Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I've left my paper to-go coffee cup with plastic lid in the door a few times.
No matter how hard a slam the door, it always spills.
Anyway, until and if I make something, the holder in the door is probably my go to spot.
The in door holder is twice the distance from the hinge as location I used, so half the movement, half the speed.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Does it interfere with the airbags in the seat at all? I would think having either driver left or passenger right arm rest would impede the air bag deployment, but maybe I'm wrong. Did you just use a passenger arm rest for the left driver side?
Good question! I'm not sure.

My quest for one was on the back of my mind but a couple of people who've successfully done it here gave me the encouragement to order one. So I'm hoping it will not interfere.

@Baxsie was the latest person to do it and he wrote it up here and has a blog article on his website for it--but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe he can comment.

The armrest I bought is different from the one Baxsie used. He used a leather one. The one I bought is marketed as a generic armrest but looks identical to the RAM passenger left armrest according to the photo.

The due date for mine is Aug 1 and I will be able to report on this issue more when I install it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not for the faint of heart :

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Not for the faint of heart :

Thanks again for posting your results and warning. I did see your blog post before...but I glossed over your cautions...

I have a bit of an advantage in that I'm the only driver and, further, I made a DIY partition behind me for safety and security. I have the seat adjusted the way I want (and thus won't need to move it) and so I could simply bolt the armrest to the partition in the position I want. :D Credit @phil for inspiring my hack.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would like to say the knobs were designed specifically for a work van and therefore the knobs are simple to use and easy to grab with gloves on, which they are. But, like a lot of the PM’s interior features, they are just a couple generations behind the latest cars and SUVs. Those knobs, and the cupholders that are a bit too tight for a 44 oz drink, are straight out of every Mopar rental car from 2008-2012 I ever drove.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
and my RH3 radio knobs are small, the work glove theory isn't panning out.
IIRC it's more about the manufacturer designing controls so the driver spends less time fiddle f***ing around with the controls and more time watching the road. With a quick glance you can move and see what position the climate controls are in. If it's your daily driver you can probably change the HVAC setting without even looking.
Some are changing electronic controls back to knobs because the driver spends to much time on touch screen controls.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
IIRC it's more about the manufacturer designing controls so the driver spends less time fiddle f***ing around with the controls and more time watching the road.
If the manufacturer cared about keeping your eyes on the road, it wouldn’t have put the cup holders on the floor.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yeah, as I cruise through life, the more I see that people go to school and come out with "degrees" in engineering and design, but a very small % of them have a natural gift for it. I guess it's like that with any profession.
But it's perspective. Many of the design features in the van are very basic, "out dated", non user friendly, etc. But it's a $30k delivery van. They didn't spend top dollar on the best designers and engineers for this thing. If you expect more, buy a better vehicle or better yet, become an engineer/designer and add to the talent pool. The world needs it.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
If you expect more, buy a better vehicle
Except there isn’t a better vehicle for our purpose. PM is the best there is.

I just wish they’d make the black parts the more pleasant lighter grey. Imagine how much larger the cab would feel without all that black! I get tempted to paint it, but I fear it would scratch and the black show through.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yeah, as I cruise through life, the more I see that people go to school and come out with "degrees" in engineering and design, but a very small % of them have a natural gift for it. I guess it's like that with any profession.
But it's perspective. Many of the design features in the van are very basic, "out dated", non user friendly, etc. But it's a $30k delivery van. They didn't spend top dollar on the best designers and engineers for this thing. If you expect more, buy a better vehicle or better yet, become an engineer/designer and add to the talent pool. The world needs it.
I totally agree, there is only a small % of people equipped to think at a high level of abstract thought & creativity. The really good Architects have a natural flair for art (the science can be learned @ university). Without a good design the build is not as successful.

The other thing I will include here; tradespeople who built “stuff” (maybe not so much in such a defined build as a commercial vehicle) also are the end “designers”. What I mean by that is if we consider “construction” all designs are incomplete & design considerations & choice has to be performed by the tradesperson (things as simple as placement of fasteners - which is really design).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Except there isn’t a better vehicle for our purpose. PM is the best there is
I agree, out of the 3 HT vans, I like the PM the best for a diy camper van, for many reasons.
I meant, buy a better vehicle, like....a Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If the manufacturer cared about keeping your eyes on the road, it wouldn’t have put the cup holders on the floor.
I agree, it's a poor design, but (guessing here) the designer had a mandate to add cup holders and keep cost down. But cup holders can be used without looking at them.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
You must be taller than we are. For either of us to use the bottom cup holders, we must lean so far over that we cannot see the road. They are for passenger use only. This is why an alternative was absolute top priority.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts