Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
19’ Promaster 2500 136” DIY Camper Build
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my Promaster from the shop. I went with BFG KO’2s in stock tire size, Black Rhino Havasu Rims, Black Lug Bolts, and 1.5” VanCompass leveling kit. Overall van rides pretty good Not much difference from stock. I haven’t noticed any difference in my view when driving. I’m real happy with the look and stance now.

Rims 1675HAV455130B84 16x7.5 5x130 45mm
Tires BFG KO2’s 225/75/R16 E
Lug Bolts Acorn Seat 19mm M16 1.5x30mm (stock wont fit these rims

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Looks Cool 👍

Nice Choices. I have KO2s on my Ram 1500 4x4 pickup & on my Jeep Rubicon & really like them. On my pickup, after the dealer screwed around with balancing them, finally they got it right & only by “road forcing” the tires & rims. Now I can’t detect any imbalance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks great! I'm considering the same but am spooked by a disclaimer on the VC website, in the installation instructions link, to premature wear from the increased angle of the cv and sway bar links resulting from lift. Did the installers give you any cautions or advice about warranty issues related to wear on cv joints and shafts?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks great! I'm considering the same but am spooked by a disclaimer on the VC website, in the installation instructions link, to premature wear from the increased angle of the cv and sway bar links resulting from lift. Did the installers give you any cautions or advice about warranty issues related to wear on cv joints and shafts?
Thanks I appreciate it. I have owned and lifted myself over a dozen different vehicles, early wear is subjective depending on the current life of your CVs and lift size. The 1.5” lift is mild and isn’t severe enough to cause any measureable early wear in my experience. The issue is that if you already have 100k miles on your vehicle then do the lift the new CV angle will usually bring to light any previous wear issues or make them more severe. The sway bar links are nothing to worry about, the rubber boots will wear out far before the joints. The higher lifts 2” and above will 100% cause premature wear because the drive shaft angle would be pushed to its tolerance limits for sure at normal ride height. I had a local 4x4 shop install them, they give you the normal warnings after any lift is installed. In my opinion its a small spacer no different than adding heavy duty springs to a vehicle. My vehicle has about 7k miles on it now and the ride difference isn’t even noticeable with this mild leveling kit. One thing to keep in mind is that the factory stink bug rake will always give you better drive ability and road manners just due to the suspension geometry and caster angle. A Toyota tech once explained this to me by using a shopping cart analogy, at level height the wheels tend to wander, but when you raise the rear the front tires track in the same direction they are pointing, but FYI the leveling kit doesn’t completely level the PM it just greatly reduced the stink bug look. Another thing to keep in mind is that people usually add larger heavier tires when they lift adding a whole new dimension to the way the vehicle drives and handles, the lift plus larger heavier tires tends to stack the negative road manners. I kept the stock tire size to reduce these issues. I hope this helps explain things a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Chuy—Your van looks great! ...I’m thinking I might do the exact same thing on mine. I checked out those Havasu wheels on the Black Rhino website—I noticed they have a few backspacing options. Do you know which part number or backspacing your wheels are? Also, are those BFG’s load range E? Thanks! -David

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks David I appreciate the comment. Yes the tires are load range E, below are the specs for tires rims and needed lug bolts that work with the rims the stock ones won’t fit the holes on the rims.

Rims 1675HAV455130B84 16x7.5 5x130 45mm
Tires BFG KO2’s 225/75/R16 E
Lug Bolts Acorn Seat 19mm M16 1.5x30mm (stock wont fit these rims)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now that you've had the 1.5" level for about a week, do you notice any handling differences? Any increase in sway?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Now that you've had the 1.5" level for about a week, do you notice any handling differences? Any increase in sway?
Since my first post I have done about 1k miles with a mix of daily driving, highway, and freeway. Feels fine overall and as expected with a lift and heavier aggressive tires. All of the normal negatives from AT tires are present. The negative effects are more compounded on the highways with patchy road work when doing 75mph. I use this as my daily driver so around town and on the freeway very little noticeable difference from when I had it stock. It’s when you get at highway speeds and have sudden high winds that the effects are most noticeable. Honestly I’m use to all of these factors since nearly every vehicle I have owned has had a lift and larger more aggressive tires. I haven’t noticed any issues with sway and I also have CTA swivel seats. Everything just gets a little worse when it comes to driving dynamics at higher speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the update—that sounds like about what I’d expect. I’ve always driven lifted vehicles with larger tires, too. Everything’s a trade-off—I think yours is smart because it’s a modest lift with stock size tires, but you’ll have better traction and an awesome look while keeping mileage and handling close to that of a stock PM.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey PACMAN thanks you so much for that response, Im a noob and an avid PMF reader and I just didn’t want anyone to be blindsided by the results based on other non-so honest results and experiences or any you tube videos. I purchased this kit with my money and paid the auxiliary install price. I’m so glad you are an avid off road driver and can relate to the experience, it makes it so much easier to explain. I honestly would love to offer my van for a shake down drive to any owners who wish to do this mod, IMHO its a serious mod that may break or make an experience. I am in AZ and we have very rough off road dirt roads, and this mod was based off 20+ years off unimproved backroad AZ experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep--I live outside Asheville, NC now, but I lived in Flagstaff for a few years, spent a lot of time driving in your AZ deserts. Those roads are no joke! Having good tires and a slightly higher front end is definitely a responsible mod. I'm switching over to a Promaster from driving Tacomas for decades. I wish I could keep my truck, but it makes more financial sense for me to use the PM for everything and save money. The van will never be able to get to all the places those trucks can, but with careful driving, I think it will be capable of getting to a lot of remote campsites and almost all of my favorite trailheads. ...I've been doing tons of research, and I think as far as the stance, wheels and tires, your PM is my favorite out there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a real nice setup. I definitely like the 1.5" leveling look. I have a 2015 1500 high top which is an amazing vehicle. I installed only 1 airbag on drivers side to level side to side. I have drivers side shelving and it's loaded with tools and nails, etc... It's got about 22,000 miles on it and besides headlights burning out and the radio turning on and off every minute, It's been flawless. I have one more rotation left on the tires. At that time I'm doing the complete package you have. M ine came with the Aluminum wheels and until I saw yours I haven't seen a set I wanted to switch to.

P.S. I just ordered the LED conversion bulbs and I have a complete plug and play harness and radio I bought 6 months ago waiting to go in. I don't drive it far so the radio doesn't bother me. And I rarely drive it after working hours so I've been using the fog lamps and leaving the headlights off to avoid a ticket. It's amazing just how many Promasters have a headlight out. LOL It should be a recall. If the LED conversion works well, I'll do the fog lamps. I never use the high beams. Now I can't wait to wear out the tires. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts