12 MPG on the highway if not driving too fast, so practical range is probably about 240 miles.

For 2020 Model Year Transit, Ford added a 31 gallon optional fuel tank, and I’d have to guess that’s partly aimed at extending range of Class B+ and C motorhomes with gas engines. They also get about 12 MPG, so range is much less than with diesel.

Looking at MY 2020 PM specs I don’t even see the fuel tank capacity. It seems odd to me that they would have omitted such a critical item — unless I just missed it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe it’s 24 or 25 gallons. I typically put 17 gallons in when I fill up after about 300 miles / ¼ full
Yes, have seen it listed as 24 gallons in several spec lists.

In case anyone was wondering - with gasoline weighing around 6 lbs/gal that comes to 144 lbs fuel weight with a full tank. An extra 12 gallons would add 72 lbs of extra weight. Not really a big deal in these vans but 36 gallons would come to 216 lbs sloshing around while you drive.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I want to say I saw 26 gal on my 2019 spec sheet. I remember thinking it was the same as my truck, which was 26.4.
I'll take a look when I head out in a few.
My last fill-up I saw a range of 400 mi with my current MPG in an empty van. That's with combat driving during my 30min commute every day.
I often wondered how bad the mpg was on the heavy conversions. A bigger tank would make life a little easier on long trips.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wasn't guessing, stated it was listed as 24 gallons from several sources. Still wish it was 26.4 gal for the little extra range, mainly since I got way out in the middle of nowhere recently with less than 1/4 tank. My fault of course; just have to get used to having a vehicle with more than 4 cylinders again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One of my larger beefs with my 2018 is it's lack of range. Effective range of my truck hovers at about 320 miles, less if pulling a trailer. This is enough to get me where I'm going but requires me to fill up nearly twice as often as I used to with my T1N- not a terrible imposition but there are 5 trips I make each year that require a minimum range of 300 miles and I have to carry a spare fuel jug for safety, which sucks.

Earlier this summer my instrument cluster plastic split and was replaced under warranty. The new cluster seems to think seems to think my van has at least a 32 gallon tank now as it consistently calculates my range at 600 miles at each fill, and reports I have another 200 miles range when there is less than 3 gallons left in the tank. I am awaiting another cluster.... but I'd rather have the larger fuel tank!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I just checked and I was wrong.
Sticker says 24 gallons.
Not sure where I got 26.
Either dyslexia or dementia.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Truck is gone.
I can just add an addition to the tank.
How hard can it be?
A 5 gal gas can, some piping, a little silicone? Boom! Easy!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It's best if you spend $1k per 5 gallons of added capacity, that way you get bragging rights :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts