Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
...cut...
"Clearance lamps required on wide vehicles"

(a) every commercial motor vehicle and trailer having a width at any part in excess of 2.05 metres, ...cut...

"Identification lamps"
"... every commercial motor vehicle or combination of a commercial motor vehicle and a trailer having a length in excess of 9.2 metres or a width ...cut...
In the US, the FMVSS (Federal Regulation) Stardard 108 (lighting) doesn't distinguish between commercial and private.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Indiana State Police said the same vague thing with the new light law here.

According to Michigan law the van falls under the truck definition, and trucks with clearance and identification lights they shall be amber or red.

Indiana law is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Lol, crazy, right?!?
I've been in freight for 19 years, the last 4-5 I've been expediting with cargo vans. They fall in this gray area of, if we drive straight, they don't even look our way!!! In Michigan,
your drivers and passengers windows can not be tinted anymore than 4 inches from the top, the rest are whatever the legal law is...but, my van is allowed to have full legal tint because it travels into different states( and fmcsa passed a law that commercial trucks can use tint), but is not considered a cmv(until i hook a trailer)...but I'm not required to run commercial plates, bypass scales, no lie book(i mean log book😂/forum/images/PromasterForum_2014/smilies/tango_face_wink.png, etc, so I'm just another shmuck tooling down the road . Really kind of a weird segment of vehicles, where the versatility is so wide. My hockey buddy is a d.o.t. cop in Monroe county here where i live, and he says they aren't worried about these vans....Even in the border towns like Laredo and El Paso, are worry free...
Indiana State Police said the same vague thing with the new light law here.

According to Michigan law the van falls under the truck definition, and trucks with clearance and identification lights they shall be amber or red.

Indiana law is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I agree that cops don't worry bout vans conforming to the clearance and identification light regs, it's just another van.

If I remove the roof lights would anyone notice or care? The only people who would notice would be another PM owner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree that cops don't worry bout vans conforming to the clearance and identification light regs, it's just another van.

If I remove the roof lights would anyone notice or care? The only people who would notice would be another PM owner.
Yeah, no doubt!!! I wanted to remove them and put block out plates up there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I guess I don't understand why people are concerning themselves with the marker lights - either removing them or replacing them with LED. I don't see where it gets any benefit to remove them, or to replace them with LED. Sure, if I had one go out, I would replace it with an amber LED, just to keep from having to replace it again, but I don't understand why people are wanting to remove them and cover the holes, unless it is a clash with a topper (my PH top does not come near the lights so I don't care).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I think 1 poster talked about removing the front ones and 1 former poster actually removed the front ones. A few have switched to LEDs it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I guess I don't understand why people are concerning themselves with the marker lights - either removing them or replacing them with LED. I don't see where it gets any benefit to remove them, or to replace them with LED. Sure, if I had one go out, I would replace it with an amber LED, just to keep from having to replace it again, but I don't understand why people are wanting to remove them and cover the holes, unless it is a clash with a topper (my PH top does not come near the lights so I don't care).
The marker lights are already led. Atleast mine are, it's a 2017. I just changed the color. Its a common theme...Especially the pickup trucks around me, and from what i see on the road. Just like any other modifications, its all about individual expression. I didn't like the fact that the amber in the markers are a different shade than the turn/parking lamp. The white leds have a better aesthetic appeal to me, since i feel they flow better with the led headlight/foglight bulbs. The blockoff plates are good, because then you don't have to worry about them being burnt out and being a "probable cause" ...especially like me where i do time sensitive freight.
I'm a car guy, so for me, it's natural to do little subtle things to the vehicle i drive 2000 miles or so a week. Trying to crowdfund my "The Mystery Machine" wrap!! Then those markers will be green😂😂

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yup, and funny you would hope that.
Nothing funny about it really. What people often forget when monkeying with their lights is that the lights are not just there for them; the lights are for other drivers to interpret what they are looking at during limited visibility. Exterior lights should be functional, not decorative.

Did you ever look at a line of cars and notice that all tail lights are essentially the same shade of red? That's not just dumb luck.

White lights tell somebody you are coming at them. (Hey look at that - back up lights are white!) Red lights mean the object is not coming at them. Green lights have no place on a vehicle, etc

An arbitrary number and position of lights can be dangerous if it introduces confusion to other drivers. I'm not not saying your proposal does, but that is the concern.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone installed these LED s with the fans operating inside the headlights ? The video of these blue ones have loud fans 🤔
Also are you guys securing the canbus modules inside the headlight units ?
I bought some but they didn’t come with the canbus modules so I haven’t tried them - figured they would trigger the error light .

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Has anyone installed these LED s with the fans operating inside the headlights ? The video of these blue ones have loud fans 🤔
Also are you guys securing the canbus modules inside the headlight units ?
I bought some but they didn’t come with the canbus modules so I haven’t tried them - figured they would trigger the error light .
I have an H11 replacement LED with those fans. It is replacing a failed aftermarket Xenon bulb in a 3.3 litre V6 SUV. We cannot hear it over the sound of a running engine.

The output is brighter than that of the aftermarket Xenon bulb but the pattern is not good (a blob of light, no sharp cut off).

BUT, the installation was done in the dead of winter, I was freezing and I rammed it in quickly. I think I might not have installed them with the proper orientation. I think I need to rotate them so that the 2 LEDs on the bulb are oriented left-right.

I had vowed I'd look into it when it was warmer but now my PM build is going full swing... Though because the bulb seems to be working, I'd want to proactively replace the stock PM ones. So I do have incentive to resolve the light pattern problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered two sets and clips earlier today. These were shorter ones with fans and supposedly metal clips to hold them in the socket base

Attachments

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Please report back on their performance.

Brightness, pattern, hotspots, ease of installation, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are in. Absolutely right the clips are useless. I RTVed the bases to the housings. Nice thing with these is that they are adjustable to allow the correct orientation of the led head.
My only gripe is they do cause interference in my stereo sometimes 🤔.
These are the shorter backs so they fit with lots of room. Easy install with the typical headlight removal .
I’ll adjust them tonight or tomorrow night.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I installed them last week. Clips are useless as expected so the new aluminum bases got RTV silicones in place.. A nice feature with these are they are adjustable so the led can be turned to be orientated for the led to beam left and right.
Everything installed ok though the canbus modules are just loose in the light housings .
The one problems is I do get interfere in the radio some times when they are on.

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
12 Participants
AcCT
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing